PDA

View Full Version : Should Internet radio AAC stream work?

.brum
2008-02-23, 05:42
Hi,

For bandwidht vs. quality reasons I'd rather use AAC streams when provided by the Internet radio station, but it doesn't seem to work. So far I've only tried with one (Radio Paradise), so I'm wondering whether it at all should work? My SB3 gives an "cannot connect to server" kind of error message, while at the same location the same URL plays fine witj Foobar2000.

The example URL is http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128aac.m3u.

rgds,

.brum

bpa
2008-02-23, 06:09
It will need transcoding so it will not work through Squeenetwork but through Slimserver/SqueezeCenter.

The format is not supported by Slimdevices as standard so you will need to add new conf entries. I suspect it will work if you put in the changes for AACplus (see the Wiki) and then add "audio/aac" to the custom-types.conf in addition to "audio/aacp".

.brum
2008-02-23, 06:20
It will need transcoding so it will not work through Squeenetwork but through Slimserver/SqueezeCenter.

The format is not supported by Slimdevices as standard so you will need to add new conf entries. I suspect it will work if you put in the changes for AACplus (see the Wiki) and then add "audio/aac" to the custom-types.conf in addition to "audio/aacp".

Hi,

It was through the Slimserver "Tune in URL" I tried, but without setting up aac transcoding. I'll look into that, thank you!

rgds,

.brum

bpa
2008-02-23, 07:13
Just checked - the AACplus wiki entry already has the changes needed to support AAC and it works.

However use the proper URL and not the playlist file
http://scfire-nyk-aa01.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1049

The name of songs will appear on the display but because the display routine is not aware of the transcoding, the titles are excessively delayed - with slow speed (64K) AAC+ streams the delay can be 5 minutes ! I suspect it will be only 1-2 minutes for 128kbitsstream.

.brum
2008-02-23, 12:46
Just checked - the AACplus wiki entry already has the changes needed to support AAC and it works.

Indeed, it works like a charm :)! The song data is a couple of minutes late with a 128k stream, but that's a minor niggle.

One thing that puzzles me is that the SB states that bitrate is 128kpbs CBR and file format aap, although I enabled (only) the aap->flac conversion. Now I wonder, does it actually transcode, and why isn't this reflected in the stream data?

Anyway, thanks a lot!

rgds,

.brum

bpa
2008-02-23, 13:17
It is transcoded into Flac. The display routines show the format of the original stream as that will reflect the actual quality.

The way AAC and AAC+ is handled is a bit unusual but it enabled the Song titles to be displayed.

There is little point in saying a 64kbps AAC+ stream is a Flac stream - the quality will not be there and the user may then complain that the Flac stream is not working well.

.brum
2008-02-23, 17:23
It is transcoded into Flac. The display routines show the format of the original stream as that will reflect the actual quality.

Excellent, cheers!

.brum

Texas97
2010-05-14, 12:22
I posted a new topic that is related to this. It turns out a station that I like is available only if I am connected to my SB server and not if I am only connected to mysb.com. I contacted RadioTime about it and apparently it is because this station recently changed to AAC streaming and SBR cannot handle AAC unless you go via your SB server on your computer.

Is this something that is going to be fixed? The only computer I have is a laptop and I don't have it on that often. But this would mean I would need to have it on anytime I wanted to listen to this station.

toby10
2010-05-14, 12:57
.... station recently changed to AAC streaming and SBR cannot handle AAC unless you go via your SB server on your computer.

.....But this would mean I would need to have it on anytime I wanted to listen to this station.

At present I believe this is your only option. :(

aubuti
2010-05-14, 19:39
Is this something that is going to be fixed?
I'd suggest asking that question to the radio station in question.