PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Networking Issues: Please participate

mik63
2008-02-11, 15:54
I would like to ask anybody that still has one of the following 2 issues or similar, to add his/her comments to this thread:

1) SB3 reboot/crash problems in the middle of a song
2) SB3 stuttering even with buffer full and over 80% Wireless signal

I am trying to have Logitech to acknowledge they may have an issue in this area and properly investigate.

cjhabs
2008-02-11, 16:08
I would like to ask anybody that still has one of the following 2 issues or similar, to add his/her comments to this thread:

I am trying to have Logitech to acknowledge they may have an issue in this area and properly investigate.

I have had problem #1 3 times in the past week - the last time I could not get the SB3 to connect to SS after power cycling a number of times. It burst back into life after leaving it overnight. I believe the problem was connecting to SS, it connected to the wireless network with no problem. The SS server was having no network issues.
It drops off in the middle of a song.
SB3 F/W 81, SS 6.5.4 XP

I have had #2 many times but believe that it has been caused by wireless network interference from nearby networks or by the SS server being overloaded (ripping CDs and browsing the web).

I do feel that #1 is a real - albeit sporadic - problem.

Habs

cjhabs
2008-02-11, 18:00
I have had problem #1 3 times in the past week - the last time I could not get the SB3 to connect to SS after power cycling a number of times. It burst back into life after leaving it overnight. I believe the problem was connecting to SS, it connected to the wireless network with no problem. The SS server was having no network issues.
It drops off in the middle of a song.
SB3 F/W 81, SS 6.5.4 XP

I have had #2 many times but believe that it has been caused by wireless network interference from nearby networks or by the SS server being overloaded (ripping CDs and browsing the web).

I do feel that #1 is a real - albeit sporadic - problem.

Habs

I need to take back some of what I said.
I got home and the SB3 had lost connecton - all other devices were OK.
The problem was not connecting to the SS, it was connecting to the wireless network - as I couldn't connect to Squeeze network either.
Unplugging the SB3 and re-plugging allowed it to connect first time.

I also noticed that I had print jobs sitting in the queue of my SS server - which leads me to believe that something happened to the wireless network at some point. The laptop and repeater recovered but the SB3 did not.

Also, after reconnecting, the SB3 was stuttering a lot then dropped the connection again. Again I couldn;t reconnect until I unplugged - but this time it connected to the network, but couldn;t connect to the SS, (the SS server still had connectivity). I could play Squeeze network but not SS.

So,at this point I did a factory reset on SB3 and when it came to connecting to a SS or Sq network, it recognized my SS on anotehr PC but not my live SS. Once I entered the IP of the live server it all started working again.

I did not touch the SS server so the problem looks like its to do with the SB3.

Hope this long winded description helps identify the possible problem.

iPhone
2008-02-11, 21:04

I was having both of these problems and more with my SB3. My SB3 would play for 30 seconds and stop. Then the song would start over and play for 20 seconds then stop. After several stops, starts, and stops, the player would either reboot or show playing on the GUI but no audio.

So, I bought a new Linksys WRT300N and after installing it, all my problems went away. Not bad mouthing D-Link (because it served me well for 5 years), but it must have been the source of my troubles. I have not had a single issue since the Linksys has been installed.

So my questions would be: What equipment are you using? What addressing are you using? Do some or all the issues disappear if you Ethernet your SB3?

I really think a bunch of these problems are specific to the homeownwer's network. I was even having some trouble using my Transporter wirelessly with the D-Link and there were only 5 vertical shelves between them.

shake-the-disease
2008-02-11, 21:21
Do those problems persist if you connect the SB3 by ethernet? They just read suspiciously like wireless network issues to me, regardless of what a snapshot of the signal strength is.

peejay
2008-02-11, 22:50
1) I'd do a network performance test - up the rates until something breaks and report back.
2) Change you wireless modem/router channel to something *NOT* the default for your region. At least 2-3 Channels away from the default. Interference can be annoying and produce intermittent interruptions to playback.
3) Try it with a cable if you can, to verify it is the wireless network - as suggested above.
4) What are you playing (flac, mp3, aac etc)? There is a known issue using some flac encoders which causes stutter. You may have to search the forums for 'stutter' to find this thread.

Good luck.

Siduhe
2008-02-12, 01:08
Also, do you have any special router features switched on, like QoS or speedburst? Once you've tried running wired (essential IMHO to rule out wireless interference), try switching these off. I have found (with a Belkin router) some QoS implementations can interfere with the smooth flow of packets that SS needs.

IainHar@aol.com
2008-02-12, 01:34
I have not had any issues with the former, but at the end of the year I
bought a new I mac and since using this as my music source, I am experiencing sound
drop out. The wireless signal remains constant but the sound stops either for
2 seconds or 5 seconds (embarrassing when singing at the top of your voice).
I would add that I am running a second SB which is connected via ethernet and
experience no drop out whatsoever which suggests a wireless issue. When the
sound drops out; the song restarts from the point where it stopped which
suggests a streaming problem?

My next step was to try a set of the Mains networking kits to allow an
ethernet connection, but I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

Iain.

JimC
2008-02-12, 11:30

Have you reported your problems to our technical support team, either through email or phone? If they haven't solved the problem for you, your ticket should remain open and they should be actively working on replicating the problem and providing you advice on how to isolate and/or correct it.

If you have contacted technical support, you should have a ticket number that I can use to look up your records. If you'll provide that to me via private message, I'll follow-up with our technical support team and see what's going on. If you don't have the ticket number, you can provide me with your phone number and/or the email address you used.

-=> Jim