PDA

View Full Version : New Installation

M_SB
2008-02-06, 06:11
I have bought a Squeesebox end of last year and need to install it but i am unsure if i need an internet connection for one to use this device, and also how to set it up further, any help here will be appreciated

Johan

mflint
2008-02-06, 06:58
I have bought a Squeesebox end of last year and need to install it but i am unsure if i need an internet connection for one to use this device, and also how to set it up further, any help here will be appreciated

Johan

No internet connection needed if you're planning to have a local machine running SqueezeCenter (http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/), but you will need an internet connection if you plan to connect to SqueezeNetwork.

But having access to the internet is useful for getting updates to SqueezeCenter, optionally downloading plugins to install, and when you're ripping/tagging music.

Matthew

M_SB
2008-02-06, 07:03
Thanks fro clearing that up. As i have isntalled Slimserver on my laptop and using a Belkin 54G Router to connect wireless to the SB, but my SB after everything is is installed does not find the Slimerver any ideas?

Johan

WeedMonkey
2008-02-06, 07:19
Johan, have you gone through the set-up menu on the Squeezebox to find the network? Is your network encrypted? If so have you entered the encryption key on your Squeezebox?

These are just some things I'd try, not knowing anything further about your setup.

M_SB
2008-02-06, 07:31
Yes i have tried it with WEP 128 Encryption and without, on both cases i can ping the SB from the Laptop, but when i reach the point when say connecting from SB to Server it just hangs. Also Slimserver 6.4 under server setting does not show or pick up the SB, i am fedup and ready to throw the SB out the window.

Johan

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-06, 07:57
More information needed. What OS? (I assume Windows).

What firewall? Have you given SlimServer permission through the firewall?

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WindowsInstallationGuide

M_SB
2008-02-06, 08:10
Yes i am running Windows XP service Pack 2 and have given the Firewall permission no problem there, thanks i have read this document and still no sign that it gets the SB see the Slimserver IP adress. So i am really not getting any where.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-06, 08:29
Are you using DHCP or static IP addresses? (for both laptop and SB)

M_SB
2008-02-07, 04:44
I have tried both Static and DCHP

mflint
2008-02-07, 04:57
Things I'd do (in no particular order):

Make sure that the Squeezebox is finding an IP address using DHCP, and that address is in the same subnet as your slimserver machine
try connecting to slimserver using SoftSqueeze (go to http://127.0.0.1:9000 on your slimserver box, I think you can get to softsqueeze via the 'players' drop-down list in the top-right corner)
ditto, from another machine if you have one
That'll do for a start...

Matthew

M_SB
2008-02-11, 01:17
Hi

Eventually i get the SB to work and stream, no problem. Then i switch it off and try again 2 days later and guess what i can't connect this is really getting to be a Big Time Consuming devise, any ideas?

Johan

CavesOfTQLT
2008-02-11, 03:52
As you're using a laptop are you sure Slimserver/Squeezecenter is set-up to automatically start at boot?

When it comes to IPs, it's standard practice to set static ones to anything that will always be present in a system, i.e. computers, printers, NAS devices, and let DHCP handle the temporary items. Makes life a whole lot easier knowing exactly where your equipment is located on the network.

If the server software is running, and you're using DHCP, it could be the IP lease setting. Set it to 'never' and it should always hold the IPs it gives out, but IIRC these will be lost if the router is ever rebooted. Another reason to go the static IP way.

Hope you get it sorted.