PDA

View Full Version : Which Wireless Router to Use?

AudioDave
2008-02-18, 18:25
I am in the process of setting up my SB3 and need to upgrade my old wireless G router. Which router would you recommend to use? I will have the wireless router, cable modem, and desktop PC in one location, and the SP3 and stereo in another room. I have been looking at Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys, but there is to much to choose from! Thanks for your advice.
Dave

schatzy
2008-02-18, 18:29
Is there something wrong with the "Old Wireless G Router"

because if there is nothing wrong with its opperation and if you are not transfering HUGH amounts of data then there is no need to upgrade to something better.

Edit: Read this post it will explain a lot abot why wireless g is just fine for SC/SS

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43554

Schatzy

AudioDave
2008-02-19, 07:24
My mistake, my current router is Wireless-B. I assume I should upgrade to Wireless "G" or "N"?

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-19, 11:20
Try g. Definite advantages over b. The Linksys WRT54G is the most popular router ever sold. But the WRT54GL (note the "L") is the same as the earlier versions, the current WRT54G routers don't have as much resources as the GL, so you may want to get the GL.

Although "pre-n" routers can increase bandwidth at longer distances, the SB3 can't take advantage of the higher speed (nor would there be any point) so all you'd be gaining is greater range. Also the 802.11n standard isn't finalized yet despite all the hype out there...

AudioDave
2008-02-19, 14:58
Thanks for your reply. That is exactly what I was wanting to know! Wireless-G it is.

jth
2008-02-19, 15:03
I'd get a Linksys WRT54GL. You then have the option to use one of the 3rd-party firmwares which are quite good.

pfarrell
2008-02-19, 15:25
jth wrote:
> I'd get a Linksys WRT54GL. You then have the option to use one of the
> 3rd-party firmwares which are quite good.

Second this idea. It adds about $10 in initial purchase price, but its a
ton more flexible.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

cparker
2008-02-20, 11:08
I go against the grain :)

I recommend a Netgear N router, strong as a rock and automatically ensures the best signal by tweaking its power and aerial configuration.

Dont Linksys suffer from overheating? or was that the older models?

bhaagensen
2008-02-20, 11:51
I have a WRT54G, running official Linksys firmware. It's been running 24/7/365 for 5 years and only failed one single time. I think it crashed.

iPhone
2008-02-20, 20:47
I am in the process of setting up my SB3 and need to upgrade my old wireless G router. Which router would you recommend to use? I will have the wireless router, cable modem, and desktop PC in one location, and the SP3 and stereo in another room. I have been looking at Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys, but there is to much to choose from! Thanks for your advice.
Dave

I was having all kinds of SB3 issues. Stopping, rebooting, playing the first 30 seconds of a song over and over, playing only one song then no audio but display saying its playing with play time count down. It was the wireless network, not an SB3 issue (other then not enough data).

Problem solved with the Linksys WRT 300N. System and all SB3s have been working flawlessly since the new router was installed. I can also use the SB3 anywhere in the house as well as anywhere on my property. Can't wait for the Duet and its headphone jack to be turned on so I can mow the yard and listen to any of my tunes!

marlowe
2008-02-21, 02:47
I just bought a Linksys WRT54GL last saturday. Easy to set up (and I am not that good at computers) and it works fine.