PDA

View Full Version : How should I set this up?

Dean100
2008-02-12, 18:41
Have placed my pre order for Duet and am trying to figure out the best setup for my wireless network.

Presently the cable modem and router are on the lower level of my house. Computer and stereo are on the upper level. I am getting good signal strength at the computer. The Duet would go about 15 feet from the computer. Because this is an old house, I am limited to where I can place the modem and router. It cannot be connected on the upper level to the computer without extensive wiring being done. However, I could place the modem and router at the the stereo location.

Should I and can I place the modem and router at the stereo and wire the receiver directly to the router? I can do this with minimal wiring and will this be beneficial?

bigfool1956
2008-02-12, 18:53
Signal strength is a big factor when streaming music. As you have the opportunity to wire the SBR direct to your router, then that is definitely your best option, because it saves all the wifi hassles that sometimes ensue.

If your computer is a desktop, consider using homeplugs to wire it to the router.

Dean100
2008-02-12, 19:07
Thanks for the reply David.

Yeah the computer is a desktop PC, running windows XP. Are "homeplugs" the device that runs over your electrical wires?

MuckleEck
2008-02-13, 02:32
. Are "homeplugs" the device that runs over your electrical wires?

In a word Yes.

smc2911
2008-02-13, 02:55
I recently posted a similar query which drew quite a few responses: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42981

I ended up getting hold of a second router and running a cable from the upstairs router to the second router downstairs. To get the SBR working I then had to connect the routers LAN <--> LAN (originally I had them WAN <--> LAN) and turn off the DHCP server on the second router, thereby ensuring both wireless routers were on the same sub-net (more details here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43346). Anyway, my wifi reception downstairs is now excellent and the Duet set-up is fantastic.

I didn't go for the homeplugs as (down-under at least) they are much more expensive than a second wifi router.