PDA

View Full Version : List albums by ... option has no effect?

shawkie
2008-02-24, 06:07
I'm confused by the behaviour of this option in SlimServer 6.5.4 and SqueezeCenter 7. All my tracks (FLAC) are tagged with both ALBUMARTIST and ARTIST tags. The scanner is assigning contributor roles 5 and 6 respectively.

If I have the option set to "List albums by band" I would expect the list of artists to include all contributors in roles 1 or 5. This seems to be what happens.

If I have the option set to "List albums by all artists for that album" I would expect the list of artists to include all contributors in roles 1, 5 or 6. This doesn't happen.

What is the intended function of this option?

shawkie
2008-02-26, 12:02
Anyone? Any ideas?

smc2911
2008-03-15, 16:06
I know in the past I had grouping working properly when I used the "BAND" tag rather than the "ALBUMARTIST" tag and I suspect that in the past the ALBUMARTIST tag wasn't actually used by SlimServer. While SqueezeCenter does read and display ALBUMARTIST, I suspect that it is not being used for album grouping. There are some bug reports that seem related to this:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6490

smc2911
2008-03-15, 17:52
It's also worth checking the COMPILATION flag for all the tracks in the album. They should all be the same and ideally set to 1.

JJZolx
2008-03-15, 18:26
It's also worth checking the COMPILATION flag for all the tracks in the album. They should all be the same and ideally set to 1.

A compilation album with an ALBUMARTIST doesn't really make any sense (although I've tagged at least one album like this just to see what happens). Does the album "belong" to the ALBUMARTIST, or does it "belong" to the VA artist? If you want it to belong to the ALBUMARTIST you'd be just as well off marking it with COMPILATION=0.

IMO, use of the compilation settings have been a little out of whack ever since SlimServer began permitting tracks in an album to have different artist lineups without the album being called a compilation. That change, by itself, was a good thing. I can have an album by one artist and a few guest artists, without it being mistakenly tagged a compilation.

But the problem lies with applying those old "compilation" options. What to do with those "track artists" from non-compilations, especially when they don't have full albums in the library. Right now the compilation options in the settings specifically are applied to compilations, not to non-compilations.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=5108

smc2911
2008-03-15, 19:49
The example I had in mind (recently acquired) is "Must I Paint You a Picture?", which is a Billy Bragg best of album. I've tagged it with Billy Bragg as the Album artist and, while most tracks have Billy Bragg as the artist, there are others such as "Billy Bragg and The Blokes". I have tagged this as a compilation album more because it has these additional track artists than because I'm in the habit of tagging best ofs as compilation (that's a whole other debate...)

smc2911
2008-03-15, 19:52
The example I had in mind (recently acquired) is "Must I Paint You a Picture?", which is a Billy Bragg best of album. I've tagged it with Billy Bragg as the Album artist and, while most tracks have Billy Bragg as the artist, there are others such as "Billy Bragg and The Blokes". I have tagged this as a compilation album more because it has these additional track artists than because I'm in the habit of tagging best ofs as compilation (that's a whole other debate...)
Also, this album has two discs and originally (courtesy of musicbrainz I think) one was tagged as a compilation and the other was not and the two discs were listed seperately despite the fact that I had the setting on to group multi-disc collections together. Setting all the tracks to COMPILATION=1 sorted that out. Although I didn't test this theory, the fact that the first disc only featured Billy Bragg track artists I suspect that without a COMPILATION flag set they wouldn't have been grouped together. Could be wrong there though.

JJZolx
2008-03-15, 20:04
Also, this album has two discs and originally (courtesy of musicbrainz I think) one was tagged as a compilation and the other was not and the two discs were listed seperately despite the fact that I had the setting on to group multi-disc collections together. Setting all the tracks to COMPILATION=1 sorted that out. Although I didn't test this theory, the fact that the first disc only featured Billy Bragg track artists I suspect that without a COMPILATION flag set they wouldn't have been grouped together. Could be wrong there though.

Hard to say. I generally place multidisc sets into a parent folder:

Billy Bragg
..\Best Of\
..\..\Disc 1\
..\..\Disc 2\

Not sure if that helps the server sort it out, but I have no problems.

You're right about the "other debate". I can't see any reason to mark "best ofs" as compilations when most applications interpret "compilation" to mean comprised made of different artists. If you're going to make up your own tagging system then you can't expect applications to play along.

smc2911
2008-03-16, 01:57
My folder structure is exactly as you describe. Personally, I like to have these multi-disc cds appear in SC as a single album with tracks numbered 1-1,1-2,1-3,...,2-1,2-2,.. etc. Normally this works fine for me with the "Tread multi-disc as single album" setting on. For this album, however, it kept appearing as two discs. After some false paths (e.g. trying to work out whether I needed a BAND tag as well as an ALBUMARTIST tag), I realised that disc 2 (which had mutiple artists) had COMPILATION set and disc 1 (which only had Billy Bragg as the artist) did not. It took me a while to notice as this was not my tagging: that would have either come from CDDB or MusicBrainz--I suspect the latter. So I set all the COMPILATION flags and now it appears as one album. At some point I will experiment and see what happens if I turn the flag off. I don't have any other multi-disc sets where one disc contains only a single artist, so it's a bit of an unusual scenario.

smc2911
2008-03-16, 02:01
You're right about the "other debate". I can't see any reason to mark "best ofs" as compilations when most applications interpret "compilation" to mean comprised made of different artists. If you're going to make up your own tagging system then you can't expect applications to play along.On this topic I have no strong views on the use of the COMPILATION tag per se. For me it is simply a tool to get SC7 to display the albums and artists the way I want them to.

JJZolx
2008-03-16, 02:07
My folder structure is exactly as you describe. Personally, I like to have these multi-disc cds appear in SC as a single album with tracks numbered 1-1,1-2,1-3,...,2-1,2-2,.. etc. Normally this works fine for me with the "Tread multi-disc as single album" setting on.

Same here. I like keeping the separate discs in individual foldoers so that when I browse the album in Windows Explorer I don't have to see something like:

01 Dawn - Go Within.flac
01 She's Not There.flac
02 Carnaval.flac
02 Flor D'Luna (Moonflower).flac
03 Let The Children Play.flac
03 Soul Sacrafice - Head, Hands & Feet (Drum Solo).flac
etc.

For this album, however, it kept appearing as two discs. After some false paths (e.g. trying to work out whether I needed a BAND tag as well as an ALBUMARTIST tag), I realised that disc 2 (which had mutiple artists) had COMPILATION set and disc 1 (which only had Billy Bragg as the artist) did not. It took me a while to notice as this was not my tagging: that would have either come from CDDB or MusicBrainz--I suspect the latter. So I set all the COMPILATION flags and now it appears as one album. At some point I will experiment and see what happens if I turn the flag off. I don't have any other multi-disc sets where one disc contains only a single artist, so it's a bit of an unusual scenario.

Yeah, I don't think you could have the COMPILATION field set differently and expect them to be seen as the same album. The ARTIST fields will, of course, also play a big role.