PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to SlimServer 7?

alstein
2008-02-14, 11:34
Hi

I am currently using SlimServer v6.54 on my Vista PC. I also have the Sirius plugin which works well. Is there any reason for me to change to version 7? Its weird, but whenever things run too smoothly I get the urge to fiddle!

Thanks.

Secret Squirrel
2008-02-14, 12:11
Hi

I am currently using SlimServer v6.54 on my Vista PC. I also have the Sirius plugin which works well. Is there any reason for me to change to version 7? Its weird, but whenever things run too smoothly I get the urge to fiddle!

Thanks.

Fellow Upgrade-a-holic,

Come on in! The "water is fine"!

I feel your "pain". I guess I'm never happy with what I have and look to move up when everything is working. I guess it's the geek in me. I run a pretty vanilla system with one or two plug-ins, but I have never looked back after "going beta" in the end of November. I do not have experience with your plug-ins but have not heard any problems with upgrading them here on the forum. Just remember that you HAVE to download the version 7 plug-ins!

Have fun!

SS

Honva
2008-02-14, 13:11
Hi

Thanks.

Isn't that fun!?.....nowadays even working smoothly without problem is not enough. :-)

I found it actually part of the fun with SB is that new plugins and updates are showing up every day. For me, SC7 is a must. It fixed the following problem for me.
1. some internet radio stream not playing until I hit "pause" twice.
2. Chinese large font display top 2 pixel cut off.
3. Some album art in unicode directories not showing up.
4. More reliable wake-on-lan.

amcluesent
2008-02-14, 13:11
Just check that a SC7 version of the plug-in *is* available :)

My SC7 on Vista Business works fine, the UI is so much better!

alstein
2008-02-14, 15:57
Isn't that fun!?.....nowadays even working smoothly without problem is not enough. :-)

I found it actually part of the fun with SB is that new plugins and updates are showing up every day. For me, SC7 is a must. It fixed the following problem for me.
1. some internet radio stream not playing until I hit "pause" twice.
2. Chinese large font display top 2 pixel cut off.
3. Some album art in unicode directories not showing up.
4. More reliable wake-on-lan.

Hi

I downloaded the Windows .exe file, but have not yet run it. There was also a .zip version which I ignored. Do I need to uninstall my current version 6.54? I can't seem to locate instructions for version 7.0. Also, there does appear to be a version of the Sirius plugin for SC7.

Thanks.

eq72521
2008-02-14, 16:00
Hi

I downloaded the Windows .exe file, but have not yet run it. There was also a .zip version which I ignored. Do I need to uninstall my current version 6.54? I can't seem to locate instructions for version 7.0. Also, there does appear to be a version of the Sirius plugin for SC7.

Thanks.

I installed the Windows .exe last night on my secondary server, and it uninstalled 6.54 for me. I actually wasn't expecting this and might have preferred to keep the previous version around (or at least be warned that it was going to be removed), but everything is working OK with it so far.

alstein
2008-02-14, 16:02
I installed the Windows .exe last night on my secondary server, and it uninstalled 6.54 for me. I actually wasn't expecting this and might have preferred to keep the previous version around (or at least be warned that it was going to be removed), but everything is working OK with it so far.

Did it keep all your preferences, directories etc? Did you need to uninstall any plugins and reinstall ones designed for SC7?

EnochLight
2008-02-14, 21:46
You should uninstall all previous versions and do a clean install of 7.0. Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about saving your preferences; just set it up fresh - believe me - there are so many changes and improvements that you wouldn't want any pre-7.0 crap lingering around! ;-P

alstein
2008-02-14, 22:01
You should uninstall all previous versions and do a clean install of 7.0. Furthermore, I wouldn't worry about saving your preferences; just set it up fresh - believe me - there are so many changes and improvements that you wouldn't want any pre-7.0 crap lingering around! ;-P

Thanks. Everything seems to be working well. However I am a bit confused by the volume options. When I went to settings on the SB3 it showed the volume set at 50. Now there was another volume setting called "volume adjustment", which was set to "no volume adjustment". I assumed that the volume setting of 50 was meaningless since the volume adjustment was set to "no". However when I pressed the volume on the SB remote, the setting began to move higher, and so did the actual loudness of the music playing. I increased it to 100, and then adjusted the volume of my audio receiver to compensate. BTW, the SB3 is connected via toslink to my receiver. I assumed that if the volume adjustment on the SB3 was set to "no", then I was bypassing the volume control entirely on the SB3. Is there a setting that needs to be looked at?

EnochLight
2008-02-14, 22:09
Sorry - don't know anything about that. I am connected via the analog RCA jacks and just adjust the volume via the SB's IR remote...

radish
2008-02-14, 22:14
Volume adjustment refers to replay gain (automatic volume adjustment/normalization). If you want to fix the volume so it can't be adjusted, use the Digital Volume Control setting.

smc2911
2008-02-14, 22:20
Thanks. Everything seems to be working well. However I am a bit confused by the volume options. When I went to settings on the SB3 it showed the volume set at 50. Now there was another volume setting called "volume adjustment", which was set to "no volume adjustment". I assumed that the volume setting of 50 was meaningless since the volume adjustment was set to "no". However when I pressed the volume on the SB remote, the setting began to move higher, and so did the actual loudness of the music playing. I increased it to 100, and then adjusted the volume of my audio receiver to compensate. BTW, the SB3 is connected via toslink to my receiver. I assumed that if the volume adjustment on the SB3 was set to "no", then I was bypassing the volume control entirely on the SB3. Is there a setting that needs to be looked at?This refers to a different sort of volume adjustment: replay gain. Some tracks are louder (or quieter) than others. This can be annoying if, for example, you are playing a random selection and you turn the volume up for a quiet track only to be blasted by a loud one following it. Some rippers and many music player/management tools (e.g. foobar2000) can analyse a track (and a whole album) and note its average and peak loudness. The results can be stored in tags on the file. If you have Volume adjustment set to off on the SB it will ignore these tags (but have no effect on the volume controls). You can, however, set Volume Adjustment to "track" which means that the volume of the playing track is adjusted up or down based on its replay gain tags so that everything has the same average volume. You can also set this to album (uses the album tag but relative volume of tracks from the same album is maintained) or "smart" which will guess whether you are playing individual tracks (and use track gain) or tracks from an album if there are a number from the same album consecutively (and use album gain).

Hope that makes some sense.

smc2911
2008-02-14, 22:21
Typed too slowly (or wrote too much) and was pipped at the post there!

alstein
2008-02-15, 05:04
This refers to a different sort of volume adjustment: replay gain. Some tracks are louder (or quieter) than others. This can be annoying if, for example, you are playing a random selection and you turn the volume up for a quiet track only to be blasted by a loud one following it. Some rippers and many music player/management tools (e.g. foobar2000) can analyse a track (and a whole album) and note its average and peak loudness. The results can be stored in tags on the file. If you have Volume adjustment set to off on the SB it will ignore these tags (but have no effect on the volume controls). You can, however, set Volume Adjustment to "track" which means that the volume of the playing track is adjusted up or down based on its replay gain tags so that everything has the same average volume. You can also set this to album (uses the album tag but relative volume of tracks from the same album is maintained) or "smart" which will guess whether you are playing individual tracks (and use track gain) or tracks from an album if there are a number from the same album consecutively (and use album gain).

Hope that makes some sense.
Thanks for the information. So from what you are saying I gather that the volume control which was set at 50 before I moved it to 100 refers to a normal volume control - the same type of control that I would find on my av receiver or on a table radio. By moving it up to 100 am I basically just passing through the signal to my receiver? What I am wondering is if using the control on the SB3 can have a negative effect on the quality of the sound. I find your volume adjustment explanation very interesting. Would using it have any potental impact on the sound quality?

gorman
2008-02-15, 05:16
Hi

Thanks.If you do not have substantial reasons to upgrade (ie. features you need in SC7), I suggest you remain with what works for you.

Furthermore, asking for advice on software still in beta form (if I'm not mistaken) it's really a double edged sword. If you upgrade and then have problems? Would you come back here angered at whoever suggested you to upgrade? :)

alstein
2008-02-15, 05:55
If you do not have substantial reasons to upgrade (ie. features you need in SC7), I suggest you remain with what works for you.

Furthermore, asking for advice on software still in beta form (if I'm not mistaken) it's really a double edged sword. If you upgrade and then have problems? Would you come back here angered at whoever suggested you to upgrade? :)

Thanks for your suggestion. I did, in fact, upgrade to SC7 yesterday and everything went fine other than an intital problem with installing the Sirius plugin which was resolved with the help of some other forum members. I uinderstood the risk, and was prepared to roll back to the earlier version if necessary. But I just couldn't leave well enough alone!! <G>

Skunk
2008-02-15, 06:42
By moving it up to 100 am I basically just passing through the signal to my receiver? What I am wondering is if using the control on the SB3 can have a negative effect on the quality of the sound. I find your volume adjustment explanation very interesting. Would using it have any potental impact on the sound quality?

For true pass through of specially encoded digital streams (e.g. HDCD or DTS), yes you need to have the volume at 100, AND have replay gain turned off. If you're not trying to pass a specially encoded signal (99% of tracks for most people), then you probably won't notice a decrease in sound quality from using the digital volume control or replay gain. It's considered good practice to keep digital volume controls as close to max as possible though, due to the potential for a software glitch and the loss of signal to noise ratio.

Ps-
The volume settings may be more clear from the web interface (Players>Audio), if you were using the Sb3 to adjust settings before.

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-15, 09:09
You should uninstall all previous versions and do a clean install of 7.0.

I believe 7.0 copies old preferences then uninstalls the old version so this shouldn't be necessary.

rydenfan
2008-02-15, 09:16
Where would I find version 7? Is it available for a Mac yet?

radish
2008-02-15, 09:32
Where would I find version 7? Is it available for a Mac yet?

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/

You'll need the DMG file for Mac. Usual disclaimer - this is unreleased software, no warranty, use at your own risk, blah blah blah :)