PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a ps from Newark/Digikey

bb6
2008-02-27, 11:53
I'm intersted in getting another ps for my SB3 mainly so I don't have to move the cables when I take the SB from room to room.

I have access to digikey and newark so, and have found a few choices :

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=SQ1XDKMMYKRU0CXDUZ1G13Q?N=10 00294+127740+179699+179756+179759+179760+179765+17 9766+179801+182024+179803+179823&_requestid=178326

Out of these which one would be the best choice if I decide to mod my sb in the future. Why is one over $300? Is it better, or just designed for more rugged industry use?

Thanks in advance.

tyler_durden
2008-02-27, 18:36
The lambda supply is probably a lab instrument with meters, etc. The others are just open frame supplies designed to be installed inside other equipment.

Do you know that you can buy surplus power supplies for about $10?
Check these listings for several supplies that will do the job for much lower cost:
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HAR&Category_Code=PWS

TD

bb6
2008-02-28, 05:59
^^ Thanks. My work is set-up with Newark and Digikey so I am going to order from them. So, you suggest simply going with the cheapest one?

zanash
2008-02-29, 01:18
your limited here ....persaonally I'd not go with any of these

one of the important factors is the transformer size and these seem small but there are no details you need at least 75va imo

tyler_durden
2008-02-29, 08:04
^^ Thanks. My work is set-up with Newark and Digikey so I am going to order from them. So, you suggest simply going with the cheapest one?

Yes. Go cheap. Any 5V 1A+ regulated supply will do the job. These are all regulated supplies, so you don't need to worry about transformer VA ratings. If the supply were unregulated the transformer might be a consideration but I would not use an unregulated supply- that puts your relatively expensive SB at risk, and at this low power, a regulated supply won't cost any more than an unregulated one. I would also NOT use a supply rated for much higher current than 1A.

TD

iPhone
2008-02-29, 10:48
Yes. Go cheap. Any 5V 1A+ regulated supply will do the job. These are all regulated supplies, so you don't need to worry about transformer VA ratings. If the supply were unregulated the transformer might be a consideration but I would not use an unregulated supply- that puts your relatively expensive SB at risk, and at this low power, a regulated supply won't cost any more than an unregulated one. I would also NOT use a supply rated for much higher current than 1A.

TD

I would have to disagree. One amp is the NOT the maximum and should much less even be thought of as the minimum. Slim Devices spec even calls for no less then one amp. In my opinion 1.5 Amp 5VDC regulated supply should be the smallest (only if larger is not available) after market or DIY supply used, two amps preferred. The SB3 is going to draw what it draws. If it has a 3A 5VDC regulated supply it will always have enough current, this does not mean it is always drawing 3 amps nor will this damage the SB3 in anyway.

My SB3 in the kitchen is the only one on its factory wall wart supply, which BTW is a 2A 5VDC regulated PS. My other SB3s have 3A 5VDC regulated PS except the one in the living room, which has a super filtered non-switching DIY 5A 5VDC regulated supply (yes its over-kill but I had it left over from another project and only had to change out the plug for the SB3). I decided on 3A PS because after having an SB3 on an HP bench PS for over a week the recorded high current draw was 1.57 Amps. Seeing how the spec on the factory SB3 wall wart switching supply calls for 2 Amps at 5VDC output, recommending a one amp PS seems inappropriate.

As an example of what others that think highly of the SB3, there is the VDC-SB power supply from Channel Islands Audio that uses a transformer rated at 4 Amps continues output to deliver a final output to the SB3 of a regulated 5VDC at 2.2 Amps.