PDA

View Full Version : Surprise!

Honva
2008-02-13, 11:58
I bought the SB3 about 4 weeks ago. Spent some time to configure everything....finding the perfect spot, connect to hi-fi, hiding wires, set-up server, config library, wake-on-lan, harmony remote, favourites, plug-ins, etc...

After 3 weeks, everything is finally set-up perfectly. I had then showed my wife once (in about 60 seconds) how to use the thing with the harmony remote. Realising that she is "techno-phobia", I have little hope that she will be able to use it or will use it.

Came home last weekend it really surprised me. She was listening to internet radio with the SB3, switching channels and later on plays musics from the library.

I think it does prove one thing. Although the setting up and configuration of the slimdevice is a bit more complex due to the large number of configuration options, plugins and settings, the user interface in fact is very simple and user friendly. Once set-up properly, even a non-geek like my wife is not afraid to give it a try.

This is completely out of my expectation! Just the fact that she is feeling comfortable using it would justify buying another one for the bedroom.

(Of course, this is also partly because of the Harmony remote control which automatically switch everything on and set my receiver to the correct input.)

snarlydwarf
2008-02-13, 12:01
You trusted a female with the remote?

Get it back, or you will never listen to decent music again.

(You figure out where smilies go, I'm lazy.)

Phil Leigh
2008-02-13, 12:05
Hooray - you win the "happy user" award!
Your post comes as such a relief - it warms my heart.
Since you have just been on a 3-week crash course on how to configure everything perfectly, would you mind helping some of the newbies out...

Me and my friends are a bit tired...

(sincerely - well done and congratulations)

maggior
2008-02-13, 12:16
Came home last weekend it really surprised me. She was listening to internet radio with the SB3, switching channels and later on plays musics from the library.

I had a similar experience. My wife uses the squeezebox all of the time. She even now builds up playlists to randomize music for our kids to listen to in the afternoon. Though, if she was responsible for the backend stuff like configuration, CD ripping and tagging, etc., we would still be using CDs :-).

There was a thread a year ago or so discussing how one's partners or signficant others got on with the SB. If I remember correctly, many share the experience that you describe.

Good to hear about somebody's positive experience!

pfarrell
2008-02-13, 12:22
maggior wrote:
> I had a similar experience. My wife uses the squeezebox all of the
> time.

Same here. My wife uses it all the time. She made me buy one for my
college aged kid.

She likes it so much she let me buy a Transporter.

She still doesn't love the look of my Sonus Faber speakers.

But the SqueezeBoxen get WAF.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

SlimPvC
2008-02-13, 13:10
But the SqueezeBoxen get WAF.
Pat Farrell

I guess that an acronym of something, otherwise known as 'Spousal Consent'?

I wish I could afford a transporter too, but I'm very happy with my SB2 for now. Best audio device I ever got.

Peter
http://www.vancooten.com/

pfarrell
2008-02-13, 13:21
SlimPvC wrote:
>> But the SqueezeBoxen get WAF.
>
> I guess that an acronym of something, otherwise known as 'Spousal
> Consent'?

Yes, Wife Approval Factor.

Sadly, most of the folks spending money on HiFi gear are guys.
So you have to buy stuff with good WAF or sleep in the tub.

MuckleEck
2008-02-13, 14:44
Hi....I am glad that we have good news reported...WAF approval as well...mine has started using the kitchen version...although as posted before I still do the ripping/tagging etc...

As an aside the wife is waiting to see the controller.....

Honva
2008-02-13, 17:25
Hooray - you win the "happy user" award!
Your post comes as such a relief - it warms my heart.
Since you have just been on a 3-week crash course on how to configure everything perfectly, would you mind helping some of the newbies out...

Me and my friends are a bit tired...

(sincerely - well done and congratulations)

Hi Phil,
I used the word "perfect" just in the context of my situation. My set-up is relatively simple and straight forward compared to a lot of other people here.
Wireless SB3 connected to Yamaha Receiver with digital out.
SqueezeCentre on Windows XP box (AMD3600x2 and ASUS M2A-HDMI).
(Thought about a small NAS but did not go that way.) Computer set to sleep (STR) when not in use. After changing the poewr supply, my computer is fairly efficient. 45w while serving and 1.5w when sleeping. Waking up takes ~20s.
CDs are in flac. (No iTunn or other stuff)

I have to say Logitech staff in these forums are very helpful. I got answers from them here very fast. They helped me on a lot of things in these few weeks like sorting out unicode problem, album art display, chinese display clipping, wake-on-lan questions etc. I am glad that I picked the SB3 rather than the Roku. The SB3 has continuous improvements every day. In the last 3 weeks, there were already a lot of improvements compared to the day I bought it.

Biu

gw43
2008-02-14, 06:38
I have to agree with the OP regarding the ease with which my missus has taken to using the Squeezebox.

She has always been comfortable with the other hifi gear (apart from the space it took up), so it was not unexpected that she would take to the Squeezebox, but acceptance of such a device can pave the way for other "improvements" and "initiatives" as yet unspecified!