PDA

View Full Version : Controller

audio53
2008-02-07, 23:50
I am running one wired SB3. If I order a new Controller when it comes out do I understand correctly that this just replaces the stock remote, but I gain the advantage of the screen? Since my SB3 screen is hard to see from my listening chair, this seems like a good idea, albeit somewhat expensive at $300. Any other advantages besides what I just mentioned?

Thanks.
Bob

Mitch Harding
2008-02-08, 00:03
One other advantage -- The new controller doesn't use IR, it uses
wireless ethernet, so you don't need need to point the controller at
the SB3 for it to work. You don't even need to be in the same room.

On Feb 8, 2008 12:50 AM, audio53
<audio53.34g9ln1202453701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I am running one wired SB3. If I order a new Controller when it comes
> out do I understand correctly that this just replaces the stock remote,
> but I gain the advantage of the screen? Since my SB3 screen is hard to
> see from my listening chair, this seems like a good idea, albeit
> somewhat expensive at $300. Any other advantages besides what I just
> mentioned?
>
> Thanks.
> Bob
>
>
> --
> audio53
>
> FLAC or WAV->SB3->Yamaha RX-595->Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> audio53's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=5576
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43223
>
>

JJZolx
2008-02-08, 01:54
I am running one wired SB3. If I order a new Controller when it comes out do I understand correctly that this just replaces the stock remote, but I gain the advantage of the screen?

Yes, but you'll need to set up a WIFI network to use it.

Nostromo
2008-02-08, 05:53
You're not only buying a fancy remote, but also another Squeezebox. You can plug headphones or speakers in it.

aubuti
2008-02-08, 06:03
You're not only buying a fancy remote, but also another Squeezebox. You can plug headphones or speakers in it.
Although at present, nothing will come out of those headphones or speakers because the jack hasn't been activated yet. But that's definitely in the works.

SuperQ
2008-02-08, 08:34
Yes, but you'll need to set up a WIFI network to use it.

(For clarification)

Only if you don't get the Squeezebox Receiver combo. The Receiver will create an adhoc network for the Controller to use. I'm not sure if they were going to add this function to the SB3

jmourik
2008-02-08, 14:36
Although at present, nothing will come out of those headphones or speakers because the jack hasn't been activated yet. But that's definitely in the works.
What about reading email and browsing the internet? :-)

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-08, 16:16
What about reading email and browsing the internet? :-)

Not that either - but seeing as the unit can connect to the Internet to retrieve updates and even read Flickr photos, then it's possible.

bpa
2008-02-08, 16:27
You can view the latest forum posts if you install the Infobrowser addon from here
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?InformationBrowser

ModelCitizen
2008-02-09, 04:48
I am really enjoying the luxury of reading stuff via the Controller, i.e

1) Lyrics for songs i'm playing (via Lyric applet/plugin)
2) Full album reviews and artist biogs of any music in my library (via bespoke entries in Comments tag)
3) SlimDevices forum posts (via Information Browser addon)
5) Various news sources including Slashdot (via default Information Browser set up)
4) BBC News and Sports (via Information Browser addon)
5) BBC Radio and TV What's On (via Information Browser addon - thanks bpa!)

Is there anything else I can add available... or have I exhausted the current possibilities?

There are various other forums I'd like to view too and I'm vaguely wondering if a virtually non-programmer like myself would stand any chance of copying and adapting the Slim Devices forums plugin to read other similar forums?

MC

bpa
2008-02-09, 05:13
I'm working on an Infomationbrowser Addons to show recently played playlist on SomaFM, SkyFM, ClassicFM and Radio Paradise.

I was getting annoyed when playing with WMA streams you do not get playlist info.

Triode
2008-02-09, 06:29
There are various other forums I'd like to view too and I'm vaguely wondering if a virtually non-programmer like myself would stand any chance of copying and adapting the Slim Devices forums plugin to read other similar forums?
MC
The addon is currently designed specifically for the Slim Forum, but it should tweekable to support other vBullitin forums which support an RSS feed and and archive web pages. Let me have a think about this.

ModelCitizen
2008-02-09, 10:38
The addon is currently designed specifically for the Slim Forum, but it should tweekable to support other vBullitin forums which support an RSS feed and and archive web pages. Let me have a think about this.
Only vBullitin then? :-(
www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/rss-1.html

MC

Triode
2008-02-09, 16:13
Only vBullitin then? :-(
www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/rss-1.html
MC

You should be able to add any rss feed like that to the information browser list. This will only give you the latest post for a thread not all posts. The SlimForum one reads the archive for a thread to get all posts - this is the bit which is vBullitin specific.

Go to Settings - Plugins - Infomation Browser
Select Edit and "New Entry" then add this url and a title and it should show up.