PDA

View Full Version : SoftSqueeze not playing

VoI
2008-02-06, 07:43
I have just installed SlimServer on my Windows Home Server box, integrated with iTunes. (iTunes isn't running on the WHS box, but I've moved the whole iTunes library, including ITL and XML files, onto a share on WHS.)

The good news is that all of my music appears in the SlimServer UI, along with all of my iTunes playlists, etc, so I think the basic SlimServer set-up is OK. iTunes seems happy too: I can play music from the WHS using iTunes, and can sync my iPod, etc.

The bad news is that I can't get any music to play using SoftSqueeze. (I don't have a real SqueezeBox yet, although that's the plan if I can get SlimServer working well from WHS.) I can browse tracks from the SoftSqueeze (virtual) remote control, but when I try to play them they (almost) immediately go to "Stopped" in the SoftSqueeze display. (Sometimes they briefly show "Now Playing" before going to "Stopped".) I can also send tracks from the SlimServer web UI to the SoftSqueeze player, but although they appear on the SoftSqueeze display, they don't play; they go straight to "Stopped" too. I've tried SoftSqueeze with and without the Java MP3 plugin, and this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Can anyone help me figure out what I've done wrong that is stopping SoftSqueeze from playing? (As you can probably tell, I'm new to SlimServer and SoftSqueeze, so apologies if this is a dumb question.)

Thanks.

Pete

Some configuration info...
Server: Windows Home Server, SlimServer v6.5.4
Client: Windows XP SP2, SoftSqueeze v3.4, Java v1.6.0_03 (with MP3 plugin)

Khuli
2008-02-06, 08:49
You could try clearing the java temporary internet files (different than browser temp files, this is found in the java control panel) - though this doesn't look like it's really the problem.
http://vista.nd.edu/removing_old_java_files.htm

radish
2008-02-06, 09:04
I'd check the firewall, it sounds as if maybe the control connection is working but not the audio one (which is on port 9000 by default).

bpa
2008-02-06, 09:15
Make sure your files do not have DRM.

If the files are AAC/M4a format then you will need to have Quicktime installed on the WHS.

VoI
2008-02-06, 11:22
Thanks to Khuli, radish and bpa for the speedy responses.

In this case the problem wasn't with the Java cache or with the firewall: it was that I hadn't installed the ability to convert from AAC/m4a to MP3 on my Home Server. Instructions for how to do this are at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AAC, so I guess this is a case of RTFM :-(

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Pete