PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox will not play AIFF files

Shakey
2008-02-18, 18:23
I've got a Apogee Duet to rip analog to aiff files. I can do it in a variety of ways but can't get them to play right on my SB.
The only thing that works is if I turn them into Apple Lossless.
Any thoughts?

Eric Seaberg
2008-02-18, 19:58
There's nothing wrong with Apple Lossless (ALAC) as it was written by Apple, Dolby and others. It is TRULY LOSSLESS and takes about half the disk space as AIFF or any other native format.

Everything I've ripped is ALAC and, using iTunes, I can handle all tagging and cataloging.

Any other questions?

Shakey
2008-02-18, 22:23
There's nothing wrong with Apple Lossless (ALAC) as it was written by Apple, Dolby and others. It is TRULY LOSSLESS and takes about half the disk space as AIFF or any other native format.

Everything I've ripped is ALAC and, using iTunes, I can handle all tagging and cataloging.

Any other questions?

Yes, so I rip a selection 24/96 aiff, send it to iTunes as a ALAC, move it to my NAS, stream it to my SB3 and it says it is a 44.1 Khz file.

So what happened?

I should mention I am using Roxio CD SpinDoctor to capture my needle drops via an Apogee Duet and a PowerBookG4.

KeithL
2008-02-19, 00:06
Shakey,

Keep your aiff ripping to 16bit and 44.1khz. My sb3 plays these aiffs natively.

Keith

Shakey
2008-02-19, 10:34
Is the Squeezebox able to use 24bit files? I know it has a 24bit DAC and I am aware that the DAC could do 96 khz sampling but that is not supported elsewhere in the SB, just thought I'd ask.

I understand just ripping 16/44.1 will work but that won't answer my questions.

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-19, 11:50
The SB2/3 will play up to 24/48.

Shakey
2008-02-20, 08:24
The SB2/3 will play up to 24/48.

I realize the limitations of 24/48 for the SB3.
What was messing me up was after I ripped an lp to my hard drive as 24/96 aiff I then compressed it with Apple Lossless.
What confused me was the SB saying it was sampled at 44.1 even though it was 96 and compressed.

I ripped some lps to 24/48 moved them to iTunes as an Apple Lossless then moved them over to the NAS and they played fine on the SB3.

So that's that.
Now, again I wish they'd come out with something between the SB3 and Transporter that would do 24/96, /88.2, /48, /44.1 and NOT include an Audiophile grade DAC

Eric Seaberg
2008-02-20, 09:58
Yes, so I rip a selection 24/96 aiff, send it to iTunes as a ALAC, move it to my NAS, stream it to my SB3 and it says it is a 44.1 Khz file.

So what happened?

I should mention I am using Roxio CD SpinDoctor to capture my needle drops via an Apogee Duet and a PowerBookG4.

I don't understand why you feel you need to rip at 96k! There's nothing on the vinyl above 20kHz!! Even if you ripped at 48k you've got extra room for the 'air'.

IMHO, 96k recording is ONLY worth it IF you are doing the original recording with great microphones and a great console. After that, save the bandwidth... you're not missing anything.

Shakey
2008-02-20, 15:41
Because I can and there are some that would argue about information above 20k. While there may be little there and we may not hear anywhere that high, again there is a consensous that brickwalling anywhere near it causes anomalies down in the frequencies we are able to hear.

Eric Seaberg
2008-02-20, 20:43
Whatever... I've been in the recording business since 1971 and have been through all of the arguments for more than that.

For what I'm doing now, in most cases, the HUGE amounts of required storage isn't worth the difference you 'might' hear. I've done several projects at 96k and higher (176.4k in one instance) because the producer asked for it. He paid so much money for extra storage and archival that we decided to try to talk people out of the difference.

Granted, 24-bit is WELL worth its weight in 'digits', I'm just not sold on higher sampling rates when archiving from older, inferior sources.

Have you tried doing any kind of SRC on your original files, at least to get them to 48k prior to having the SB3 do it?

Shakey
2008-02-21, 20:21
Have you tried doing any kind of SRC on your original files, at least to get them to 48k prior to having the SB3 do it?

No I haven't, for the time being I will just rip vinyl as 24/48