PDA

View Full Version : Help please - NOT a wireless problem

PLynas
2008-02-12, 04:11
I am having a problem with my Squeezebox V3, but I would just like to start by saying that I read these forums regularly and that my problem is definitely not a problem with my wireless network.

I installed Squeezecenter a couple of weeks ago and was having problems with the sound dropping out at random points. I would then have to restart the song or go onto a new one to restore any sound.

Yesterday I decided to load the latest version of Squeezecenter (dated 11th Feb). Now, every single song stutters very badly 9but does not stop) for the first 20 seconds or so and then plays perfectly normally.

In addition to this, the Squeezecenter window on my PC cannot keep up with what is actually playing and is badly out of sync. Also, when I try to use Squeezecenter it is extremely slow to respond, and this sometimes applys to my remote control aswell. I do not wish to be one of the angry posters, but it seems that the performance of my Squeezeboxes has been going downhill over the last 6 months....

I am now at a loss as I have preordered the new controller and am therefore relying on using Squeezecenter as opposed to Slimserver.

Does anybody have any ideas?? It seems to me that the problem is with Squeezecenter but I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

smc2911
2008-02-12, 04:41
Can you post a bit of info about your set-up, such as your operating system, which version of SlimServer/SqueezeCenter you are running, etc?

smc2911
2008-02-12, 04:41
Sorry, saw you've got the SC version posted. Are you on Windows?

Phil Leigh
2008-02-12, 04:42
Can I just ask - before we get started on diagnosing the problem - how you know it's not the wi-fi? - have you wired the sb to the router and tested that? If not you don't have a 100% method of eliminating the network.

bpa
2008-02-12, 05:11
For an alternative point of view.

What browser are you using ? If you are using Firefox - some Firefox plugins (esp but not exclusively web development types ) seems to interact with Firefox resulting in CPU usage of 100% (or 50% in a dual core system) and very sluggish WebUI.

smc2911
2008-02-12, 05:14
Can I just ask - before we get started on diagnosing the problem - how you know it's not the wi-fi? - have you wired the sb to the router and tested that? If not you don't have a 100% method of eliminating the network.In this vein, I had some problem quite a while ago and NetStumbler revealed that a neighbour had just installed a new wifi router on the same channel as mine and changing my channel sorted me out.

I know you said wifi wasn't the problem, but so often it is and it'd be good to understand why you've ruled it out (a good answer would be that you are using cable not wifi!).

PLynas
2008-02-12, 05:19
Hi I am running Windows XP, using MS Internet Explorer.

Wireless network using a BT (UK) Router. Should have said (sorry) I have 3 Squeezeboxes as follows:

Squeezebox V1, not wireless as such, connected using Homeplug.
Squeezebox V2, wireless, signal strength about 65%
Squeezebox V3, wireless, signal strength about 55%.

I have not tested the two wireless one wired recently, but have had this setup for a long, long time and the only changes are in the software, not in the wireless setup. I live in a detached house with decent grounds so although there is always a chance of wireless interference, it is minimised in my case.

It is likely that the problem will not occur if I try my squeezebox wired, but I am guessing that things are just running more slowly for some reason. I have only just thought really, I have set up the server with a browser refresh timing of 300 seconds. I have always had it like this, as it more often than not, means that it will refresh at the start of each new song. Not sure if something is getting overloaded at the song start when the browser is refreshing?? Just guessing really.

Thanks for the quick responses.

bpa
2008-02-12, 05:30
First upgrade to latest SC7 - there have been lots of changes in WebUI and it is best to separate WebUI problems from possible network.

Which skin are you using default, classic or other ?
What version of Internet Explorer ?
What spec is the PC - processor and memory
What security s/w are you using ?

PLynas
2008-02-12, 05:41
I am on the latest version of SC7 now.
Using the Fishbone skin (is it still called that?)
Internet Explorer version 6
PC Processor AMD Athlon 3700+ 2.20 GHZ
PC memory 1.00 GHZ
Security Software - McAfee Security Center, Zone Alarm (everything SC related allowed through), Firewall on router, MAC address filtering.

bpa
2008-02-12, 05:58
There used to be odd problems with IE6 with SC7 as its implementation of Javascript seems to be very picky so using IE7 or Firefox even just to debug the stuttering problem would eliminate one known problem area.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-12, 06:40
Seconded - suggest upgrade to IE 7 before proceeding further.
I've seen some odd behaviour with the BT ADSL routers (I don't use one but I have a friend that does). It is possible this is the cause...

As I said before, if the problem goes away when wired (through the router) that would point to wi-fi issues.
I see you have a lot of security layers in play. With MAC filtering (and presumably NAT in the router) you might want to try turning off mcAfee and see what happens...

PLynas
2008-02-12, 08:28
Thanks for the fast responses everyone.

I tried updating to IE7, but that made no difference unfortunately.

Never been 100% happy with my BT router, but changing that would have been a last resort.

However, I uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus, and suddenly everything was fine. The reasons why are beyond me to be honest, but it worked so thanks for the suggestions.

m1abrams
2008-02-12, 09:15
Thanks for the fast responses everyone.

I tried updating to IE7, but that made no difference unfortunately.

Never been 100% happy with my BT router, but changing that would have been a last resort.

However, I uninstalled McAfee AntiVirus, and suddenly everything was fine. The reasons why are beyond me to be honest, but it worked so thanks for the suggestions.

Actually they are not too hard to figure out why. McAfree was probably putting an extra load on the server that prevented it from streaming the data in a timely manner to keep the buffer of the SB full.

This could have been either a CPU load or an I/O load on the disk drive. Most likely an I/O load making difficult for SC to get enough throughput on the disk. One reason why many have a dedicated server machine for SC is because timing issues can be problematic.