PDA

View Full Version : Server upgrade - sound now dropping out

gborland
2008-02-06, 03:56
I've just upgraded from Slimserver 6.3 to 7.0 unstable. The server hardware hasn't changed (apart from a bigger hard drive), the network (wireless) hasn't changed, the location of the SB3 hasn't changed, but now music is unlistenable - there's constant dropout.

My music library is all Flac, and with SS 6.3 it would quite happily stream wirelessly to the SB3 with no dropout.

What's changed in the server software between 6.3 and 7 which might affect this? If it's relevant, the server is Ubuntu 7.10 server on a PIII 600Mhz with 384MB RAM. It was a clean install of 7.0 and I didn't attempt to keep any of the old configuration.

Interestingly the new server installation streams perfectly to another PC (still wireless) running Softsqueeze. Something peculiar to the SB3 which it doesn't like?

mherger
2008-02-06, 04:14
> Interestingly the new server installation streams perfectly to another
> PC (still wireless) running Softsqueeze. Something peculiar to the SB3
> which it doesn't like?

There have been some firmware versions which didn't like updates. I've needed to do factory reset on some of my SB2/3s in the 6.x series. Might be worth a try: unplug SB, press and hold ADD while powering up. You'll then have to reconfigure the player.

--

Michael

olc
2008-02-06, 08:26
I've just upgraded from Slimserver 6.3 to 7.0 unstable. The server hardware hasn't changed (apart from a bigger hard drive), the network (wireless) hasn't changed, the location of the SB3 hasn't changed, but now music is unlistenable - there's constant dropout.

My music library is all Flac, and with SS 6.3 it would quite happily stream wirelessly to the SB3 with no dropout.

What's changed in the server software between 6.3 and 7 which might affect this? If it's relevant, the server is Ubuntu 7.10 server on a PIII 600Mhz with 384MB RAM. It was a clean install of 7.0 and I didn't attempt to keep any of the old configuration.

Interestingly the new server installation streams perfectly to another PC (still wireless) running Softsqueeze. Something peculiar to the SB3 which it doesn't like?

I had exactly the same issue with a Windows XP system with a Core2Duo and 4GB RAM. Flac files, clean install, etc.

Going back to SS 6.54 fixed it so it is a SC 7.0 thing.

mherger
2008-02-06, 08:58
> Going back to SS 6.54 fixed it so it is a SC 7.0 thing.

You didn't by chance read my previous answer?

--

Michael

gborland
2008-02-06, 14:03
There have been some firmware versions which didn't like updates. I've needed to do factory reset on some of my SB2/3s in the 6.x series. Might be worth a try: unplug SB, press and hold ADD while powering up. You'll then have to reconfigure the player.

Thanks - I've just tried this and it doesn't make any difference. I've also checked the server settings and Flac files are set to play natively on the SB3. (I disabled WAV.)

gborland
2008-02-06, 14:58
I am actually starting to suspect that it's Ubuntu 7.10's fault. This appears to be the most brain-dead, stupid, embarrassing operating system in recent history; it is apparently incapable of enabling DMA on a bog-standard PATA hard drive on a run-of-the-mill motherboard.

So, my main drive is performing at a tiny fraction of its potential speed. This might explain things.

My previous Suse Linux installation, on the same hardware, was perfect in this respect.

olc
2008-02-06, 15:15
> Going back to SS 6.54 fixed it so it is a SC 7.0 thing.

You didn't by chance read my previous answer?

--

Michael

Didn't work for me

Ben Sandee
2008-02-06, 16:22
On Feb 6, 2008 3:58 PM, gborland <
gborland.34dq5z1202335201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I am actually starting to suspect that it's Ubuntu 7.10's fault. This
> appears to be the most brain-dead, stupid, embarrassing operating
> system in recent history; it is apparently incapable of enabling DMA on
> a bog-standard PATA hard drive on a run-of-the-mill motherboard.

When you point one finger, four more point back at you. Think about it.

Ben

JJZolx
2008-02-06, 22:28
Are you guys using the new Default skin in a browser on the same machine running SqueezeCenter 7? It's been known to peg the CPU to 100% in some browsers, particularly Firefox with certain plugins. If that's the case, either try using a different skin or figure out which plugin is conflicting with the new skin.

gborland
2008-02-07, 01:30
When you point one finger, four more point back at you. Think about it.

I'm not sure what you mean. There is a known issue with Ubuntu 7.10 whereby it is lacking the fundamental capability to enable DMA on many common PATA drive/motherboard combinations.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/110636

This is exactly the problem I appear to be having. I am no longer blaming Squeezecenter; I am blaming Ubuntu for being stupid.

Lesu
2008-02-07, 02:11
I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 with Squeezecenter 7.0 - 17225 on a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop 1.7GHz Centrino 500Mb memory.
It runs two SB3's (Firmware 86) perfectly at the same time while playing FLAC files. I'm running the default skin with Firefox with no extra plug-ins.
The SB3's are connected wired through Homeplugs to a router, so no wireless connection.