PDA

View Full Version : Browse internet music folders

venus light
2008-02-12, 14:44
If there is a website that has folders of mp3s with m3u files, is there a way for me to browse through them and play them using my SB3 interface? Or even my SS web interface?

What about if there is an online folder of m3u files - could I browse and play them?

Is there any way for me to make this work?

Thanks, in advance, as always, for any help anyone can provide.

funkstar
2008-02-13, 02:10
There is no way that I know of to point SS at a FTP or web site wil music on it directly.

However, have a look at MP3Tunes. They provide a music locker service that works with SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCenter and lets you store your music online. It is accessable anywhere online too.

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_mp3tunes.html

danco
2008-02-13, 05:17
You could browse them in a web browser, play them on your computer, and use a program that broadcasts computer sound.

Details depend on your OS.

venus light
2008-02-13, 06:08
Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, neither of those options are really what I am looking for.

I know that if I download the m3u files from this site and place them in my playlists folder, when I play the playlist, it streams from the site. It's a functional solution, but I was hoping there might be a little more user friendly way to do it. Ideally, I would like to be able to set it up similar to how the live music archive is set up with regards my SB.

mherger
2008-02-13, 06:41
> I know that if I download the m3u files from this site and place them
> in my playlists folder, when I play the playlist, it streams from the
> site.

It then should probably work with SC as well. Why don't you just try it?

--

Michael

radish
2008-02-13, 06:52
If you have control over this site and can add some RSS feeds you could use the podcast plugin.

venus light
2008-02-13, 07:12
> I know that if I download the m3u files from this site and place them
> in my playlists folder, when I play the playlist, it streams from the
> site.

It then should probably work with SC as well. Why don't you just try it?

--

Michael

It will work - I just would like to be able to browse all of the m3u's without having to download them all and have my playlist folder be so overloaded.

If you have control over this site and can add some RSS feeds you could use the podcast plugin.

So I could set up a RSS feed with all of the m3u files?

radish
2008-02-13, 07:23
So I could set up a RSS feed with all of the m3u files?

That you'd have to try, no idea if it would work. But you could certainly have an RSS which lists all the mp3s directly and they should play - that's all a podcast is.

Another option would be to run a upnp server on the box in question and then use the built in upnp browser in SC/SS to play from it. That depends of course on whether you can install the server but there are some pretty light weight ones, looks like even some in perl and other scripting languages which should run on pretty much anything.

venus light
2008-02-13, 07:42
That you'd have to try, no idea if it would work. But you could certainly have an RSS which lists all the mp3s directly and they should play - that's all a podcast is.

Another option would be to run a upnp server on the box in question and then use the built in upnp browser in SC/SS to play from it. That depends of course on whether you can install the server but there are some pretty light weight ones, looks like even some in perl and other scripting languages which should run on pretty much anything.

Well, there are 100s of folders on this site with 15+ songs in each. So the ideal solution would be one where I could browse the folders (or playlists) and be able to pick which one to listen to. It seems like setting up a podcast might be the most desirable solution.

tommypeters
2008-03-13, 08:15
Did you get any further?