PDA

View Full Version : SlimCenter 7.0 won't play OGG files

puzzler
2008-03-05, 10:01
Ever since the firmware update, I can no longer play my ogg files. How do I fix this?

Thanks.

CatBus
2008-03-05, 11:00
More detail needed. I'm running SC7 also and my ogg files play fine.

What ogg encoder/quality are you using? Are you using native playback or transcoding on the server? Do other media formats play okay? That sort of thing.

puzzler
2008-03-05, 12:07
The Ogg is a stereo file with an average bitrate of 64kb.
I don't remember exactly what quality level that corresponds to.
I encoded this a year or so ago, using dbPowerAmp.

It used to work fine on my SqueezeBox (purchased just a few months ago, so the software should all be current).

I first noticed a problem a few days ago, after the forced firmware upgrade to access Pandora on SqueezeNetwork. At that point, whenever I went back to playing from my own music library, it would force me to downgrade the firmware, but Oggs wouldn't play.

I hoped that upgrading the server to version 7 would help, but it didn't.

My mp3s play fine.

I believe it is set up to play oggs directly, rather than transcode. How do I double-check this in the new server interface?

puzzler
2008-03-05, 13:03
OK, I think I found the place in the settings, and it does say it is using NATIVE decoding for Ogg.

It appears the problem is strictly with the 64kbs oggs; my higher-bitrate oggs are working fine.

So, how did this get broken by upgrade, and how to fix?

funkstar
2008-03-05, 14:11
Raise a bug at http://bugs.slimdevices.com/ that way the appropriate devs will be sure to see it.

CatBus
2008-03-05, 16:16
Not sure what changed in the recent firmwares that would break that, but the native Ogg decoder (tremor) had to have serious bodywork done to it in order to make it fit in the firmware to begin with (i.e. it's not the "stock" tremor decoder anymore). This modified decoder has been known to have problems with Ogg files where the bitrate spikes too high to handle, but at 64bps (Q0) you should never be anywhere near those limits.

I agree that you should open a bug and see what that reveals. Until then transcode Ogg at the server and you should be fine.

puzzler
2008-03-05, 21:06
So I changed native to disabled in the ogg section, and the file now plays. But I'm wondering what's happening behind the scenes. Is it transcoding to flac, or mp3?

radish
2008-03-05, 21:32
So I changed native to disabled in the ogg section, and the file now plays. But I'm wondering what's happening behind the scenes. Is it transcoding to flac, or mp3?

FLAC, as that's the preferred format for an SB3