PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter setup - UNC path inconsistencies

tfieldho
2008-03-05, 21:52
Hi all, I pre-ordered a Duet and thought I'd preload SqueezeCenter on my Windows Home Server since it's been released and I'm waiting (impatiently) for the hardware to ship.

All of my music is located on a network share (\\server\music). During the SqueezeCenter Install I can type the UNC for the path to my Library but it won't accept back-slashes for the path to my playlists. I thought I'd have to map a drive (which won't work, since SqueezeCenter will be running as a service with noone logged into the server console). Then I found out that the playlist configuration will accept forward slashes (//server/music).

Is this typical? Or am I doing something wrong?

MeSue
2008-03-05, 23:13
If SqueezeCenter is installed on the server and your music is all on the server, you don't need to use the UNC paths. Mine is like this in settings:
Music: D:\shares\Music
Playlists: D:\shares\Music\Playlists

I don't know if using UNC paths is any better or worse, but this is the way that works for me.

tfieldho
2008-03-06, 09:15
Thanks for the reply.

Using the local drive path may work as long as you're not modifying files but could cause issues with the Drive Extender filter since the MS supported method of access to shared folders is only through the UNC paths on WHS. Since we're not really supposed to be actively editing content directly from WHS until the corruption bug is fixed write access is really moot as this point but I'd still prefer to be on the safe side and stick to UNC paths for share access.

Have others noticed the flip-flop behavior with the (back)slashes in the SqueezeCenter installation?

MeSue
2008-03-06, 10:46
SqueezeCenter only needs to know where the music is. It doesn't modify the files at all so I don't see how this would be unsafe.

Well, okay, it could modify playlists, but I create my playlists outside of SC and just read them.

Would be curious to know how other WHS users are doing it, so I hope you get more input.

MeSue
2008-03-06, 10:51
Have others noticed the flip-flop behavior with the (back)slashes in the SqueezeCenter installation?

FYI: I just went in to settings and changed the two paths from "D:\shares\Music" to "\\SERVER\Music" clicked apply, and it was accepted. I didn't take it further than that.

Did you change the startup options after you installed SC on the server to have it run as a service?

tfieldho
2008-03-06, 12:11
FYI: I just went in to settings and changed the two paths from "D:\shares\Music" to "\\SERVER\Music" clicked apply, and it was accepted. I didn't take it further than that.ok, I'll assume it's just a foible in the setup wizard. Thanks for checking :)

Did you change the startup options after you installed SC on the server to have it run as a service?Yep. I have it up and running as a service. Service control manager shows it as started and set to automatic with the correct user account listed.

MuckleEck
2008-03-17, 17:05
SqueezeCenter only needs to know where the music is. It doesn't modify the files at all so I don't see how this would be unsafe.

Well, okay, it could modify playlists, but I create my playlists outside of SC and just read them.

Would be curious to know how other WHS users are doing it, so I hope you get more input.

I use the UNC path for both the music folder and the playlists, I understand that WHS will not work properly if you use non-UNC paths to access the files, something to do with the duplication.

Zaragon
2008-03-18, 14:05
As long as you use the d:\shares\ you should be OK. You certainly shouldn't use the other folders you might find, the ones named using all numbers. That would totally destroy the file structure.

However, it is strongly suggested that you use the UNC paths. If for no other reason that abstraction. The d:\shares\ paths could change for any number of reasons in the future but the network share \\server\music would be repointed at its new location. Thus using UNC shouldn't break anything using d:\shares\music might break in the future.

MeSue
2008-03-18, 14:52
You talked me into it. I changed the paths and its rescanning now.

byKnight
2008-03-18, 17:51
If SqueezeCenter is installed on the server and your music is all on the server, you don't need to use the UNC paths. Mine is like this in settings:
Music: D:\shares\Music
Playlists: D:\shares\Music\Playlists

I don't know if using UNC paths is any better or worse, but this is the way that works for me.

If you have folder duplication turned on for your Music folder, using the UNC path ensures SqueezeCenter will still see all your music if a drive fails, without any settings changes to SqueezeCenter.