PDA

View Full Version : Debian repositories for other architectures

Splatter
2008-02-21, 00:43
Hello,
First of all, I think it's great that you have debian apt repositiories for Slimserver. I was wondering if it is possible to add support for other architectures to them?

From my experience, many people are running slimserver on a nas or some other small network appliance, and they usually run/can easily be pathed to debian. I think mips and arm are the most common architectures (don't quote me on this).

Since Slimserver is mostly perl anyway (=architecture independent), it should't be difficult to add a mips/arm repository with all the perl stuff there, and the dependencies can be pulled from the normal debian repositories.

This would ease installation a lot. If I had a server i could just make the repositories myself, but sadly that's not the case at the moment.

Kind regards,
Kalle Happonen

Matt Wise
2008-02-21, 13:08
Hello,
First of all, I think it's great that you have debian apt repositiories for Slimserver. I was wondering if it is possible to add support for other architectures to them?

From my experience, many people are running slimserver on a nas or some other small network appliance, and they usually run/can easily be pathed to debian. I think mips and arm are the most common architectures (don't quote me on this).

Since Slimserver is mostly perl anyway (=architecture independent), it should't be difficult to add a mips/arm repository with all the perl stuff there, and the dependencies can be pulled from the normal debian repositories.

This would ease installation a lot. If I had a server i could just make the repositories myself, but sadly that's not the case at the moment.

Kind regards,
Kalle Happonen

I do think it would be nice for those users... but, its not quite as simple as it might seem. As we've adopted the strategy of including our own pre-compiled libraries rather than relying on package-dependencies, we would have to build and include each of those set of libraries for each architecture. I would hate to go down the path of using package-dependencies for some packages, and built-in-libraries for others -- that would be really inconsistent.

sim909
2011-06-12, 01:55
This thread is a bit old... but I second Splatter's point.

It's been a while since 2008, I wasn't a squeezebox owner then.
I now run a squeezeboxserver on debian running on an arm architecture, and all I have to do to install is get the .deb file that is in the repository for i386 or amd64 (they are the same and point to the same file in the pool) and install it manually.

So this makes me think that it would now be very simple to add at least the "armel" architecture: just a question of setting up the correct links on the repository, the .deb file itself already has the libraries compiled for arm.

Any chance of this happening in the near future?