PDA

View Full Version : WMA on SB3 natively?

slutz
2008-02-23, 11:08
Hi!

Everywhere I read that the SB3 supports WMA natively. Why do I also find the information that I need ffmpeg on Linux for SB2/3 and why is my SB3 NOT able to play WMA without ffmpeg?
What does it mean that WMA is supported natively if I still need ffmpeg?

Thanks!
-slutz

Siduhe
2008-02-23, 11:17
From the wiki:

Native or Transcoded?
In the Slimserver/Squeezebox world, this can be an important difference. The various models of Squeezebox can handle different file types internally, so given (for example) an MP3 file can decode it into music within the box. Other file types can't be handled within the Squeezebox and are "transcoded", i.e. decoded in the Slimserver into another format that the Squeezebox does know how to handle (see also: Transcoding). SB2/3 natively handles MP3, WAV, AIFF, FLAC and WMA (except WMA Lossless): earlier models just MP3. See HardwareComparison.

Another significant difference for a Squeezebox is that you can fast-forward or rewind with a format that can be played natively, but not one that is being transcoded.

Are you trying to play WMA Lossless by any chance? You also need a hardware player (but I see you have an SB3) - you're not trying to use Softsqueeze as well are you?

If you are still getting a message about ffmpeg, check your file conversion settings aren't set to transcode WMA into another format.

bpa
2008-02-23, 11:43
You may also need it if some radio stations that you listen to only support mms transport and not http.

I have a recollection that aome radio stations (espcially talk & sports) used a special WMA codec called "Voice codec" and this codec was not supported by SB3 - this may still be the case I'm not sure.

slutz
2008-02-23, 11:46
Should I delete all lines starting with wma in the conf file?
I already added the following to my custom conf file
wma wma * *
-
That did not help. I need to use ffmpeg.

andyg
2008-02-23, 12:07
WMA voice is supported, as long as it's an HTTP station.

You should not need to do anything to play WMA. A player.source debug log may help figure out what's going on.