PDA

View Full Version : Dead Transporter

pkfox
2008-02-18, 02:55
Hi All, I recently suffered a very short power cut ( think nano second ) which rendered my Transporter mute !, the VDU meters were working, as was the "Now Playing" display, BUT ! there was no sound, fearing something awful had happened to my amp / TP, I tried playing it ( the TP ) through another channel - without success, in desperation I searched these forums and discovered the "press 1 while inserting the power cable" trick which brought it back to life ( and me ! ) can anyone tell me what actually happened to the TP ? my SB3 was unaffected as was my amp etc...

regards

Pete Kane

ceejay
2008-02-18, 12:11
The TP and recent SBs have a programmable logic array without which the device is pretty useless. Being programmable is great because it means that you can get the benefit of "hardware" upgrades as easily as upgrading firmware. The downside, which you've just experienced, is that nasty power glitches can get through and upset the chip. Fortunately, as you've found, there's a fix - just reprogram it!

Enjoy the music...

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-19, 06:49
This is the "SlimDSP" which was introduced with the SB2. Earlier models used hardwired decoder chips which were limiting - the SliMP3 can only decode MP3 with its Micronas MAS3507D and the SB1 only MP3 and WAV with its Micronas MAS3539 and because they are hardcoded, these can never be changed. I'm guessing the use of a programmable chip allowed the introduction of more uncommon formats (uncommon back then) like FLAC and it also allowed the introduction of more as time and resources permitted (WMA lossy and Ogg).

It will also allow for introduction of future formats as well as differences within a format, for example, the Transporter has a new decoder included with firmware 40 that introduces 24/88.2 playback.

peter
2008-02-19, 06:54
ceejay wrote:
> The TP and recent SBs have a programmable logic array without which the
> device is pretty useless. Being programmable is great because it means
> that you can get the benefit of "hardware" upgrades as easily as
> upgrading firmware. The downside, which you've just experienced, is
> that nasty power glitches can get through and upset the chip.
> Fortunately, as you've found, there's a fix - just reprogram it!
>

Couldn't the upset be detected by the firmware and the chip reprogrammed
automatically instead? This is the kind of thing that could make
non-technical users who haven't found the way to this forum very
unhappy. For them the machine just died...

Regards,
Peter

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-19, 06:56
It's a sufficiently rare event. In the 3 years I've owned an SB2, an SB3, a Transporter and now an SBR, I've had to do it once.

peter
2008-02-19, 07:06
Mark Lanctot wrote:
> It's a sufficiently rare event. In the 3 years I've owned an SB2, an
> SB3, a Transporter and now an SBR, I've had to do it once.
>

Same for me, once only, but if every SB owner has to call the support
line once for this kind of thing
it might get expensive really quick. (I've no idea how many SB owners
there are, of course)

Regards,
Peter

chinablues
2008-03-27, 01:58
Interesting, just happened to me too. After sending in a fault report to support, I browsed here under 'dead transporter' (of course, I should have done that first). I had the thing apart, checked voltages as I had a power supply failure a couple of years ago. Never though the fix would have been as simple!

I wonder if the glitch was something to do with the latest download rather than a power supply spike? I think it happened to me running 7.0.1 - 17981.

Dan

HalleysComet
2008-03-27, 07:53
Interesting, just happened to me too. After sending in a fault report to support, I browsed here under 'dead transporter' (of course, I should have done that first). I had the thing apart, checked voltages as I had a power supply failure a couple of years ago. Never though the fix would have been as simple!

I wonder if the glitch was something to do with the latest download rather than a power supply spike? I think it happened to me running 7.0.1 - 17981.

Dan

My Transporter died a day after the update to Squeezecenter 7.0 as well. I had to do both resets before it would work again. Thankfully, I'd seen posts on the problem, so I didn't panic! What a great resource this forum is!