PDA

View Full Version : SBR or SB3

satnavstu
2008-02-10, 16:29
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy the SB3 or SBR, even though it's more expensive I'd prefer to go with the SB3s as like the display so looking at 2 x SB3s and 2 x Controllers.

Is there any functionality that exists in the (new) receiver which isn't in the SB3s or are there newer components inside the receiver which would make this a bad move? obviously the sb3 has been out for some time so I'm concerned I'm buying outdated technology.

Also, does the controller work with wake on lan, so that if I selected a tune and my slimserver had 'gone to sleep' it would wake it up?

Many Thanks
Stu

SuperQ
2008-02-10, 19:41
I don't know about WoL with the controller.

The hardware comparison page is a good place to start.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

Differences are very small. They SB3 and Receiver share the same basic CPU platform. The Receiver has a different DAC, but according to Sean they are nearly identical in performance.

The Receiver has an Auto MDIX ethernet port, so you don't need to worry about crossover cables if that matters.

I don't think the SB3 can do ad-hoc mode for the controller yet, but this is supposed to be software updated.

The only real thing I see is the Receiver is missing the headphone port if you want to use IR Blaster. The SB3 can do this.

The way I see it, except for the cost, they're about the same.

satnavstu
2008-02-11, 15:59
cheers SuperQ, thanks for the info