PDA

View Full Version : Music on 2 different Harddisks

Nullerbasse
2008-02-12, 14:54
Hi All.
How do i get Slim Center to find the music stored in a map om a second drive on my computer??

I can only specify 1 map in SC

N.

PLynas
2008-02-12, 15:23
Not sure if this works on Squeezecenter but it worked on Slimserver.

If your main music folder is in C:\Music

And you also have music stored in D:\Music

Then simply create a shortcut to D:\Music and place it in C:\Music

Fingers crossed that should help.

Nullerbasse
2008-02-12, 22:17
Hmmm.
Thats how i tried it - did not work!!

N.

ModelCitizen
2008-02-12, 23:12
If it's a local drive and you did the shortcut correctly it should work. If it's a newtork drive then you need to make sure that the SC service is running under an account that has network privileges (i.e. not the default local system account), and it's generally best to use a UNC path (i.e \\mycomputer\mydrive\) in the shortcut, rather than using a mapped drive path.

I have asssumed Windows and Slimserver 6.5.*

MC

Nullerbasse
2008-02-13, 00:03
Well, I'm running Slim Center 7.0 - 12.02.2008

I have my music folder: ( in this case: E\music )

Inside this folder i have a shortcut: ( c\Music2 )

Everything is according to the way Slim devices wrote in the short manual that came with the Squeezebox3.

Both drives is shared on the network.

hmmmmmmmmm.

Frustration is sneakin' in :-(

N.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-13, 00:31
What operating system are you using and how did you create the shortcut?

Try this:

1) create a new folder C:\MUSICPATH
2) in the folder C:\MUSICPATH create two shortcuts.
one to E:\MUSIC
one to C:\MUSIC2
3) Set SC to use C:\MUSICPATH
4) delete any shortcuts you have in E:\MUSIC

stevek1006
2008-02-13, 06:55
Well, I'm running Slim Center 7.0 - 12.02.2008

I have my music folder: ( in this case: E\music )

Inside this folder i have a shortcut: ( c\Music2 )

Everything is according to the way Slim devices wrote in the short manual that came with the Squeezebox3.

Both drives is shared on the network.

N.

This works fine for me in SC 7.0. If this is a Windows machine then you need colons after the drive letter (e.g., E:\music).

stevek1006
2008-02-13, 07:03
This works fine for me in SC 7.0. If this is a Windows machine then you need colons after the drive letter (e.g., E:\music).

I should have added, that if they are networked drives not attached to the computer running SC, then they should be referred to as \\networked_computer\shared_folder (e.g., \\fileserver\music2). Again this is assuming Windows. You can see the way windows wants to the folder by looking in "My Network Places". If it is not listed, then the folder is not being shared.

bobkoure
2008-02-13, 08:36
If the PC that has the actual music files is running some flavor of windows NT (2000, 2003, XP) there are hidden "autoshares"
If you have music on machine foo in directory c:\music, you can refer to it as \\foo\c$\music.

SqueezeCenter still needs to have "permissions" to read that directory. You can either setup c:\music on foo so that the group "guests" has read permission, or, if you are running SC as, say, user "sc", then there also needs to be a user "sc" on foo - and the passwords need to be the same in both places.

As mentioned before, if running as a service, you cannot run as the local system account (the one you get if you click "run as service" without entering a username and password) - that account isn't permitted to use network resources.
To see what SC is "running as", go to the services manager, go down to "Squeeze Center" and click the "login" tab. You can change it right there, too...

If you are not running windows on the machine that holds your music, please mention it as there are potential samba issues (and likely OS/X ones, too).

Phil Leigh
2008-02-13, 09:13
If the PC that has the actual music files is running some flavor of windows NT (2000, 2003, XP) there are hidden "autoshares"
If you have music on machine foo in directory c:\music, you can refer to it as \\foo\c$\music.

SqueezeCenter still needs to have "permissions" to read that directory. You can either setup c:\music on foo so that the group "guests" has read permission, or, if you are running SC as, say, user "sc", then there also needs to be a user "sc" on foo - and the passwords need to be the same in both places.

As mentioned before, if running as a service, you cannot run as the local system account (the one you get if you click "run as service" without entering a username and password) - that account isn't permitted to use network resources.
To see what SC is "running as", go to the services manager, go down to "Squeeze Center" and click the "login" tab. You can change it right there, too...

If you are not running windows on the machine that holds your music, please mention it as there are potential samba issues (and likely OS/X ones, too).

The OP's problem is accessing a second drive (e:\) on his one computer...there's no network involved AFAIk and no need to worry about shares etc.

Shortcuts should fix his problem.

vinnielo
2008-02-13, 13:22
Has the Original Poster tried rescanning after creating the shortcut?

Kuben72
2008-02-13, 14:33
I have a similar problem. I have two disks on my freenas but I can't get slimserver to access both of them. Anyone who knows how this is done?

/Kuben72