PDA

View Full Version : Updating to SC 7.0?

never2clever
2008-03-04, 07:08
If I want to update to SqueezeCenter 7.0 (I'm running slimserver 6.5.4), do I need to uninstall SS 6.5 first?

Is there a way to get it to automatically do an update (I thought I saw somewhere that the SB was auto-updating)?

Thanks!

mherger
2008-03-04, 07:13
> If I want to update to SqueezeCenter 7.0 (I'm running slimserver 6.5.4),
> do I need to uninstall SS 6.5 first?

If you're on Windows, then the SC installer will take care of uninstalling SS6.5 first.

> Is there a way to get it to automatically do an update (I thought I saw
> somewhere that the SB was auto-updating)?

The SB can do an auto-update of the firmware, but SC has to be updated by yourself.

--

Michael

slimpy
2008-03-04, 07:14
If you are on windows you can install over your current setup.
The installation process should migrate your settings, uninstall 6.5 and install 7.0.
Your SB will prompt you to update the firmware, press and hold brightness on the remote to initiate the update.

-s.

bobkoure
2008-03-04, 07:20
You need to download SC7 and install it.
It will keep your SS6 settings (at least it did for me, and I've gone back and forth between 6 and 7 a few times during the beta period).
It now installs and runs as an application (at least on windows) - read the info panel that comes up on how to change that so it runs as a service. It's very easy.
If you have plugins that did not come directly with SS6, you will need to find updated versions that work with SC7 (go back to wherever you got the SS6 ones).
You do not need Pandora or Music IP plugins any more as that functionality is now built in (probably a number of others, too - those are just the two I've been using).
If you've been using a different interface (like fishbone), you can still select that - but the default interface, IMHO, is really nice, so maybe give that a whirl.

There'll be new firmware for your SqueezeBox - which will install semi-automatically. All you have to do is hold down the "brightness" button on your remote to tell the SB that it's OK to update.

OK, it figures that helpful folks will be all over the forum today. You can pretty much ignore this post as this was an unanswered question when I clicked on "respond", so it just duplicates what just got said.

rydenfan
2008-03-04, 07:36
what about on a Mac? Also, if I downloaded the beta about two weeks ago do I need to do the update?

radish
2008-03-04, 08:40
what about on a Mac? Also, if I downloaded the beta about two weeks ago do I need to do the update?

It should install over the top without problems. You should certainly do the update as it has changed every day for the last 2 weeks!

slimpy
2008-03-04, 09:32
It should install over the top without problems. You should certainly do the update as it has changed every day for the last 2 weeks!
Your clone 112 has the same question.
It must be hard to do knowledge transfer if there's 112 of you out there :-)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44167

-s.

radish
2008-03-04, 09:45
Your clone 112 has the same question.
It must be hard to do knowledge transfer if there's 112 of you out there :-)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44167

-s.

Must be my distant cousin Wasabi :)

jdbaker
2008-03-05, 11:47
"It now installs and runs as an application (at least on windows) - read the info panel that comes up on how to change that so it runs as a service. It's very easy."

What are the advantages/disadvantages, I have limited memory on a fairly old machine (Windowsxp/2ghz,P4/1gig ram) SS6.5 ran fine, which way should I go.

Thanks,

JDB

radish
2008-03-05, 11:56
"It now installs and runs as an application (at least on windows) - read the info panel that comes up on how to change that so it runs as a service. It's very easy."

What are the advantages/disadvantages, I have limited memory on a fairly old machine (Windowsxp/2ghz,P4/1gig ram) SS6.5 ran fine, which way should I go.

Thanks,

JDB

The main difference is when it starts. If running as a service (as 6.5 did) then it will start as soon as the machine boots up. If running as an application, it will only run when the correct user logs in. I much prefer to run as a service, and if you ran 6.5 without problems I'd recommend sticking to the service too.

SamS
2008-03-05, 17:58
Hi,

I'm running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17367 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252 which I installed a few weeks ago. Do I need to reinstall the "new" version released yesterday?

radish
2008-03-05, 18:14
Hi,

I'm running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17367 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252 which I installed a few weeks ago. Do I need to reinstall the "new" version released yesterday?

I'd recommend it.