PDA

View Full Version : Missing accented files: iTunes and composed vs decomposed unicode

Lorrin
2008-02-17, 00:12
Files with accents in their names aren't showing up in my SlimServer library. This is an iTunes interaction problem.

For example, I see this in the log file:
2008-02-16 22:23:51.7372 iTunes: file not found: /Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Wir Sind Helden/Soundso/04 Für Nichts Garantieren.mp3

The corresponding entry in my iTunes Music Library.xml is this:
<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Wir%20Sind%20Helden/Soundso/04%20Fu%CC%88r%20Nichts%20Garantieren.mp3</string>

Note the u%CC%88: that's a u-umlaut created with a u followed by a Combining Diaeresis (dialytika).

If I browse to the file in Firefox, the URL I end up with this:
file:///Volumes/media/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Wir%20Sind%20Helden/Soundso/04%20F%C3%BCr%20Nichts%20Garantieren.mp3

Note it uses %C3%BC to get the u-umlaut directly.

It seems like somewhere along the way there's a failure to recognize that the decomposed Unicode path in the iTunes Music Library.xml is equivalent to the composed Unicode that is the name of the file on disk.

My SlimServer setup involves three machines: a Mac that runs iTunes, a file server (Infrant/NetGear ReadyNAS) that stores the music library, and an Ubuntu machine that runs SlimServer. The Mac accesses the NAS via AppleShare and the Ubuntu machine accesses it via NFS.

SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - utf8
Perl Version: 5.8.8 i486-linux-gnu-thread-multi
MySQL Version: 5.0.45-Debian_1ubuntu3.1

Thanks for any help...
-Lorrin

Lorrin
2008-02-17, 00:50
hmm.. I should have been more specific. If I browse to the file in Firefox on the Ubuntu machine, the URL contains %C3%BC. But if I do on the Mac, the URL contains u%CC%88. This implies the NAS is exposing one file name to the Mac and another one to the Ubuntu machine. Seems like the fix needs to be there, rather than in SlimServer. Advice welcome... :-)