PDA

View Full Version : Duet ETA?

johndpar
2008-02-19, 07:59
Hi folks

Any news on when the Duet package/components will start shipping, especially in the UK?

Kind regards

John

MuckleEck
2008-02-19, 08:19
According to Ripcaster Thursday 21st and according to advancedmp3players Friday 22nd...we shall see

Shredder
2008-02-19, 08:31
I assume that means 7.0 will be released on the same day?

Heuer
2008-02-19, 10:21
Just had an email from advancedmp3players:

Thanks for your backorder. The Squeezebox shipment has been delayed but is now en-route from China. The previous delay was due to firmware updates (now resolved) - please find the latest news from the supplier below:

"I have spoken to Logitech today and they inform me that the stock is currently on route from China and should be into the Holland warehouse within the next two weeks. I would say we should be able to get the stock out to you 1st week in March. Apologies for the delays and any inconvenience caused"

johndpar
2008-02-19, 10:40
Thanks for that update - I guess I have some more time to save the pennies!

Regards

John

mvalera
2008-02-19, 14:29
According to Ripcaster Thursday 21st and according to advancedmp3players Friday 22nd...we shall see

Neither of them has ANY idea.

We have a RC of SqueezeCenter 7 as of today, but news elsewhere (not on the hardware side) has murkied the waters. I'll let you know more when things clear up a bit.

Mike

johndpar
2008-02-20, 01:08
I just hope that M$ is not the cause of the murky water.

I'm sorry but I (like many) will not purchase Duet if M$ eats Logitech/SD

Hopes now turned to fears.

John.

Robin Bowes
2008-02-20, 04:23
johndpar wrote:
> I just hope that M$ is not the cause of the murky water.
>
> I'm sorry but I (like many) will not purchase Duet if M$ eats
> Logitech/SD
>
> Hopes now turned to fears.

Old news now turned to wild rumour-mongering, I feel.

R.

slimkid
2008-02-20, 07:38
I'm sorry but I (like many) will not purchase Duet if M$ eats Logitech/SD...

John.

Very honest question: Why?

thks,

K

bhaagensen
2008-02-20, 08:22

It's a good day for gossiping/whining for me too :) So I'll give you a short version from my pov. First, if Logitech became a MS company I would not purchase more products either. It is not meant as a threat. I've deliberately avoided MS products for 10+ years and I see no reason to change my principles for something as insignificant as my stereo.

Some of the major reasons reasons I have are for example the EU MS antitrust-case, MS's seemingly unwillingness to listen to others than themselves in the discussion around the Open Document Format, the "threats" towards the free software-community regarding patents. Furthermore MS does not seem to learn from their mistakes. A while ago they where sued by Opera for basically the same as they got fined for in the EU case. In general I do not approve of the closeness of their business model. I also think that some of their informational campaigns are giving wrong information, such as their recent anti-piracy campaign.

It's not black and white I know, but MS is a company which I do not endorse based on my knowledge, and consequently I do not buy their products. Anyway, that's how I see it.

B.

MrD
2008-02-20, 09:44
MS bought this company too www.nirvis.com

The SLink part of the interface is obsolete, but there is no better product on the market for IR/PC integration.

mvalera
2008-02-20, 12:33
I just hope that M$ is not the cause of the murky water.

I'm sorry but I (like many) will not purchase Duet if M$ eats Logitech/SD

Hopes now turned to fears.

John.

I can assure you that MS has absolutely no impact on anything we do... besides their OS software.

SilverRS8
2008-02-20, 12:53
I can assure you that MS has absolutely no impact on anything we do... besides their OS software.

Does this mean 'When there is smoke, there is a fire?'

Frank

Mitch Harding
2008-02-20, 13:17
I think it means that people are making conspiracy theories out of nothing...

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:53 PM, SilverRS8
<SilverRS8.353hpn1203537301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> mvalera;271345 Wrote:
> > I can assure you that MS has absolutely no impact on anything we do...
> > besides their OS software.
>
> Does this mean 'When there is smoke, there is a fire?'
>
> Frank
>
>
> --
> SilverRS8
>
> Author of AlbumCatalogCreator for SqueezeCenter & SlimServer
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> SilverRS8's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=12818
>
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43658
>
>

mvalera
2008-02-20, 13:44
Does this mean 'When there is smoke, there is a fire?'

Frank

I meant there is no smoke, or fire when it comes to MS affecting our product development or release schedules.

I think it means that people are making conspiracy theories out of nothing...

Ya, what he said.

Ben Sandee
2008-02-20, 14:51
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM, mvalera <
mvalera.353k0z1203540301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I meant there is no smoke, or fire.
>

So did you just accidentally reveal that Microsoft is buying Logitech?
Wow!

Mike, you can't win, no matter what! :-)

Ben

Taxcheat
2008-02-20, 15:21
Going for the low-hanging fruit while I'm waiting for my Duet to arrive.

johndpar
2008-02-20, 17:47
Hi

Mostly the same reasons as bhaagensen.

I've been involved in the computer industry one way or another for over 30 years and I've never been impressed by anything M$ have ever done.

The cavalier attitude to product quality which M$ have demonstrated time and time again simply does not meet my requirements for myself or my customers.

I tolerate M$ OS and apps for business use only because I must exchange files with other companies that use M$ products.

However, quality and reliability are everything when it comes to home applications - no way is rebooting ever an acceptable solution - WAF zero. I will never use a M$ based OS for any home control or entertainment application.

M$ buying Logitech alone would be bad enough - I've always liked Logitech mice - good quality and reliable. I fear that would change once the bean counters at M$ apply the thumbscrews.

As for a M$ branded Duet or SB3 - how long would it be before it would be necessary to use a M$ only server platform because of some perceived benefit or misguided marketing directive?

I watch developments with interest and fear!

John

bhaagensen
2008-02-20, 17:59
Going for the low-hanging fruit while I'm waiting for my Duet to arrive.

Say is that the new uncluttered cli-based jive interface. Looks mighty nice: very xterm like, bet Microsoft never could make something like that!

B.

Balthazar_B
2008-02-20, 19:41

We have a RC of SqueezeCenter 7 as of today, but news elsewhere (not on the hardware side) has murkied the waters. I'll let you know more when things clear up a bit.

Mike

I hope some slimy patent factory is not suing you over Jive...

MadScientist
2008-02-21, 01:49
Sorry to be thick, but RC=?

davep
2008-02-21, 01:54
Sorry to be thick, but RC=?

Usually = Release Canidate, i.e. beyond beta and almost, but not quite, the final official version. But then again it might become the official version if nobody manages to break it in a couple of days.

davep

Muckle_Eck
2008-02-21, 02:36
I see from the ripcaster.co.uk website that the date has changed from 21st Feb to March......unhappy....

MadScientist
2008-02-21, 03:34
Thanks Davep

I notice Advanced MP3 are also quoting a March (12th) release - probaably guesswork

MS

Sike
2008-02-21, 05:00
Got March 12th as the stock date over her in Switzerland too.

MBSqueeze
2008-02-21, 14:35
Well, it would be nice to see the manual for the Duet posted - while it's in route ... :)

MuckleEck
2008-02-21, 14:44

Mike

Mike,

Both of these companies are your suppliers of your equipment.

If they have no idea then that is Logitechs fault for not keeping their suppliers informed.

I found your reply, before the edit, rather arrogant and unnecessary from a Logitech employee.

Alasdair

Ben Sandee
2008-02-21, 15:07
On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM, MuckleEck <
MuckleEck.355hgz1203630301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Mike,
>
> Both of these companies are your suppliers of your equipment.
>
> If they have no idea then that is Logitechs fault for not keeping their
> suppliers informed.

If suppliers are making up dates then they are idiots and Logitech should
find better suppliers.

Ben

oreillymj
2008-02-21, 16:01
Alasdair,

Give the guy a break. I'm don't know what was said to cause offence, but Mike obviously re-thought his reply and edited it.

Since it was intended to be humourous, perhaps the first rev didn't accurately convey his intended meaning. So go with the revised version and lighten up.

Life's too short to upset about a forum post.

peter
2008-02-22, 02:28
MuckleEck wrote:
> mvalera;271065 Wrote:
>
>> Neither of them has ANY idea.
>>
>> We have a RC of SqueezeCenter 7 as of today, but news elsewhere (not on
>> the hardware side) has murkied the waters. I'll let you know more when
>> things clear up a bit.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>
> Mike,
>
> Both of these companies are your suppliers of your equipment.
>
> If they have no idea then that is Logitechs fault for not keeping their
> suppliers informed.
>
> I found your reply, before the edit, rather arrogant and unnecessary
> from a Logitech employee.
>

The obvious explanation is that not even Logitech themselves know.

Regards,
Peter

olc
2008-02-26, 17:51
[QUOTE

The obvious explanation is that not even Logitech themselves know.

Regards,
Peter[/QUOTE]

But the least they could do is say it's delayed instead of leaving at that it will ship in February when they should know by now if it is or isn't. As it is now they have 3 days to do what they said they would do, and if they know they can't make it, have the consideration to say so.

snarlydwarf
2008-02-26, 18:15
But the least they could do is say it's delayed instead of leaving at that it will ship in February when they should know by now if it is or isn't. As it is now they have 3 days to do what they said they would do, and if they know they can't make it, have the consideration to say so.

You mean like this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=272510&postcount=22

mvalera
2008-02-26, 18:28

Actually we still hope to begin shipping pre-orders this week.

If we can't we'll post it here.

Mike

mkozlows
2008-02-26, 18:48

What is the bottleneck, incidentally? You said not hardware and not software, so... SqueezeNetwork not ready? Boxes not folded up? Manuals misprinted?

improvisato
2008-02-26, 18:49

Mike

This is fantastic news. Bravo!

seanadams
2008-02-26, 20:31
What is the bottleneck, incidentally? You said not hardware and not software, so... SqueezeNetwork not ready? Boxes not folded up? Manuals misprinted?

No individual major thing - just a lot of spit and polish, and yes, fixing a few goofs like misprints. I can tell you if it weren't for the new "corporate overlords" bankrolling the inventory, we'd have been forced to ship much sooner. As it is we are able to take the time to nail a lot more final bugs, and I expect the extra wait will prove to have been well worth it!

Shredder
2008-02-27, 07:29
I assume that means 7.0 will be released this week?

olc
2008-02-27, 10:50

Mike

Good news!!

I put in my pre-order minutes after I got the email saying you could do it so should be near the top.

Thank you.

vdorta
2008-02-27, 10:59

thks,

K

Ideology trumps good sound

mvalera
2008-02-27, 11:15

That's the plan, unless we break something. :P

Shredder
2008-02-27, 11:19
Excellent on the 7.0 release. Very psyched for the upgrade. I do love my SB3 and TP. Thanks for all the great work.

mvalera
2008-02-27, 11:22
Good news!!

I put in my pre-order minutes after I got the email saying you could do it so should be near the top.

Thank you.

As Sean mentioned, there were some misprint problems with items in the boxes, and even some of the boxes themselves. As long as the SqueezeCenter/firmware/SqueezeNetwork side stays on track (this is looking good), it's the physical rework of the boxes that will be the gating item for fulfilling our pre-orders.

The guys in the back have already started the rework process. So as we said the plan is to begin shipping pre-orders this week and then work thru the pre-order list, in order by date, until we get them all out the door. Providing we begin shipping on Friday, it will likely take us to the middle/end of next week to finish.

I'll let you know more when I know more.

FYI... all the pre-order and shipping stuff above is in reference to the Slimdevices.com store only.

Mike

SilverRS8
2008-02-27, 11:27
As Sean mentioned, there were some misprint problems with items in the boxes, and even some of the boxes themselves. As long as the SqueezeCenter/firmware/SqueezeNetwork side stays on track (this is looking good), it's the physical rework of the boxes that will be the gating item for fulfilling our pre-orders.

The guys in the back have already started the rework process. So as we said the plan is to begin shipping pre-orders this week and then work thru the pre-order list, in order by date, until we get them all out the door. Providing we begin shipping on Friday, it will likely take us to the middle/end of next week to finish.

Mike

Thanks Mike for clearing things up. Very good news.
Do you also know if international pre-orders (I pre-ordered a Duet in the Netherlands) are also shipping when the US pre-orders are?

Frank

MBSqueeze
2008-02-27, 11:49
Hi Mike,

Will you post the Duet user manual as soon as possible?

Thanks,
Mark

mvalera
2008-02-27, 11:54
Thanks Mike for clearing things up. Very good news.
Do you also know if international pre-orders (I pre-ordered a Duet in the Netherlands) are also shipping when the US pre-orders are?

Frank

Unfortunately I don't.

We as a Business Unit (the guys in Logitech who design/make the products) have a ship hold on all the boxes at our distribution centers around the world until the SqueezeCenter/firmware/SqueezeNetwork side is done and signed off on. The DC for our Slimdevices.com store's online orders is in the back of our building, and once we get the word we will begin shipping immediately. I don't know how fast our other worldwide DC's will start start to ship product, but it shouldn't take them more than a few days.

For those that ordered thru a retailer (not Logitech), the retailer will first have to receive their units from their distribution source before they ship to end users. This may take up to a week or two after we start shipping here from the Slimdevices.com store.

amcluesent
2008-02-27, 12:54
>Excellent on the 7.0 release. Very psyched for the upgrade.<

Heh, could be a big s/w weekend! Vista SP1 AND SC7...Oh wait, it has been tested on SP1? ;-)

SilverRS8
2008-02-27, 13:11

FYI... all the pre-order and shipping stuff above is in reference to the Slimdevices.com store only.

Mike

Thanks for clearing it up. Keeping my fingers crossed for speedy delivery after pre-order shipment start....

SilverRS8
2008-02-27, 13:12
>Excellent on the 7.0 release. Very psyched for the upgrade.<

Heh, could be a big s/w weekend! Vista SP1 AND SC7...Oh wait, it has been tested on SP1? ;-)

Microsoft revoked SP1 because of many issues (most important: reboot loops) so I guess MS needs some testing to do themselfs first ;-)

egd
2008-02-28, 04:37
Ideology trumps good sound

as attested to by your sig :P

mvalera
2008-02-29, 17:42
Hey Guys,

Unfortunately we will not be able to pull off shipping these out by today.

Please see my announcement at the top of every forum for the details, but basically we hope to ship before next Friday. We might even be able to start getting them out as early as Monday.

Also everyone that placed their order before I changed the date on the website will get an upgrade to Next Day Air, or Worldwide Express.

Sorry for the delay!

Mike

pichonCalavera
2008-02-29, 17:55

That\\\\\\\'s the plan, unless we break something. :P

Woohoo!, can finally change the Debian repository to stable :)

mvalera
2008-02-29, 17:59
7.0 missed today as well.

Might be released as early as Monday. QA has to test and approve a last minute bug fix.

pichonCalavera
2008-02-29, 18:07
7.0 missed today as well.

Might be released as early as Monday. QA has to test and approve a last minute bug fix.

Oh ok, no problem, going to enjoy beta software one more weekend :P

Enoch Soames
2008-02-29, 19:13
Generous and fair, Mike. Can't complain.

I pre-ordered back on Feb. 6, but as of yet haven't received the email you mentioned in your announcement. Should I be concerned?

Hey Guys,

Please see my announcement at the top of every forum for the details, but basically we hope to ship before next Friday. We might even be able to start getting them out as early as Monday.

Also everyone that placed their order before I changed the date on the website will get an upgrade to Next Day Air, or Worldwide Express.

Sorry for the delay!

Mike

JimC
2008-02-29, 19:17
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay!

Mike

Actually, everyone who preordered gets *free* shipping, upgraded to Next Day (or Worldwide Express). We are really sorry about the delay and figured we would pick up the tab for shipping AND upgrade it, as well.

-=> Jim

Mitch Harding
2008-02-29, 19:22
Much appreciated! It definitely makes the delay news a little less
painful. I expect nothing less from you guys, though -- always top
notch service.

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:17 PM, JimC
<JimC.35knjb1204338001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> mvalera;274025 Wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > Unfortunately we will not be able to pull off shipping these out by
> > today.
> >
> > Please see my announcement at the top of every forum for the details,
> > but basically we hope to ship before next Friday. We might even be able
> > to start getting them out as early as Monday.
> >
> > Also everyone that placed their order before I changed the date on the
> > website will get an upgrade to Next Day Air, or Worldwide Express.
> >
> > Sorry for the delay!
> >
> > Mike
>
> Actually, everyone who preordered gets *free* shipping, upgraded to
> Next Day (or Worldwide Express). We are really sorry about the delay
> and figured we would pick up the tab for shipping AND upgrade it, as
> well.
>
>
> -=> Jim
>
>
> --
> JimC
>
> "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that." --
> BKlaas' college buddy
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JimC's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=9428
>
>
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43658
>
>

Ben Sandee
2008-02-29, 20:12
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Enoch Soames <
Enoch.Soames.35knaz1204337701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Generous and fair, Mike. Can't complain.
>
> I pre-ordered back on Feb. 6, but as of yet haven't received the email
> you mentioned in your announcement. Should I be concerned?
>

I preordered too but never got any sort of confirmation, nor a follow-up
email about the delay. I hope it wasn't lost!

Ben

mvalera
2008-02-29, 23:51
You guys didn't even receive an order confirmation?

PM me your full names and email addresses and we will try to look up your orders on Monday.

Mike

EnochLight
2008-03-01, 07:15
You guys didn't even receive an order confirmation?

PM me your full names and email addresses and we will try to look up your orders on Monday.

Mike

I received my pre-order confirmation email on February 5th, but I never received the email stating that there would be a delay. Should I have received that by now?

Llevar
2008-03-01, 09:11
I'm the same as above. Got confirmation on Feb 5th but no email yesterday.

cshaida
2008-03-01, 09:51
FYI, same for me as above. Received my order confirmation on Feb 6. But no email(s) since.

seanadams
2008-03-01, 10:03
If you have not received any email about your order, please contact sales@slimdevices.com or call 650.210.9400.

mvalera
2008-03-01, 18:31
I checked everyone that PM'ed me. You are all in there.

For those that didn't PM me your info, check your spam filters. The email came from [matt AT slimdevices DOT com]. It was titled "Your Squeezebox Duet Pre-order".

msherman
2008-03-02, 06:24
JimC wrote:
>
> Actually, everyone who preordered gets *free* shipping, upgraded to
> Next Day (or Worldwide Express). We are really sorry about the delay
> and figured we would pick up the tab for shipping AND upgrade it, as
> well.

What, no pony? :)

- Marc

Juliozaffo
2008-03-02, 06:50
I'll take a miniature Shetland.

Balthazar_B
2008-03-02, 08:37
...and I'll take a supersized Clydesdale :).

mparry
2008-03-03, 10:44
If you have a pre-order for a Squeezebox Duet and did not receive the email do not worry. I will be upgrading the shipping for everyone who placed a pre-order for the Squeezebox Duet.

sfraser
2008-03-03, 12:08
If you have a pre-order for a Squeezebox Duet and did not receive the email do not worry. I will be upgrading the shipping for everyone who placed a pre-order for the Squeezebox Duet.

How about Canadian orders :)?

mparry
2008-03-03, 12:18
Canadian pre-orders will be refunded the shipping cost and they will be sent out via UPS worldwide express. For areas of Canada where worldwide express is not available you will receive worldwide expedited and a shipping refund.

Echo
2008-03-03, 14:52
I will be upgrading the shipping for everyone who placed a pre-order for the Squeezebox Duet.

That is an unexpected and generous gesture. Thank you.

snarlydwarf
2008-03-03, 14:57
That is an unexpected and generous gesture. Thank you.

Well, shipping Ponies overnight is good. You never want to ship them UPS Ground, they tend to get hungry on long trips, not to mention they poop up a storm in the trucks.

mparry
2008-03-03, 16:37
Very true you never want to send a free pony via ups ground that would be extremely messy business.

jason3fc
2008-03-05, 13:54
I just got my order confirmation! The Duet is finally coming!

JasonJoel
2008-03-05, 14:00
I just pre-ordered mine this week, so certainly don't expect shipping modifications as I knew it was already delayed.

However, I must say that your shipping offer to the existing pre-orders is very classy and goes a long way towards building good will with the customer base.

Jason

olc
2008-03-05, 17:20
I just got my order confirmation! The Duet is finally coming!

Me too. Got a tracking number so hopefully should be here tomorrow.

herts101
2008-03-06, 02:32
Any ETA for the UK yet?

The UK logitech site still just has options for "Notify Me" - not even pre-order.

Ripcaster are quoting 13th March but not sure whether I'd be better to wait and order directly from Logitech.

Any views on which would get me a unit faster!!

Thanks.

Peter.

mherger
2008-03-06, 06:31
> Any ETA for the UK yet?

Europe should have started shipping last Monday. The Duets should be in the stores by now - unless pre-orders exceeded the first delivery batch :-)

--

Michael

herts101
2008-03-06, 11:52
Can't see anyone in the UK listing it as in stock yet.

Has anyone managed to find one?

Peter.

seanadams
2008-03-06, 12:01
Europe should have started shipping last Monday. The Duets should be in the stores by now - unless pre-orders exceeded the first delivery batch :-)

Sorry, there was some confusion there. European distribution actually started shipping yesterday. Some of those shipments are going directly to online resellers so they should be in customers' hands and listed as in-stock very soon.

jason3fc
2008-03-06, 12:25
Looks Like I jumped the gun thinking mine was on its way. I noticed that the email I got yesterday was just a copy of the same one I got when I preorderd, with no tracking info or anything, and UPS already passed through the neighborhood today.. Oh well, I'll just keep waiting. I havent gotten this excited about getting a gadget in a long time!

sellars
2008-03-06, 20:30
How soon are you going to start shipping units to your resellers? I ordered a Duet last Thursday in Vancouver, BC and I was told it would be here in 5 business days.
By the way: where can I leave feedback about the level of professionalism and service of your resellers?

JasonJoel
2008-03-06, 20:33
Ah... Mine should be here tomorrow. Cool. Will have time to play with it over the weekend.

Thanks guys.

Jason