PDA

View Full Version : Power outages and Squeezebox

MeSue
2008-02-27, 08:49
My Squeezebox 2 is plugged into a surge protected outlet. A lot of times when there is a power outage or flicker, the Squeezebox has trouble reconnecting the next time it is used. Also sometimes it will emit a repetitive static noise from the PC speakers connected to it. Generally when this happens I remember there was an outage, unplug and replug, and then it reconnects and works fine.

Yesterday we had a lot of power flickering off and on throughout the day, but by the time I went to use the Squeezebox, I had forgotten and the Squeezebox worked fine. Until about 10 minutes into the music, that is! At that point the Squeezebox made an ear-drum piercing loud screech, and I about had heart failure. By the time I gathered my wits about me and looked at the screen, it showed a gob of lit pixels repeatedly scrolling from right to left. Never seen anything like that before. I can't even remember if I hit any buttons on the remote, but a short time later it started playing the next song and continued to work fine from then on. I don't think it had anything to do with the song that was playing because that is a song I have played many times before through the SB.

So I was just wondering if anyone else had weird issues with the Squeezebox after a power incident, and whether you do or don't have it on a surge protector?

MeSue
2008-03-06, 13:33
I guess it's just me.

Rick B.
2008-03-07, 04:57
I'd recommend you add a UPS - we get 1-second power outages weekly and the UPS has greatly improved on things. You'd only need a very cheap one for your SB.

MeSue
2008-03-07, 08:51
Yeah, I have 5 UPS's throughout my house. I just can't bring myself to put one in the bedroom just for the squeezebox.

I do wonder if the surge protector I have in there is faulty. I should probably change it out.

iPhone
2008-03-07, 09:28
Yeah, I have 5 UPS's throughout my house. I just can't bring myself to put one in the bedroom just for the squeezebox.

I do wonder if the surge protector I have in there is faulty. I should probably change it out.

The price of small UPSs is so cheap now you should get one instead of buying another cheap surge protector.

What has probably happened is that the cheapo surge protector uses MOVs to shunt the surges. MOVs breakdown a little each time they are called to protect equipment and go bad after X number of hits. With all the power issues it appears that your home gets, you are much better off with a small UPS. The UPS will have better surge protection and the reboots will go away because the SB2 will stay powered through hits and outages.

Additionally the UPS is a small price to pay to protect your Heart, Hearing, Speakers, and SB2!

improvisato
2008-03-07, 09:35
I've been considering purchasing a small UPS for my Duet as well. I'm subject to fairly frequent power flicker like MeSue.

I've used APC products in the past for computer hardware and found them to be very reliable.

Are there audio component-specific UPSs out there? I'd be interested in other forum-goers' experiences.

MrSinatra
2008-03-07, 09:42
when i got my home rewired my electrician said he had surge protectors and UPS solutions that u can install right at the box, therefore covering your whole house.

i didn't do it, but i might eventually.

improvisato
2008-03-07, 09:44
when i got my home rewired my electrician said he had surge protectors and UPS solutions that u can install right at the box, therefore covering your whole house.

i didn't do it, but i might eventually.

Must be a pretty massive battery!

MrSinatra
2008-03-07, 09:47
i didn't ask him about that, but i did wonder. i suppose its possible he would have just wired in certain circuits.

Phil Leigh
2008-03-07, 15:42
Are there audio component-specific UPSs out there?
No - a UPS is a UPS.

improvisato
2008-03-08, 07:37
That's what I thought. Thanks Phil.

Bizarroterl
2008-03-08, 10:24
One thing to keep in mind is that a surge protector protects from surges. The majority of power line incidents are transitory brownouts where the voltage drops off. Too low and the power supply doesn't output the proper voltage and the Squeezebox's circuits start to act erratically. That's very likely what you experienced.

The only way to correct this is with a UPS as others have recommended.