PDA

View Full Version : testers wanted for squeezeplay firefox plugin

danaronson
2008-03-03, 22:08
After wanted it for quite a while, I finally dove into the world of firefox plugins to come up with one that allows you to send music links to play on your squeezebox. The first time you try to play a link you will be prompted to enter the url of your squeezecenter (something like http://localhost:9000) and then given a option to pick which squeezebox the link should play to. There is also a new menu option under the Tools menu to reset the squeezecenter/squeezebox destination.

Attached is the squeezeplay extension. Unfortunately, the extension of the file needs to be .xpi, but I couldn't upload a file with that extension, so I renamed it. Save it as squeezeplay.xpi. To load the extension into firefox, do an "Open File" to squeezeplay.xpi.

XPI files are just renamed zip files, so you can also unzip this to look at it's contents. Enjoy and please let me know of any comments/problems.

Updated to version 0.3 (17 march)

mkgolden1
2008-03-15, 11:36
so, how does this work? Installed, but no clicky.....

danaronson
2008-03-17, 13:35
I put a more complete description up at: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=275628&postcount=1

--dan

sellars
2008-03-17, 20:03
Hi,
I was able to play the live streams from this site:

http://www.afk.de/index.php?afk_id=4
(mp3/ogg links under "Webradio" on the right side

I was not able to use the station links on shoutcast.com
The plugin would not recognize the "tune in" links as a valid stream link, probably because they are "pls" links.

I ran into the following issue: After selecting one of the streams on above website, the stream would play fine. However, when I switched to play a song from my music library, that song would play for about 20 seconds, and then the stream would start playing again, wiping out the current playlist. I had to disable the plugin or shut down Firefox for things to settle down again.

My setup:
Firefox 2.0.0.12 under XP SP2
SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0.1 - 17793 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

danaronson
2008-03-17, 20:34
I just uploaded version 0.3 (in initial post on thread) this fixes the problem that you have with shoutcast (URL's of buttons now work).

I've also seen the problem of stream restarting, I highly doubt that this is a plugin problem, but could you enable debug logging for "player.streaming" and send me any log entries that you see that happen when this happens.

--dan

sellars
2008-03-17, 20:47
Hi,
thanks, I checked out 0.3 and the shoutcast links worked. I attached a log as requested. I have to correct myself: it does not wipe the playlist, but it does overwrite the current playlist with the stream url entry that was played before.

danaronson
2008-03-18, 10:15
Not sure if this is the problem, but the log shows a bug that was fixed in version 17807. Could you try a nightly since then? Also, the current behavior of the plugin is to replace the playlist with the sent stream. I'm happy considering different behavior (or settable options). What would you suggest.

--dan

sellars
2008-03-18, 15:23
Hi Dan,
I am running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0.1 - 17897 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252 from last night now, but I am still getting the same behavior: Play a live stream using your plugin, select songs to be played from the library on the server and after 30 seconds or so the previous live stream starts playing again. It almost seems to me that for some reason the plugin keeps on telling the server to play the live stream over and over?

(...) Also, the current behavior of the plugin is to replace the playlist with the sent stream. I'm happy considering different behavior (or settable options). What would you suggest.

--dan

The behavior is fine, I just wanted to mention the fact that the plugin kills the existing playlist and replaces it with the stream. This is acceptable and fine for me like this...

danaronson
2008-03-19, 11:56
could you set the debugging flags:
network.jsonrpc, player.streaming, player.streaming.remote, player.streaming.direct

all to "debug"

The jsonrpc stuff will let us know if in fact the plugin is rerequesting the stream. My guess on what is going on is that the player is loosing network connectivity with the stream and restarts when it is reconnecting. We'll figure it out.

sellars
2008-03-19, 14:12
Ok, I cannot reproduce it again anymore.
What changed? I rebooted the SC host machine. This is definitely odd, but it seems to have fixed the problem.
So for now, I'd say the plugin works as promised!

danaronson
2008-03-19, 15:57
I'm pretty sure this is bug 6615 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6615). Go ahead and vote for it.

sellars
2008-03-19, 16:32
I'm pretty sure this is bug 6615 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6615). Go ahead and vote for it.

Thanks Dan, I have voted for it and corrected the link to the bug. I do not remember if I had repeat turned on yesterday, or not. I did not have it turned on today....

I have a suggestion for improvement: right now, the word "Squeezeplay" is just sitting down in the bottom right corner of the browser window, doing nothing. It would be great if the configuration dialog would pop up if you clicked on it
Also, it could have a right-click menu that shows this as an option.

If you click on a stream link, you could show a popup with these options: "add to playlist", "add to favorites", "configure".

Cheers!