PDA

View Full Version : Can you control 2 squeezeboxes with the IR remote?

jonbauer
2008-02-22, 17:06
Hi All,

So I know that with the Duet remote, you can control multiple receivers.

My question: Can you control multiple receivers using the IR remote pointed at one of the receivers?

My guess is no, but I want to confirm...

- Thanx in advance!
- Jon

peterw
2008-02-22, 18:22
The Squeezebox Receiver cannot be directly controlled via IR remote, as it has no IR receiver.

You can use one IR remote control to control two or more IR-equipped players. For instance, I can point my living room remote at the kitchen, or vice-versa.

If the players were, say, right next to each other and you wanted to control them separately, you'd need to do something like use a universal remote programmed with Slim Devices codes and JVC DVD codes (under different device buttons) and then use the SlimServer/SqueezeCenter web UI to configure it so one player only responds to JVC, and the other only to Slim codes. You'd still need to use Slim codes (and be careful where you pointed the remote) for special commands that the Squeezebox firmware handles like holding the Power button to reboot or the Brightness button to trigger a firmware update.

jonbauer
2008-02-22, 18:27
Peter, thanks for the note.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. I'm asking this for a friend that wants to have Squeezeboxes in seperate rooms, but wants to control all rooms without going to the other room where the other Squeezebox resides.

With the Duet wifi remote, I know that you can select the Squeezebox receiver that you want to work with. Can you do the same thing with an IR remote - point to one Squeezebox and control another one?

- Jon

snarlydwarf
2008-02-22, 18:31
With the Duet wifi remote, I know that you can select the Squeezebox receiver that you want to work with. Can you do the same thing with an IR remote - point to one Squeezebox and control another one?

Yes, actually, there is a plugin that does that.

OtherPlayers... http://thespicers.net/otherPlayers.html by Max Spicer. Very useful but it does require SS7.

jonbauer
2008-02-22, 18:53
Sweet! Thank you!

- Jon

peterw
2008-02-22, 18:54
Yes, actually, there is a plugin that does that.

OtherPlayers... http://thespicers.net/otherPlayers.html by Max Spicer. Very useful but it does require SS7.

Also ShadowPlay, which also works on earlier releases of SlimServer.