PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions on SB2 playing songs from PC

pcumming
2008-02-22, 14:44
I can play songs through the SB2 without a problem. I want to play them randomly so I enabled a plug-in called Random Mix.
I can keep hitting the PLAY button on the remote and a new song (not in order on PC) will change.
1. However, is there a way to have the name of the song display on the LCD rather than the word RANDOM MIX? ***I am a dope--if you give it enough time, it does display the song and time remaining....

2. I notice if I hit Shuffle on the remote, the first song in the MP3 folder on my PC plays. If I hit the play button, it will begin the same song over. The only way to change the song is hit the down arrow and hit play (on remote). So therefore it is not shuffling. But perhaps it will only shuffle when the song is done playing. Any ideas??

3. When playing XMRadio (I subscribe ) I notice an entry on the SB2 (version 6.54) that says "Presets". However you cannot add presets, you can only add an XM Radio station as a "Favorite". And to access Favorites you have to go to a higher level menu. Which is fine, just working thought it. I assume what I said is correct. Remarks??

Am getting used to all of this. Even though I had SB2 for a while I never played MP3's off of my PC and never used XM. Just used it for Live365 when I subscribed and for Internet Radio.

Thanks for the help for a older newbie.

Sincerely
Peter

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-22, 14:50
I can play songs through the SB2 without a problem. I want to play them randomly so I enabled a plug-in called Random Mix.
I can keep hitting the PLAY button on the remote and a new song (not in order on PC) will change.
1. However, is there a way to have the name of the song display on the LCD rather than the word RANDOM MIX?

Press NOW PLAYING, or cycle back (left) through the display, then up and down to Now Playing, then right.

2. I notice if I hit Shuffle on the remote, the first song in the MP3 folder on my PC plays. If I hit the play button, it will begin the same song over. The only way to change the song is hit the down arrow and hit play (on remote). So therefore it is not shuffling. But perhaps it will only shuffle when the song is done playing. Any ideas??

Not quite sure what you're trying to do here - the Shuffle button shuffles the current playlist. What do you have in your playlist?

pcumming
2008-02-22, 15:12
Thanks. If given enough time (I was running around doing too much today), the LCD does display the current song.

As for SHUFFLE. I did not have a playlist. I thought SHUFFLE would shuffle through the subdirectory of songs on my PC. So now I know you need to use Random Mix for that.

Thanks
Peter

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-22, 15:30
Thanks. If given enough time (I was running around doing too much today), the LCD does display the current song.

This is the Now Playing screensaver kicking in.

As for SHUFFLE. I did not have a playlist. I thought SHUFFLE would shuffle through the subdirectory of songs on my PC. So now I know you need to use Random Mix for that.

Yes. Note you make a playlist in SS by finding items on the left pane and either playing them or adding them to the right pane, which contains the current playlist.

mflint
2008-02-22, 15:42
Strictly speaking, whenever you press "Play", a temporary playlist is created for you - and it's that playlist which is played.

What's on the SB2 screen when you press "Play"? You say it's playing the same song over and over - did you hit play while the track was being shown? If so, try pressing play when the containing folder (or album, or artist) is shown instead,

If you enable 'shuffle', tracks in the current playlist will be shuffled - you need to make sure the playlist has more than one track.

(Forgive me if I've got this completely wrong though!)

Matthew

pcumming
2008-02-22, 17:48
Thanks you have been so kind to answer my questions.

Appreciate it much
Peter