PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with waking and sleeping

darius
2008-02-11, 18:28
I have two SB3's connected wirelessly to my network. A wired PC runs Slimserver 6.5.2. Both boxes run FW version 81. Not sure if this is relevant, but both boxes are set to display SuperDateTime on their displays when off.

Periodically, I will find that one of my Squeezeboxes (and always the same one, by the way) has a blank display. Most of the time, I can fix this by hitting the right arrow on the remote, and see "waking slimserver," "connecting to slimserver" and then all will be well -- it returns to my SuperDateTime screen. Other times, it says, "connecting to slimserver," and then goes blank again. In this case, I can't wake it with the remote no matter how many times I try. However, if that happens, I can power it on directly from the slimserver interface on my PC, and all is then well.

In the meantime, my other squeezebox doesn't seem to have this problem.

At first, I thought this was an issue of wireless signal strength to the one box, so I bought an external antenna for my router -- slimserver shows signal strength consistently above 60% for both boxes, which I *thought* was sufficient. But I still have the same problem.

I don't want my squeezeboxes to ever go to sleep. And, I could be wrong here, but I believe my PC is not going to sleep. At least, it's never asleep when i see the blank display, but I can't rule out that it went to sleep and woke up before I saw the blank display.

Any idea as to whether I have an incorrect setting (or settings) on my boxes, my slimserver, or my PC?

Thanks very much.

danco
2008-02-12, 02:00
I have a similar issue quite frequently.

I don't think it has ever occurred when my computer (iMac) is on, but only if it has gone to sleep and then woken up.

I have always assumed that the wireless connection is off somehow, but your experience with two SBs suggests it is the SB.

Anyway, one thing to try is to press and hold the Power button (for quite a few seconds). This puts you in the setup menu. Don't go through the setup process, but press Up to get an option to connect to your server. Pressing Right goes through the process of connecting to the wireless network and then to the server.

This always seems to work for me.

I recently tried another suggestion, press and hold Left. This appeared to produce the same option "Connect to server" as what I have suggested, but immediately gave the "waking up server", "connecting to server" messages and then went black again. I tried this several times. This approach did not give the "connecting to network" and related messages.

hunta
2008-02-12, 06:34
I had a similar problem with one of my two SB3's dropping out. I found that assigning static IP addresses to the players solved it.

Hope this helps.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-12, 06:46
IMHO an awful lot of user issues could be addressed by using a static IP (for both SB and Server) as the default installation method.
I know people want to get up and running quickly and DHCP can get you there, but domestic (router driven) DHCP is not as stable as commercial DHCP IMHO and can cause all sorts of issues from annoying to showstopping.

oktup
2008-02-12, 07:49
IMHO an awful lot of user issues could be addressed by using a static IP (for both SB and Server) as the default installation method.
I know people want to get up and running quickly and DHCP can get you there, but domestic (router driven) DHCP is not as stable as commercial DHCP IMHO and can cause all sorts of issues from annoying to showstopping.

Agree with that. I changed from DHCP to static after a couple of months, which definitely helped remove the occasional quirky moment. I also went from using Wake-on-lan to just leaving my server on all the time - still haven't really decided whether that's justified overall, but with that too, the SBs are now pretty much rock solid. As long as I don't dabble with internet radio, which tends to cause 'interesting' things to happen.

darius
2008-02-12, 10:03
Thanks for all the replies.

I've used static IP addressing on both my SB's for about 2 months now, in response to some of the info I've seen posted on this board. But, every other day or so, the one SB has a blank display and needs to be "awakened."

I also have set my PC never to stand by or hibernate. No help there either.

Maybe it's possessed.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-12, 10:11
As an experiment, swap the sb's over and see if the sleeping moves or not - if not then its a wi-fi issue, if yes then...dunno

darius
2008-02-12, 11:10
Good idea. I'll give that a try.

Thanks.