PDA

View Full Version : Change from iTunes

Timbo22
2008-02-05, 12:57
Hi all.
I need a change from iTunes, looking for recommendations.Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Tim

Shredder
2008-02-05, 13:30
I left iTunes as well. I now use dbpoweramp to rip to FLAC and JRiver to tag and manage the library. Both are easy to set up and use and work perfectly.

Timbo22
2008-02-05, 13:55
I left iTunes as well. I now use dbpoweramp to rip to FLAC and JRiver to tag and manage the library. Both are easy to set up and use and work perfectly.

Hi Shredder,
Thanks for the reply. Does SB find the dpoweramp and JRiver automatically like iTunes? I am in UK I think your recommendations are from USA.
Cheers,
Tim.

Shredder
2008-02-05, 14:09
dbpoweramp rips to whatever drive you designate. JRiver retags impact music on the drive you designate. SS will scan and stream from whichever drive you designate. Not quite as clean as the SS/ITunes relationship, but still pretty easy.

Timbo22
2008-02-05, 14:33
The download from Dbpoweramp says to try is free, then its $18.00 Will that be a problem as I am in uk?
Tim.

tedfroop
2008-02-05, 21:19
Shouldn't be, its just a program for your computer.
I know where your at with leaving Itunes, did it myself a couple months ago when we bought the wife a new pc and her old one came free. I set it up with ubuntu and it just runs Slimserver for both Squeezeboxes. At the same time I converted all my Apple lossless to Flac.

Do you want to change format (flac, aac, mp3) or just change the program you use to manage your music?

What format are you using now - aac, Apple lossless?

It would probably be a good thing to spend some time in the Ripping and Tagging forum looking at posts from people who had the same questions you do

Timbo22
2008-02-06, 12:30
Shouldn't be, its just a program for your computer.
I know where your at with leaving Itunes, did it myself a couple months ago when we bought the wife a new pc and her old one came free. I set it up with ubuntu and it just runs Slimserver for both Squeezeboxes. At the same time I converted all my Apple lossless to Flac.

Do you want to change format (flac, aac, mp3) or just change the program you use to manage your music?

What format are you using now - aac, Apple lossless?

It would probably be a good thing to spend some time in the Ripping and Tagging forum looking at posts from people who had the same questions you do

Hi Tedfroop,
Thanks for replying.

I dont know what format, not up on the technical side. The reason I want to get rid of iTunes, is that when I load an ordinary CD using iTunes, and scan. The tracks appear 3 times in Squeezecentre.
Thus an eght track album appears and plays 24 tracks, three times each song.

On the iTunes list the album looks fine, and in my PC, again fine. But in SqueezeCentre there they are, and I cant delete from SC, any ideas?
Will look in the Ripping and tagging threads.
Many thanks,
Tim.

MuckleEck
2008-02-08, 04:01
I moved away from itunes a few months ago as well for a number of reasons, but now use the following:-

1. Rip to FLAC with dBpoweramp
2. Manage with MediaMonkey
3. Some extra tagging with MP3Tag if required (predominately classical tracks)
4. Play with Squeezecenter

Life is now so easy using this, I found itunes was bad at tagging classical and even worse at getting album art.