PDA

View Full Version : Transporter knob seems bust.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-01, 08:22
Very scrapey/squeaky sound when I turn it and very hard to turn , like something is binding , it's brand new.
Problem is local agent is 1600 km from me and sending it back is a costly mission. Anything I can do myself to fix this? I don't normally use the knob , but rather the remote , but
I still would like it to work 100%.

PSSO
2008-03-01, 08:41
Are you running the current beta FW ?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43793

seanadams
2008-03-01, 09:55
Did you buy the unit new or used? If the knob has been removed or tampered with then it may not function properly. If the nut that holds it in place is not at the correct torque then it could bind as you're describing.

If the Transporter is powered off, does the knob turn freely?

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-01, 11:40
Bought it brand new. Knob turns freely when off, turnd freely when it's booting, gets harder to turn when scrolling songs etc . when it gets to no 1 or the last no of a menu option it gets almost impossible to turn.

SuperQ
2008-03-01, 11:56
Bought it brand new. Knob turns freely when off, turnd freely when it's booting, gets harder to turn when scrolling songs etc . when it gets to no 1 or the last no of a menu option it gets almost impossible to turn.

That's how it is supposed to work. :-) The knob is "smart". It has a magnetic system to provide feedback while you use it.

SuperQ
2008-03-01, 11:58
Try using the volume mode, you will see how the "clickyness" changes to more smooth, but will bump when you hit full or no volume. (the "clickyness" is call detents, or ratcheting)

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-01, 13:47
There seems a hang of a lot of resistance to turning even within the permitted range , not at all smooth, doesnt seem normal to me??
At one point there is a definate slight "squeak" from the knob

SuperQ
2008-03-01, 23:18
There seems a hang of a lot of resistance to turning even within the permitted range , not at all smooth, doesnt seem normal to me??
At one point there is a definate slight "squeak" from the knob

That can happen when it reaches end of range, and you force it past the end of range.

It's not supposed to be smooth, it clicks a bit for each menu item.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-02, 08:29
Any knob , detented or not , that takes the amount of effort to turn that mine does is either an ergonomic disaster or broken , it requires excessive force to turn , so much that my fingers are slipping on the knob.
I can not believe this is at all normal , not one pice of equipment with knobs I own make it that difficult to select or turn em. I'm also pretty sure the knob should
NOT be squeaking as tho it's seized up when you turn it.
SuperQ , quit the patronization and please don't assume I'm an idiot with your responses , this cannot be at all normal and I'm asking for a solution , not to be told that its all in my mind.
If there's something I can do , well thats great , if I got to send it back after 2 weeks at my expense to logitech 1600 km away from me and wait either for a replacement or a fix , then
I'm not going to be a happy camper!!

Ben Sandee
2008-03-02, 09:39
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Rodney_Gold <
Rodney_Gold.35nis01204471802 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

> SuperQ , quit the patronization and please don't assume I'm an idiot
> with your responses , this cannot be at all normal and I'm asking for a
> solution , not to be told that its all in my mind.

Rodney,

I re-read the thread and fail to see how anything SuperQ said was
patronizing. You need to reevaluate what you expect from people who are not
paid, nor obligated, to spend time helping you with your problem. If you
feel the need to abuse people, I suggest calling Logitech support -- at
least they are paid to 'take it'.

Ben

amcluesent
2008-03-02, 09:44
Hmm, diagnostics of haptic devices over the web isn't easy. But requiring that degree of force doesn't sound at all like the how my TP works.

SuperQ
2008-03-02, 09:46
Any knob , detented or not , that takes the amount of effort to turn that mine does is either an ergonomic disaster or broken

Then I would call Logitech support, they are friendly and helpful. You could have a damaged knob motor, or a manufacturing defect. They may even be willing to cross-ship a replacement.

Or if you're just angry, there is a 30 day full refund trial period.

dean
2008-03-02, 17:14
Rodney: Please get in touch with the tech support team, they can walk you through diagnosing the issue with the knob.

There should be some resistance in the knob due to the force-feedback function, but it shouldn't be that hard to turn.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-03, 00:19
Whats patronising is someone telling me I don't have a problem when I DO!!!! Do you think I'm that naive or such an idiot that I don't know when a knob is working or not. I also contribute to many forums (lasers, engraving , high end audio, v8 cars , signage)and also give of my unpaid time where I can and expect no reward , however what I post is constructive. Im not just a leech!

I repeat , I was hoping for a DIY solution , I'm in South Africa , 10 000km away from America and I'm in Cape Town , 1600km away from the agents in Johannesburg. The local agents had to purposely import a unit for me as they dont carry stock. So to get a replacement or fix is a mission , hence my asking here for some advice.

But if the only solution offered is to phone tech support , so be it , thats what I will do.

peter
2008-03-03, 02:35
Rodney_Gold wrote:
> Whats patronising is someone telling me I don't have a problem when I
> DO!!!! Do you think I'm that naive or such an idiot that I don't know
> when a knob is working or not. I also contribute to many forums
> (lasers, engraving , high end audio, v8 cars , signage)and also give of
> my unpaid time where I can and expect no reward , however what I post is
> constructive. Im not just a leech!
>

I see nothing patronising in SuperQ's attemts to help you. I think an
apology is in order.

Regards,
Peter

Fifer
2008-03-03, 06:16
I'm afraid I agree. I've just read the OP and my first thought was to check all the things that I then found SuperQ had already suggested (quite diplomaticly IMO) in order to determine whether the problem was real or not.

I can understand the frustration at finding an expensive piece of equipment to possibly be broken, but this community is a collection of (in the main) friendly, knowledgable and well intentioned volunteers and thus civil behaviour is central to keeping people coming back.

I'd suggest calling Logitech support too.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-03, 07:59
SuperQ is persisting in telling me what I am experiencing is normal , despite my original post and subsequent posts explaining that it is NOT normal. The only one to have given me any direction or help is SEAN.

This was my original post

Very scrapey/squeaky sound when I turn it and very hard to turn , like something is binding , it's brand new.

Now does that sound "normal" or the way it's supposed to work or how does anyone extrapolate that what Im documenting might be me mistaking the normal operation as broken when its not?

As to the unit itself, the remote works just fine and the only reason I tried the knob is that I took it to my upstairs system and have the unit right next to me , my SB is downstairs. If I have to send it back to get fixed, then I will just pass on that and live with the issue.

bhaagensen
2008-03-03, 08:27

Now does that sound "normal" or the way it's supposed to work or how does anyone extrapolate that what Im documenting might be me mistaking the normal operation as broken when its not?

I think you have to realise that "scrapey/squeaky" and "hard to turn" are somewhat subjective terms. I think SuperQ was also trying to understand exactly what symptoms you are experiencing in order to perhaps give better advice.

You said you are used to using internet-forums. Then you'd also know that helping someone with a problem often means asking lots of obvious and trivial questions. It doesn't mean that the askee is implying that the asker is not up to par.

Finally these forums (-audiophiles) are ususally very civilized, and so one can assume that if anyone takes the time to answer your question, they are doing it to help, not pester.

Regards Bjørn

Fifer
2008-03-03, 09:21
SuperQ is persisting in telling me what I am experiencing is normal.

That's not how I read it. He was checking because some of your descriptions could have described the normal action of the knob. On the internet, you don't know if you are dealing with a complete novice or an experienced individual so checking the basics is usually wise.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-05, 08:33
Well, surprise surprise, the knob seems defective. I called tech support (which wasnt free , toll free doesnt work outside the usa) and they basically told me to upgrade to 7.0 , which I did and no joy. So the solution I got was to send the unit either to JHB (cost me $140 either way) or to America (I might as well buy a new one for what that will cost)
So back to my original question , can SEAN or anyone else with experience of the build/construction of the unit tell me what I can try myself , like how to perhaps remove the knob and reseat it on its shaft or whatever system it uses , it seems something is binding or the knob is contacting some other part like the facia or backing section or something like that. Tech can't seem to help me in that regard

Zaragon
2008-03-05, 09:17
I don't think that you will get Sean or any other Slim employee telling you how you might do that as it would then make Slim liable for any thing that happens as a result.

I guess I should also point out the obvious that if you were to try any adjustments yourself you would probably invalidate the warranty which could be a useful thing if anything else goes wrong in the future. (This is not suggesting it will by the way.)

seanadams
2008-03-05, 10:08
So back to my original question , can SEAN or anyone else with experience of the build/construction of the unit tell me what I can try myself , like how to perhaps remove the knob and reseat it on its shaft or whatever system it uses , it seems something is binding or the knob is contacting some other part like the facia or backing section or something like that.

It should be pretty self-explanatory. The aluminum knob itself is held to the shaft by friction. Just pull it off the front and you will see that the mechanism is held in place by a nut. First try turning just the steel shaft of the mechanism without the knob attached.

If you take the top off of the transporter then you can undo the nut and remove the mechanism.

If you can determine that the knob mechanism itself is binding internally, then you may want to see if you can negotiate a replacement of just that component from our Mountain View support team.

However, there is one important note of caution here: the knob is held in place by a steel nut which threads onto the plastic housing of the knob mechanism. Excessive torque will strip the threads, but the other reason it needs to be carefully torqued is that there is a point well before stripping the threads where the optimal amount of torque is reached, where the knob turns freely while still being firmly attached. I've personally never needed to use a torque wrench to install them, but that is what is used in the factory. Just use the minimum toque needed to keep the mechanism firmly in place.

Rodney_Gold
2008-03-05, 14:11
Thank you very much for those instructions.I know exactly what you mean in your last paragraph. That was exactly the info I was looking for.
Its night time here , so will give it a whirl tommorrow when there is far more light and report back.

SuperQ
2008-03-05, 20:49

I'm sorry, I was not trying to patronize you. I was simply trying to be very sure that we were talking about the same thing.
My Transporter does make a very faint squeeky/scraping noise that is made by the knob magnetics. I'm fairly sure mine is ok because it is exactly the same sound as the demo units I played with at the SlimDevices HQ.

I feel your pain, having an expensive new toy come broken is a terrible thing. I'm glad you got in touch with SlimDevices, hopefully they can ship you replacement parts instead of having to ship the whole unit.

SlimDevices is good about allowing end users to open up and check out the internals without the normal "void your warrenty for even thinking about using a screwdriver" mentality you get from a lot of companies these days.

EnochLight
2008-03-05, 22:34
I'm sorry, I was not trying to patronize you. I was simply trying to be very sure that we were talking about the same thing.
My Transporter does make a very faint squeeky/scraping noise that is made by the knob magnetics. I'm fairly sure mine is ok because it is exactly the same sound as the demo units I played with at the SlimDevices HQ.

I feel your pain, having an expensive new toy come broken is a terrible thing. I'm glad you got in touch with SlimDevices, hopefully they can ship you replacement parts instead of having to ship the whole unit.

SlimDevices is good about allowing end users to open up and check out the internals without the normal "void your warrenty for even thinking about using a screwdriver" mentality you get from a lot of companies these days.

Wow - a much more eloquent post than I would have come up with for that guy. You're a true gentleman, SuperQ! I still think he owes you an apology.