PDA

View Full Version : Server finding one album per song (NOT in separate directories)

hypatia
2008-02-13, 22:06
I rescanned my library recently (new and updated search only, I don't like to completely rescan as it deletes the playlists). Now all albums with disc number metadata are being identified as being a separate album for every song.

For example:

$ ls
01 - Gamble Everything For Love.ogg
02 - Baby Blue.ogg
03 - Ten Days.ogg
04 - Cherry Blossom Girl.ogg
05 - Simple Things.ogg
06 - Black Cherry.ogg
07 - Teardrop.ogg

[etc: they are all in the same directory]

Here's the metadata on the first two files:

$ vorbiscomment 01\ -\ Gamble\ Everything\ For\ Love.ogg
TITLE=Gamble Everything For Love
ARTIST=Ben Lee
ALBUM=Alternative Love Songs
DISCNUMBER=1
DATE=2005
TRACKNUMBER=01
TRACKTOTAL=18
GENRE=Alternative
MUSICBRAINZ_SORTNAME=Various
DISCID=f1112e12
MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID=ybPkTGvyUVCB9QZbZq92eS4Csvs-

$ vorbiscomment 02\ -\ Baby\ Blue.ogg
TITLE=Baby Blue
ARTIST=Little Birdy
ALBUM=Alternative Love Songs
DISCNUMBER=1
DATE=2005
TRACKNUMBER=02
TRACKTOTAL=18
GENRE=Alternative
MUSICBRAINZ_SORTNAME=Various
DISCID=f1112e12
MUSICBRAINZ_DISCID=ybPkTGvyUVCB9QZbZq92eS4Csvs-

As best I can tell, these two files (and the others) should be regarded by SlimServer as being in the same album since the files are in the same directory and the ALBUM and DISCNUMBER values are identical. And before a rescan, they were regarded as a single album. Now they aren't: they and ALL other songs with a DISCNUMBER value are regarded as being one song albums.

Is this a known problem and is there a fix or workaround?

My version is "SlimServer Version: 6.5.4 - 12568 - Debian - EN - utf8"

smc2911
2008-02-13, 22:24
Is this happening for all multi-disc CDs or only those with Various Artists? If the latter, what settings have you got for grouping/ungrouping compilations?

ceejay
2008-02-14, 01:23
Just to add to SMCs comment - try adding COMPILATION=1 on these tracks.

Separately - I'm intrigued by the comment about not doing a full scan because it deletes playlists - that definitely should not be happening, could you say more? Do you mean the current playlist on each player - if so you can/should just save it if you want to keep it. Your fixed playlists stored in the playlists directory aren't affected, surely?

HTH

hypatia
2008-02-14, 15:59
Is this happening for all multi-disc CDs or only those with Various Artists? If the latter, what settings have you got for grouping/ungrouping compilations?

It's not a compilation problem: it has happened to a set of files where the entire album is by Depeche Mode. Do either of you still suggest setting COMPILATION=1?

hypatia
2008-02-14, 16:07
Separately - I'm intrigued by the comment about not doing a full scan because it deletes playlists - that definitely should not be happening, could you say more?

I go to Server Settings, and select "Clear library and rescan everything". My "Playlists folder" immediately has all .m3u files in it deleted.

This seems to have been an ownership problem. The .m3u files weren't owned by the "slimserver" user, and for whatever reason the server's solution is to delete them entirely.

hypatia
2008-02-14, 16:08
Incidently, the "Clear library" rescan has corrected the original problem with the albums: they now appear as a single album again. I assume there must be a bug somewhere with "Look for new and updated" rescans, if I manage to replicate it the next time I do that scan I'll post again.

ceejay
2008-02-14, 16:18
That behaviour sounds very odd. Unless the playlists folder is within the cache folder perhaps??

Before spending any more time troubleshooting this, you might want to try a 7.0 download - there are a lot of changes, and there won't be any more bugfixes to the 6.5 branch AFAIK.

HTH

hypatia
2008-02-15, 00:53
Before spending any more time troubleshooting this, you might want to try a 7.0 download - there are a lot of changes, and there won't be any more bugfixes to the 6.5 branch AFAIK.

Thanks. I have a slight preference for using released software, but it sounds like 7.0 will be out soon and I'm looking forward to using it.