PDA

View Full Version : Network question/problem with setup. Laptop as remote...

sqwk77
2008-02-15, 10:52
Sorry for my ignorance here but...

I have a laptop setup as a NAS. I have a wireless network supposedly setup.

I want to be able to control the NAS laptop from another portable laptop. I want to be able to use the portable laptop as a sort of remote control to play itunes music, Rhapsody and Pandora FROM THE NAS LAPTOP as that is what is connected to my stereo.

Help Please!

Edit: I guess what I really want is total control of the NAS laptop especially its browser not just control of its files. Possible?

SilverRS8
2008-02-15, 11:23
Can you provide some additional information regarding the OS running on the NAS?

If Windows; Why not use the remote desktop feature of windows. This way you take over the screen, keyboard and mouse as if you actually sit behind the NAS laptop.

Frank

sqwk77
2008-02-15, 12:07
The portable laptop is Vista, the NAS is windows XP. Remote desktop sounds like what I want but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to activate it/set it up.

cparker
2008-02-15, 12:21
See this nasty long link;

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/02ddfbec-7a97-4788-9d54-86f174a95f841033.mspx

Looks like it depends on what version of Vista you are running whether it comes in the tin.

There are numerous other remote control software available though so google away.

Cheers

sqwk77
2008-02-15, 12:26
Thanks.

The portable is Vista Home Premium and the NAS is XP Home. So according to that link I cannot use remote desktop. Is there any third party software or workarounds anybody?

amcluesent
2008-02-15, 12:35
Have a look at VNC - http://www.uvnc.com/

sqwk77
2008-02-15, 12:40
I still haven't purchased the Duet or SB3 until I figure this out.

Would this work...

Forget about the NAS laptop altogether. Use my main laptop to control Rhapsody and Pandora sending the selections wirelessly via SqueezeCenter to the SB3 or SBR. Connect my Apple TV (using its 160gb drive as the NAS essentially) somehow to the SBox for my MP3s and control iTunes/Apple TV via my laptop as well?

amcluesent
2008-02-15, 12:51
So, I think you're getting in a tangle of what's possible.

1) You can use a SB3/SBR to connect the SqueezeNetwork on the internet without requiring any local Squeezecentre/NAS. Services coming across the internet like Pandora can be used this way: Pandora->Internet->Router->(Wi-Fi)>SB3/SBR. The SqueezeNetwork is like a SqueezeCenter out on the internet 'cloud'.

2) You need a local Squeezecentre running to serve locally held files to your SB3/SBR. Whatever box those file are held on, they need to be accessible by the Squeezecentre which then serves the data to the SB3/SBR. Can the Apple TV expose the disk as a mountable resource?
NB It's generally a bad move to have Squeezecentre use wi-fi access to both the disk and the SB3.

sqwk77
2008-02-15, 13:14
Hahaha.

Very true... I am getting in a huge tangle.

I want a DAC of some sort obviously. I want to control Rhapsody and Pandora from my laptop. I want to play my MP3s (ie iTunes) from wherever is best...laptop, AppleTV, NAS. I have two laptops. I just got an Apple TV as a gift. But I have yet to make the SBox purchase.

Just trying to figure out the best configuration before I start spending lots of dough.

pichonCalavera
2008-02-15, 14:57
One thing you should consider is that you cannot play DRM-protected music on the Squeezebox.

If you already have the AppleTV, you could play your local music from there, and use a SBR/SBC to play Pandora and Rhapsody from Squeezenetwork.

Another thing you should consider is the sound equipment you are going to use, for example if you only have one set of powered speakers, you\'ll have to switch the input from the speakers between the AppleTV and the SB3/SBC, depending of what source of music you are using at the moment.

Jaap_98
2008-03-28, 08:37
the home and home premium versions DO support remote desktop OUT so you can control the xp machine (if XP Pro which includes the remote server bit).

If not I can recommend TightVNC which is free!

good luck