PDA

View Full Version : SqueezBox and WinAmp or equivalent player

clueless969
2008-03-02, 10:44
Hi everyone.

I know there is going to be a very simple answer to this question but I am damned if I can find it!

OK, here we go...

SB3 is connected wirelessly to PC
PC is running SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17707 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

WinAmp version 5.52 is running on the same PC as Slim Server and so I tell WinAmp to play from a URL namely http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 and it comes up with the scrolling message Welcome to SqueezeCenter and the play time starts and continues, until I get bored watching it but I get absolutely no sound at all.

The question with the simple answer, which I can't discover, is what do I need to do to get SlimServer to actually play music through WinAmp so that I can hear it?

Thanks for anything that will make this work for me so that the music playing elsewhere in the house via the SB will also play simultaneously through the PC.

Zaragon
2008-03-02, 11:11
I'd guess that the music you are trying to stream is not stored in MP3 format. From memory you need something like Lame installed in order to transcode from the stored format into the MP3 for streaming.

However, I don't think that you can synchronise a slim device with an mp3 streaming device. So although you can play the same thing at the same time it is unlikely to be synchronous.

If you have the PC on the same network though you could use Softsqueeze on the PC rather than Winamp then it works just like any other slim device and can be synchronised and no extra transcoding is required.

Oops just read this is on the server so Softsqueeze should work perfectly. You can even remote control it using plugins, the web interface or the SBC when they are available, assuming you buy one that is :).

Squonk
2008-03-04, 05:33
Hi everyone.
I tell WinAmp to play from a URL namely http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3 and it comes up with the scrolling message Welcome to SqueezeCenter and the play time starts and continues, until I get bored watching it but I get absolutely no sound at all.

When Winamp is connected, you need to select it as a player from the dropdown on the top right of your SqueezeCenter web interface (it should appear as something like "Winamp from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" where the Xs are your PC's IP address) and then select the music you want to play. In other words, Winamp just listens to the stream; you have to use the SC web interface to control what is playing. I think you could also synchronize your actual SqueezeBox and the Winamp player to ensure that what plays on your PC is the same as what plays on your SqueezeBox, even if it is not in perfect sync (though I may be wrong on this point). Seems more confusing than it actually is when I try to explain it early in the morning, but hope this helps.

Bill

radish
2008-03-04, 06:35
As Squonk says, SC treats all players as independent so you need to tell it what to play for the winamp client, it won't just mirror one of the other players automatically.

FransG
2008-07-02, 13:32
As Squonk says, SC treats all players as independent so you need to tell it what to play for the winamp client, it won't just mirror one of the other players automatically.

I've been wondering why I got this 'stream of silence' after all installations seemed to have succeeded... until I found this thread ;-)

Thanks