PDA

View Full Version : How robust is the new Squeezebox controller?

Lesu
2008-03-06, 13:18
Having just watched my Squeezebox controller's battery cover fly off in two pieces after dropping some 2 feet onto a wooden floor, I wonder how the new controller would have fared. Sticky tape is now holding the cover in place and on a cheap remote that's OK.
When the controller is nearly as expensive as the player, then you really want a bounce, not a break! How robust is the new controller and has anyone thought about how they are going to protect their precious new acquisition from that inevitable fall?

Skunk
2008-03-06, 14:19
Having just watched my Squeezebox controller's battery cover fly off in two pieces after dropping some 2 feet onto a wooden floor
Arggh, and let me guess... the batteries rolled underneath something. Lots of remotes seem to suffer from this, and even my cell phone does it. The Controller's cover is much more secure, which is great unless the cover popping off is some kind of defense mechanism.

I wonder how the new controller would have fared.

I've doubled that drop (desk height) onto a wood floor and there was no damage to the controller. It fell off my lap once too. May depend on if the wood floor is on joists or a slab, and I certainly wouldn't want to see it hit concrete/tile.

has anyone thought about how they are going to protect their precious new acquisition from that inevitable fall?

I'm going to stop standing it up on its sides, because even though it seems stable, it eventually falls over every time. I'll probably also try to kick it right before it hits the ground next time, to ease some of the downward momentum.

ModelCitizen
2008-03-06, 14:50
Having just watched my Squeezebox controller's battery cover fly off in two pieces after dropping some 2 feet onto a wooden floor, I wonder how the new controller would have fared. Sticky tape is now holding the cover in place and on a cheap remote that's OK.
Yes, I'm worried about this one. The same has happned to my Transporter backlit remote. Someone dropped it, the battery cover broke off and now it's stuck on with tape.

I think the battery cover on the new remote is fixed much better and will not break off if dropped, but if you left it on the floor and someone trod on it it's quite likely to break. At least, that's my nightmare.

MC

bpa
2008-05-24, 03:35
It's locked only at the top and the bottom, not at the sides

Strange - my controller case cover has two side fins which have a ridge which locks with the case.

bpa
2008-05-24, 04:13
Take an even closer look lengthways and you will see a ridge on the fin which locks into the slot to prevent upwards movement.