PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Posting?

jst1
2008-02-14, 21:30
Is there an appropriate venue here in these forums for commercial postings for SlimServer hardware? There are a lot of threads on the topic of how to either build or buy the ideal platform, but the answers here generally take the 'DIY (do it yourself)' attitude. I'm interested in comments without starting a 'flame war'!

mvalera
2008-02-15, 10:49
What do you mean by commercial posting?

jst1
2008-02-15, 15:36
What do you mean by commercial posting?

I want to market a preconfigured slimserver device, and it seems this forum is a good audience! However, I am unsure if it is appropriate to use this forum. I do not believe it is possible to buy advertising space here either...

snarlydwarf
2008-02-15, 16:30
Well, I don't work for Slim so nothing I say is really going to be a conclusive answer...

The general mood around here is that commercial people are allowed to post, but not 'advertisements' per se, just a "hey, guys, we have this package".. be human, be real, participate in the community, and don't post marketing poop (sorry, JimC) and you will probably be okay.

Posting the equivalent of a flier (whether Slim allows you to or not) is gonna annoy people. Putting a link in your sig and participating in the community (for example, joining in the discussion about the Average Joe Market, which might be relevant to explaining your business model and why it would appeal to non-geeks, or just talking about your favorite music in the Music forunm and letting your rep as a Fine Upstanding Human Being do your advertising...) would probably annoy no one.

Marketroids get laughed at here, and you wil have a hard sell if you do things that way... but humans generally do well.

(I'll let Mike answer for whatever the Official Logitech Streaming stance is...)

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-15, 16:42
I want to market a preconfigured slimserver device, and it seems this forum is a good audience! However, I am unsure if it is appropriate to use this forum. I do not believe it is possible to buy advertising space here either...

I also don't work for Logitech but...this would generate a frenzy of interest in the 3rd Party Hardware forum:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

A lot of people have been talking about this very thing lately. I'm sure your opinion would be valuable and your suggestion of a product would be taken seriously.

Now - don't spam, don't crosspost, don't post like a bot, answer questions and I can't see why not?

You're approaching it correctly right from the start by asking first though, and that's a good sign.

JJZolx
2008-02-15, 19:49
Like Mark says, try the 3rd party hardware forum. Plenty of commercial posts have been made there in the past.

JimC
2008-02-15, 22:34
... don't post marketing poop (sorry, JimC)

No offense taken, so no apology needed. I'd like to think my posts have at least some signal...

-=> Jim

JimC
2008-02-15, 22:53

Third-party Hardware is the best place, but please try to avoid overly commercial content. Post a brief description of what you are offering and a link to your website to get more information. You'll probably get more interest if you actively monitor the forum, answer questions, and listen to the feedback you'll get.

Please be aware the providing commercial hardware with SlimServer/SqueezeCenter installed on it would require a redistribution agreement with Logitech, and some slight modifications to what is installed, as there as some limitations on our ability to sublicense the distribution rights for some of the files (primarily firmware) included in a standard download.

Send me a private message with your contact details, and I will have someone from our business development group get back to you.