PDA

View Full Version : Transnav defect ?

PSSO
2008-02-23, 07:47
Sometimes I can hear some click noises from the Transnav on my Transporter even when the Transporter is on standy. If I put my hand on the knob, it is vibriating. Is that normal or is the Transnav defect ?

radish
2008-02-23, 09:28
It does run a degauss cycle occasionally. It should only do this if you've actually used the knob recently. If you're running the current beta firmware then there was a bug (last I heard) which caused it to degauss too often.

PSSO
2008-02-23, 10:20
Thanks. Yes, I'm using FW40 and found the bug description http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6939

michel
2010-04-03, 23:51
Am I the only one who is still experiencing this bug?
Had disturbing noise from the beginning (~ 2yrs)although I NEVER use the knob.
I am sitting very close to the Transporter but use iPeng or a laptop for controlling playback. Is there a way to completely deactivate the knob?
Will the tranporter work properly if I unplugged the knob from the mainboard?
Unfortunately bug 6939 has been closed.
I am running FW80, Squeezebox Server 7.4.1

JJZolx
2010-04-04, 01:17
I never hear it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't doing it. I also never use the knob.

If the cable just plugs into a board (rather than having to cut or unsolder something), then I'm sure it can't hurt to open up the case, unplug it and see if the Transporter still functions.

michel
2010-04-04, 01:49
Unfortunately Tranporter uses 'wrong' screws by european standards. It is quite hard to find matching tools over here.
For a start I did a xilix reset followed by a factory reset.

dennis55
2010-04-05, 10:47
PSSO,"If I put my hand on the knob, it is vibriating"....bet you're popular with the ladies! :)....sorry couln't resist!!

dennis

iPhone
2010-04-05, 12:22
Unfortunately Tranporter uses 'wrong' screws by european standards. It is quite hard to find matching tools over here.

As for the knob, have you called or Emailed Tech Support about it. You could actually have a defective Transporter if it is a constant clicking.

Do a test for me please. Either disconnect the Ethernet connection or turn off your WiFi network and turn your server off. Once the connection to the server and Internet are lost, can you freely turn the knob in either direction as far as you want? No binding or sticking and no end limit in either direction?

Transporters are built in the USA in Mountain View, California. Looks like a simple hex head to me that shouldn't be that hard to find.

michel
2010-04-06, 00:34
@iphone
After disconnecting the knob turns freely in either direction. After reconnect it starts to make noise again.

iPhone
2010-04-06, 11:23
@iphone
After disconnecting the knob turns freely in either direction. After reconnect it starts to make noise again.

Sounds bad to me, but I am troubleshooting over the Net and I am not there to look and see and hear what is going on. I say contact Tech Support to find out if you need to return it if it is still under warranty.

michel
2010-04-06, 12:30
Many thx for help. I will contact support since it is just under one year that I bought the transporter.

iPhone
2010-04-06, 12:40
Many thx for help. I will contact support since it is just under one year that I bought the transporter.

Good news. They may ask you to do a few things or talk you through some instructions. Give them a chance and allow them to follow the flowchart. If the knob didn't move freely when it lost the connection it would have been known bad for sure. But since it does, there are probably some things to try and/or look at real quick before knowing for sure that it needs to go back. It just isn't supposed to be making noise all the time or vibrating on its own.