PDA

View Full Version : Set volume sync using Jive?

smc2911
2008-02-13, 22:14
Well, having worked through my wifi teething problems, I've had a chance to give the Duet a bit of a workout (more to come on the weekend!). Post config, the experience has been excellent. It's also been a good opportunity to try out synching, which I haven't really done before. I do have a couple of (pretty minor) questions on this topic:

1. I like the fact that you can sync the volume control as well as the playback, which saves switching between players on the Jive. I turned on this setting via the WebUI, but couldn't find a way to do it on the Jive (I found playback sync but not volume sync there). Is there any way to do this?

2. This question is probably just reflective of my inexperience with sync, but if I have two players playing out of sync and have the Jive connected to, say, Player A and select "sync", I was expecting Player A to start playing what B was playing whereas in fact the result was the other way around. Is that the expected behaviour?

Anyway, more fun to be had on the weekend...

smc2911
2008-02-17, 22:49
2. This question is probably just reflective of my inexperience with sync, but if I have two players playing out of sync and have the Jive connected to, say, Player A and select "sync", I was expecting Player A to start playing what B was playing whereas in fact the result was the other way around. Is that the expected behaviour?Although I didn't manage to find the sync volume setting on the Jive, I have discovered that if you set sync volume on the web ui, this setting is retained when turning sync playing on/off, which means that I'm not really missing the volume setting too much.

smc2911
2008-02-18, 01:53
I've been playing around with this a bit more and would like to clarify a few points. Are the following statements correct (assuming that I have two players, A and B, connected to the same music source):

1. Synchronize is symmetric: if I set player A to synchronize to B then the result will be the same as setting B to synchronize to A.
2. The one qualification to 1. is that if I set A to synch to B, then the B's current playlist (if any) will be cleared and replaced with A's playlist.
3. Synchronize volume is not symmetric: synchronizing A to B has different behaviour from synchronizing B to A.
4. If A is set to synchronize volume to B then on the web UI, A's volume controller is locked, while changing the volume on B through the web UI changes A's volume as well.
5. If A is set to synchronize volume to B then on then if the SBC is set to control A, changing volume will change A's volume only, while connecting the controller to B and changing volume will change both players.

This certainly seems to be the currently behaviour of my system. Since it is not always immediately obvious when picking up the SBC which player it is controlling, I have found this behaviour a little confusing. Anyone else have a view?

smc2911
2008-03-04, 04:36
No one have any thoughts on this one?

ModelCitizen
2008-03-04, 08:04
I don't have any comment on your main question apart from the fact that I have been suprised when I've used sync to find that the sync of players appeared to be the wrong way round, i.e. I expected A to have been synced to B but found that it was B that was synced to A. This was quite a while ago though so things may have changed since then.

Triode once noted that if you assigned a different wallpaper to each player it was immediately obvious which one the controller was controlling. Top tip, I thought.

MC

smc2911
2008-03-04, 15:19
Triode once noted that if you assigned a different wallpaper to each player it was immediately obvious which one the controller was controlling. Top tip, I thought.Now that's an excellent tip. I'll be trying that one, thanks!

Zevs
2008-03-22, 23:27
Triode once noted that if you assigned a different wallpaper to each player it was immediately obvious which one the controller was controlling. Top tip, I thought. MC

Yes that is a smart tip, makes it easier to remember. Thanks! And yes smc2911 the synch feature is not easy to figure out when concerning volume! I'm sure struggling with my new SBC to get that right

smc2911
2008-03-23, 00:12
And yes smc2911 the synch feature is not easy to figure out when concerning volume! I'm sure struggling with my new SBC to get that rightI've found that using the Settings page on the webUI is the best way to get sync all working.