PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

Svanur
2008-03-04, 06:36
Hello, I saw somewhere on Internet a advertisement about a Logitech Squeezebox Controller. What I would like to know if it is possible to use my Media Center 2005 (MS) with that device? What I'm trying to do is, when I sit in my garden, to use my speakers, which are hanging outside on the wall, via this controller. If I think this will work I would imagine the following setup: buy Squeezebox controller and download SqueezeCenter 7 software. Install it on my Media Center 2005 PC. All my music is on a W2K03 server and I play it via my Media Center PC in my livingroom. The PC is digitally attached to my surround receiver, which sends the sound to the speakers in my livingroom and, if I want too, outside in my garden. Could this SqueezeCenter software run on the same Media Center PC and can I use then the Controller to select and play the music when I'm sitting in the garden?? I have WiFi at home.

Hope you guys out there understand my question?

Thanks for any reply,

Best regards,

Svanur.

MuckleEck
2008-03-04, 06:53
Svanur,

If I understand you correctly this is what you have

Music W2K03 -> PC MCE -> AV Receiver -> Speakers (internal and external)

If so then

1) Install Squeezecenter on the PC MCE or W2K03 and scan music
2) Install Softsqueeze on the PC MCE and point it at Squeezecenter
3) Use the Squeezebox Controller to Control Softsqueeze via your wireless network

You can download and install 1 & 2 to see if you like the setup and check that the output is ok, before buying the controller.

Svanur
2008-03-04, 07:13
So it should be possible...? right now I'm downloading SqueezeCenter but where can I find SoftSqueeze? If I understand it correctly, SoftSqueeze is like a mediaplayer and if that works good I could replace it with an controller???

MuckleEck
2008-03-04, 07:26
When you run Squeezecenter, it will say there are no players available, under extras (mid to bottom left of the home screen) there will be a link to download softsqueeze (free software version of the Squeezebox)

Once downloaded it will play your music on your PC.

Yes Softsqueeze is a mediaplayer. But no, it will not be replaced with the controller, the controller will act as the remote control for softsqueeze, as it can act as a remote for the Squeezebox.

Svanur
2008-03-04, 08:18
MuckleEck,

Thanks very much for your replies!!! I'm gonna try this out!
I'll keep you (guys) posted.

Thx,

Svanur.

radish
2008-03-04, 08:28
It's also worth noting that the controller is not currently available for purchase on it's own - only as part of the duet bundle. That will change in the future but I don't think a date has been set.

Svanur
2008-03-04, 08:34
Well, see this screendump from a Dutch site on Internet (www.wifisound.nl:)

It should come the middle/end of March...

MuckleEck
2008-03-04, 09:22
It's also worth noting that the controller is not currently available for purchase on it's own - only as part of the duet bundle. That will change in the future but I don't think a date has been set.

It seems that different places have different rules about whether the Duet is available as separate items or not, in the UK, France and it seems the Netherlands it is available as two separate items but not in the USA...strange ....

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-04, 09:27
It seems that different places have different rules about whether the Duet is available as separate items or not, in the UK, France and it seems the Netherlands it is available as two separate items but not in the USA...strange ....

Maybe resellers are breaking up Duet packages into SBC and SBR?

All the info from Mountain View says they're only shipping Duet packages.

nacmacfeegle
2008-03-04, 09:43
Svanur, you don't say whether you can recieve WiFi in your garden, if so, you should be okay.

Softsqueeze could be installed on a laptop (or nokia tablet etc) to try all this out before you commit, which is what I did a year or so ago to try the setups before I bought any squeezeboxes. Its free so what do you have to lose!

Svanur
2008-03-04, 10:28
Yep I have WiFi coverage in my garden, the signal is not so strong but should be okay. I use a laptop in the garden and that works okay.

BTW: tested the squeezecenter and softsqueeze software and it works. have to try it via wifi, do it later on with my laptop...

I'll keep you posted

Grtz,

Svanur.

Svanur
2008-03-07, 11:47
Does anybody know if the speed (cover art, going thru the library), when you use the controller, with the SoftSqueeze software or with the receiver is different? In other words, would there be a reason why to buy the receiver also (the duet combo) ??

bhaagensen
2008-03-07, 12:16
Does anybody know if the speed (cover art, going thru the library), when you use the controller, with the SoftSqueeze software or with the receiver is different? In other words, would there be a reason why to buy the receiver also (the duet combo) ??

No speed difference. Go for the combo if you need the hardware player.

maggior
2008-03-07, 13:41
When you run Squeezecenter, it will say there are no players available, under extras (mid to bottom left of the home screen) there will be a link to download softsqueeze (free software version of the Squeezebox)

Once downloaded it will play your music on your PC.

Yes Softsqueeze is a mediaplayer. But no, it will not be replaced with the controller, the controller will act as the remote control for softsqueeze, as it can act as a remote for the Squeezebox.

Softsqueeze currently works with SqueezeCenter 7.0? I thought support for it was dropped and a Jive based app (called squeezeslave) was to replace it.

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-07, 13:48
Softsqueeze currently works with SqueezeCenter 7.0? I thought support for it was dropped and a Jive based app (called squeezeslave) was to replace it.

squeezeslave has been around for a long time. It's a command-line only player.

SoftSqueeze works fine with SC7.

The new player will be called SqueezePlay.

SuperQ
2008-03-07, 13:49

No, SoftSqueeze still works, just like the SB1,2,3 and Slimp3 still work :)

I'm not sure that the Soft-Jive is done yet.

maggior
2008-03-07, 13:52
squeezeslave has been around for a long time. It's a command-line only player.

SoftSqueeze works fine with SC7.

The new player will be called SqueezePlay.

Oh, OK. I thought the name squeezeslave seemed odd.

Good to know that SQ still works. Yes, I realize that SB2, SB3, etc. continue to work, but that is with FW updates. SQ doesn't use the FW...or does it?

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-07, 14:03
Oh, OK. I thought the name squeezeslave seemed odd.

I believe squeezeslave was kind of an experiment by Richard Titmuss (the writer of SoftSqueeze), to see if a SlimProto player could be made in C++ rather than Java. Right after he made it he got hired by Logitech but development has been taken over by others.

SoftSqueeze doesn't use or need firmware. If you're using it in SC7, make sure to select it through Extras - SoftSqueeze in order to get SoftSqueeze 3.6.

BTW is it too early to start a new naming convention, SS = SoftSqueeze, not SlimServer, which is now discontinued? I thought of typing in "SS" for SoftSqueeze. :-)

bpa
2008-03-07, 14:26
If your music has DRM then it will not play using SqueezeCenter.

Try it out first before buying a SBC.

Svanur
2008-03-07, 16:28
Ahum..., I installed a password on the advanced page from squeezecenter. Is there a way to reset it or so?

Update:
Hmmm, I re-installed the software, but it still asks for the password and username

Svanur
2008-03-09, 06:50
Svanur,

1) Install Squeezecenter on the PC MCE or W2K03 and scan music
2) Install Softsqueeze on the PC MCE and point it at Squeezecenter
3) Use the Squeezebox Controller to Control Softsqueeze via your wireless network

You can download and install 1 & 2 to see if you like the setup and check that the output is ok, before buying the controller.

Hi, one more question. If you buy the Duet, then the receiver is wired to the network (cable). Is the builtin WiFi then only to communicate with the controller? Or is the WiFi only for if you don't have a network cable in range to connect the receiver to the network (and also the controller)? What's the thought behind these options on the receiver?

Thanks again for responding!

Svanur.

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-10, 11:43
Hi, one more question. If you buy the Duet, then the receiver is wired to the network (cable). Is the builtin WiFi then only to communicate with the controller? Or is the WiFi only for if you don't have a network cable in range to connect the receiver to the network (and also the controller)? What's the thought behind these options on the receiver?

Normally these devices are run wireless, but if you can run wired it's better. So the wireless is really for LAN access to SC.

However if you run wired, the receiver can act as a stripped-down AP which the SBC can talk to, so you don't need a wireless network, the SBC can talk to the receiver and from there to SC.