PDA

View Full Version : "No album" problem...

MillmoorRon
2008-03-01, 04:03
I've got hundereds of tracks that do not have an album tag (live songs, downloaded freebies, singles etc.) as they don't actually come from any album.

When browsing by artist these all show up as "No album by a, b, c, d, etc." which is now quite a long list!

Is there a way round this?

A server setting to treat "no album" as a special case and not just another album called "no album" would be good!

SilverRS8
2008-03-01, 05:06
I had the same problem. I have a lot of tracks not related to any album. To 'resolve' the issue I use 'Single - <ARTISTNAME>' as album tag. It really works quiet well also when browsing using the SB3.

If there is a solution for 'No album' tags that ofcourse would be much better. I've ordered the Duet so it comes to mind that when browsing through albums starting with 'S' I will have a lot of them because of my naming convention but the same problem exist for leaving the album tag empty. You'll het a lot albums under 'N' (No Album).

Frank

egd
2008-03-01, 14:44
I've got an ever growing album called "VA - Singles Gathered" to which such tracks are assigned. Makes for an interesting "random play".

studley
2008-03-01, 15:19
Be the squeeky wheel. http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7290

Another thread (It's hard to search threads with 'No Album'): http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42483

For now I have taken to Assigning them an album name, "Singles Collection" and making them a compilation. Not perfect, but helps.

Other album names could be: "SqueezeSingles", "No Album Album", or "Bug 7290 Anthology (The Early Years)"

Cheers, David

MillmoorRon
2008-03-03, 06:16
I had the same problem. I have a lot of tracks not related to any album. To 'resolve' the issue I use 'Single - <ARTISTNAME>' as album tag. It really works quiet well also when browsing using the SB3.

If there is a solution for 'No album' tags that ofcourse would be much better. I've ordered the Duet so it comes to mind that when browsing through albums starting with 'S' I will have a lot of them because of my naming convention but the same problem exist for leaving the album tag empty. You'll het a lot albums under 'N' (No Album).

Frank

This seems like a good solution in the absence of a server solution.

Do you know how I can automate retagging to the above format?

I use MP3Tag for normal tagging but can't think how to do it using that!

studley
2008-03-03, 06:28
This seems like a good solution in the absence of a server solution.

Do you know how I can automate retagging to the above format?

I use MP3Tag for normal tagging but can't think how to do it using that!
MP3Tag is a good tool for the job.

Create an action to "Format Value"
Field: Album
Format String: Single - %artist%

Load all of your singles and apply. If they are spread throughout your other albums you can load them all and sort by album. This will place all the "blank" albums at the top.

Hope this helps, David

MillmoorRon
2008-03-03, 10:47
I knew there would be a way!

Cheers.

MillmoorRon
2008-03-04, 12:19
Unexpected results following the rescan though!

Even though tracks are tagged with same 'album' tag they still show up as seperate albums in Slimserver. It seems it splits them up if they are in different sub-folders - which most of them are.

I was hoping for just one folder of non-album tracks per artist!

slimkid
2008-03-04, 12:37
Unexpected results following the rescan though!

Even though tracks are tagged with same 'album' tag they still show up as seperate albums in Slimserver. It seems it splits them up if they are in different sub-folders - which most of them are.

I was hoping for just one folder of non-album tracks per artist!

There's a setting not to split multiple discs albums in SC (behaviour). I believe you'll need to assign different DISCNUMBER (or something similar, see through mp3tag) tag to tracks in different directories

MillmoorRon
2008-03-04, 14:44
I'll try that.

Should I give them all the same discnumber or a different one for each folder?

slimkid
2008-03-04, 15:14
I'll try that.

Should I give them all the same discnumber or a different one for each folder?

Different. This feature is usualy used for multi CD albums (like the greates hits and similar), but I don't see why it wouldn't work otherwise.

And, BTW, the place to look for the parameter in SC is 'Library Settings'

K