PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter / Flac->Mp3

Klaus
2008-02-20, 02:46
Hi

I just try to setup my squeezecenter (7.0 - 17599) on a remote server. I want to change the settings, that it streams my flac files as mp3 to my squeezebox.

For this, on Players -> Audio I change "Bitrate Limiting" to 320kbps. The screen there says, "The LAME encoder appears to be installed correctly on your system".

On Advanced -> File Types, I want to set in the Flac Section:
FLAC: Disabled
MP3: flac/lame

When i make apply, it rewerts the flac/lame setting always to disabled.

I tried to find if I have somehwere the lame-encoder, but personlly i think, it's not installed and the message from the squeezecenter is wrong.

Questions:
1) is that what i try to do correct for forcing squeezecenter to stream mp3 to squeezebox
2) how can i verify if lame is installed or not
3) if not, where can i download it

Thanks

slimpy
2008-02-20, 02:57
Why would you want to stream flac as mp3 to the squeezebox?
Server OS?
Search for lame.exe on windows or lame on linux (usually in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin).
You also need flac so make sure it is installed (flac.exe or flac).
Lame for windows can be found here (http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php) and flac here (http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html).
If you are on linux then use your package manager to install lame and flac.

-s.

Klaus
2008-02-20, 03:56
why, because I stream it over the internet. Flac works usually, but in the evening when many guys are surfing, sometimes it hangs... so i just want to have the option ;-)

lame.exe was missing, now it works.... in this case the message shown on the player settings was wrong.

to answer your last question, win2003 standard ;-)

thanks for help

DasFox
2008-10-17, 00:22
So if you have lame installed it is going to stream the .flac files to .mp3?

Do you really need lame installed otherwise?

Also why do you need flac installed, I can already play .flac files without it installed. I have SqueezeCenter and SqueezeSoft installed, I thought one of them has it installed by default?

THANKS

slimpy
2008-10-17, 06:20
So if you have lame installed it is going to stream the .flac files to .mp3?
No.
But if you want to stream to a remote location with limited bandwidth like the OP in this thread you have the option to stream flac as mp3.
Flac will be transcoded to mp3 on the server.

Do you really need lame installed otherwise?
No.

Also why do you need flac installed, I can already play .flac files without it installed. I have SqueezeCenter and SqueezeSoft installed, I thought one of them has it installed by default?

If your player can play flac natively there is no need to have flac installed on the server machine.
However if you want to stream flac files to software players like winamp or older SD players that can't play flac natively (like the SliMP3) you need to transcode the flac to a supported format.
If you want to stream flac as wav you only need flac on the server for the decoding.
If you want to stream flac as mp3 you need flac for the decoding and lame for the encoding part.

-s.

DasFox
2008-10-17, 06:56
I'm just use this for a web app is all, I don't have the hardware, so I'm using softsqueeze to play.

I just installed lame because the settings said I didn't have it installed, so I wasn't sure what it was needed for, so I just installed it.

I see in the Advanced settings the file types, is this where you'd change it around if you wanted to stream from flac to mp3, and if so, how do you change these?

THANKS

slimpy
2008-10-17, 07:44
I'm just use this for a web app is all, I don't have the hardware, so I'm using softsqueeze to play.

I just installed lame because the settings said I didn't have it installed, so I wasn't sure what it was needed for, so I just installed it.

I see in the Advanced settings the file types, is this where you'd change it around if you wanted to stream from flac to mp3, and if so, how do you change these?
If playback of your files works you can safely ignore this message. There's no need to install lame or change any settings.

If you do want to enable transcoding to mp3 you can either
disable flac-flac in settings - advanded - file types (not recommended, affects all players)
or better
enable bitrate limiting in settings - player - audio. This only affects the selected player. Is this the place where you saw the message about lame not being installed?

-s.

DasFox
2008-10-17, 18:08
If playback of your files works you can safely ignore this message. There's no need to install lame or change any settings.

If you do want to enable transcoding to mp3 you can either
disable flac-flac in settings - advanded - file types (not recommended, affects all players)
or better
enable bitrate limiting in settings - player - audio. This only affects the selected player. Is this the place where you saw the message about lame not being installed?

-s.

Ok, I thought lame was needed for the MP3 streaming as well.

THANKS