PDA

View Full Version : Should I build "mick_w" 's server or just buy an HP Pavilion?

GoodVibrations
2008-02-10, 13:07
Boy I just can't decide and would very much like an opinion or two.

Should I build this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=36430
http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-itx/index.htm

Or should I just buy this:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01301709&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#N285

My setup today is that I have another HP Pavilion which is used for my main desktop. Running Debian/Lenny.
I'm in the process of ripping my cd-collection (2500+), and don't want it on my desktop machine (I would like to boot/shutdown this when I want without killing of my musicserver. :-) And I don't want my HDD filled up with music.

So I want a dedicated server, running Squeezeserver, with a 1TB HDD.
I plan on using either Debian (which I'm familiar with) or maybe try out Clarkconnect.

It will have to be running most of the day (maybe 24/7/365).
It will be placed in my office, so the noice isn't so important (remember I already have one Pavilion running :-)
Powerconsumption... I don't really know. I have no idea what the cost is to have a Pavilion running 24h. And I don't know if I really care ;-)

I had originally planned on building "mick_w" 's server.
But I have checked the prices, and buying the aforementioned HP Pavillion is "only" a 23% priceincrease up from the DIY pc.

I think that I get a faster pc with the HP. Faster cpu, more ram, better graphics-card (dosen't really matter).
+ I get an optical drive. And there's more room for expansion. There's a drivebay for an extra HDD (for backups for instance.)
It'll be noisier and use more power for sure.

I'm really confused. What should I do? :-)

mudlark
2008-02-10, 13:38
My solution is a bigger box than Mick's.

The bigger box uses bog standard micro ATX parts, is very cheap very fast for slimserver and can use a good graphics card and tv tuner etc. the box is then capable of being a media server. standard atx psu standard memory standard DVd writer standard hdd or 2.5 hdd. best of both worlds.
m.

tyler_durden
2008-02-10, 15:27
I looked at his page and then came up with my own solution- I am using a similar mobo, but MUCH cheaper and higher performance:
http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4842001

Only $60- that's 1/3 the price of the CN10000 board and has faster version of same CPU. Uses a small fan- I can live with that.

I'm using old PS, case, and HDDs, so all I had to get was mobo and a 1 GB memory stick for total $84 with free shipping. I ordered today so expect results in a few days.

TD

bobkoure
2008-02-22, 19:56
I've got this same motherboard.
It works fine with win 2k and XP (went with 2K server because of a slightly smaller "footprint" than XP).
However, when I recently tried, casually (just stuck another boot drive in), to install Ubuntu, it was unhappy with a number of things (trying to remember here - at least the video hardware was unrecognized). Probably quite fixable, but it didn't "just work".
I'd love to know if you get a flavor of Linux installed (and which version and where the drivers came with). I'd imagine that Gos would work right off, as the Gos developers' kit originally came with this board (so you'd expect drivers).
You're right about all the ancillaries (case, power supply) being lots cheaper for atx/micro-atx than itx, though.
Best,

tyler_durden
2008-02-22, 21:22
I installed Kununtu 7.10 and there were no issues at all. Everything worked fine. If I were going to use the machine for desktop use I'd look into hardware specific drivers, but the defaults that came with Kubuntu did the job. The server has been running for almost 2 weeks with no problems. It stays cool as a cucumber- that CPU is really low power- the HDDs throw off about 10X as much heat as the CPU.

I added the squeezecenter nightly repository to sources.list and the SC7 debian package updates work without any screwing around.

To sum up, the mobo provides more than adequate speed while requiring very little power. It installs and runs Kubuntu and SC7 without any issues. There isn't much more to ask of it.

You can DL a live CD for the Kubuntu install and try it out by running it from the CDROM. It is slow, but you'll see if all your hardware is recognized before you try to install on a HDD.

TD