PDA

View Full Version : receivers with Burr-Brown DACs?

bobkoure
2008-02-26, 14:23
As background, I use SPDF to connect my PC to a small Pioneer receiver, which, in turn, outputs to speakers and a sub.
I've recently upgraded the front speakers, and, "just for grins" hauled the Yamaha receiver I've got in the living room (a RX-V1000, which probably dates me...).
It sounds better.
I'm guessing it's the burr-brown DAC in the Yamaha (one of the reasons I bought that particular receiver 'way back when).
So I thought I'd just trundle off to ebay, and look for receivers that have this DAC. Turns out not to be so easy figuring out which receivers have this and which do not.
Has anyone run across a list in their web-travels? Or if you've got a receiver at home that you know to have a burr-brown in it, could you just mention that model.
Thanks!

BTW, I think I have SqueezeCenter to thank for this quest. I sometimes use synchronize to play the same music in the living room (magnepans) and in my office (JBL near-field monitors at my PC) - and it's pretty hard not to notice how much better the maggies sound as I head to the kitchen for a snack...
I do also realize that I'm not in the same league with the martin-logan guys, but I figure I can still make my ears happier...

mvalera
2008-02-26, 15:11
You know the SB3 has a Burr-Brown DAC right?

If your receiver has a "Pure" or "Direct" bypass mode I would use the SB3's analogue out.

Mike

Jim Holtz
2008-02-26, 15:14
As background, I use SPDF to connect my PC to a small Pioneer receiver, which, in turn, outputs to speakers and a sub.
I've recently upgraded the front speakers, and, "just for grins" hauled the Yamaha receiver I've got in the living room (a RX-V1000, which probably dates me...).
It sounds better.
I'm guessing it's the burr-brown DAC in the Yamaha (one of the reasons I bought that particular receiver 'way back when).
So I thought I'd just trundle off to ebay, and look for receivers that have this DAC. Turns out not to be so easy figuring out which receivers have this and which do not.
Has anyone run across a list in their web-travels? Or if you've got a receiver at home that you know to have a burr-brown in it, could you just mention that model.
Thanks!

BTW, I think I have SqueezeCenter to thank for this quest. I sometimes use synchronize to play the same music in the living room (magnepans) and in my office (JBL near-field monitors at my PC) - and it's pretty hard not to notice how much better the maggies sound as I head to the kitchen for a snack...
I do also realize that I'm not in the same league with the martin-logan guys, but I figure I can still make my ears happier...

FWIW, just because something uses Burr Brown DAC's doesn't mean it will sound good. BB makes many "economy" DAC's. That said, implementation is everything when it comes to sound quality. In my opinion, the flagship DAC's from BB are the PCM63 (old), PCM1704 (best) and the PCM1796 (very good) which are the most current. I really like the sound of well designed DAC with 1704's in it. Cary uses the 1704's in their 300/302 CD player ($3,000) and it is superb. It should be for the price.

My suggestion is to listen to something before you go on a search to buy it.

HTH

Jim

Phil Leigh
2008-02-26, 15:19
Yeah that's right - the actual DAC chip is a relatively small part of the whole circuit...clocking, analogue stage and PSU are all at least as important.
You need to listen and see what you prefer rather than buying something because it has a particular (obsolete or outperformed tomorrow) chip in it.

JJZolx
2008-02-26, 16:39
Above all else, trust your ears. Use whichever sounds better to you.

bobkoure
2008-02-26, 18:05
You know the SB3 has a Burr-Brown DAC right?
Yes - but this is for PC sound.

Jim + Phil -
Thanks for pointing out that there isn't just one Burr-Brown DAC, and the rest of the circuit's important, too.
I think maybe I'll just keep my eye out for another RX-V1000, even though it's 'way overkill for PC sound - because I know I like the way that model sounds...

mvalera
2008-02-26, 18:30
Yes - but this is for PC sound.

Ahh missed that.

Maybe it's time to get a Squeezebox. :P

bobkoure
2008-02-27, 06:58
I've got one, and will buy (eventually) a couple more - but this for sound from my PC.
I occasionally watch a movie on this PC, so I like having Dolby and DTS decoders.
I spend more time listening here (all-be-it not critically) here than to my "real" audio gear (which, indeed, has a Squeezebox).
I have been thinking about getting a Squeezebox (or possibly the display-less portion of the Duet) as a replacement for Softsqueeze, but then I'd be buying a different receiver anyway as AFAICT this one doesn't have direct path.
Does this make any sense?

mvalera
2008-02-27, 11:39
Yes totally.

I was just making a joke, hence the smiley. -> :P

toby10
2008-02-27, 13:26
It sounds better.
Thanks!

Almost all recent and current Yamaha's use Burr-Brown, including it's flagship RX-Z11 (MSRP 5k). Which version of BB's are used in the various models I have no clue.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/avreceivers/rxv_rxz.html?CTID=5000300

I have the RX-V2700 and use it's BB's via optical from the SB3 and it sounds incredible. Although, I don't have a true "audiophile" system either. :)

bobkoure
2008-02-27, 13:28
Oh, sorry. FWIW I read :P as "tongue sticking out" and figured you were razzing me for not just buying a Squeezebox. Not an unreasonable thing to do to me if I'm going through all sorts of gyrations to not buy a SB (or three) - and I can see how it might appear that that was what I was doing...