PDA

View Full Version : Date Added?

gandt
2008-02-05, 06:51
Would it be possible (or is it already) to look at files by the date they were added? I realise "new music" ordinarily indicates the most recent additions but Im busy coping lots of files over from my terastation to the slimserver running on my windows home server box so in fact "new music" usually means - "most recently copied over" rather than "most recently ripped". Its a feature Ive seen on some upnp servers but I can see if it exists on Slimserver

thanks

Graham

Zaragon
2008-02-05, 13:03
That's basically the same thing. The date they were added to your WHS is the date they were copied which is also the date on which they were created.

What I can't remember is whether the date last accessed changes in a copy.

You could do with a program that copies files and then sets the create date to the same as previously.

However, I'd guess this puts the files in a different location as far as the Slimserver is concerned so they would appear as new music to the database since it doesn't know that they are the same music files. I believe the newly added music is from when they are added to the database rather than their file dates. Those, I think, are only used to determine if a known file has changed.

gandt
2008-02-05, 13:43
I think you are probably right and i guess slim can't know date ripped - or can it - is this a standard tag? It'd be useful for getting at recently acquire tracks as opposed to those that happen to have been added most recently.

graham

JJZolx
2008-02-05, 18:17
I think you are probably right and i guess slim can't know date ripped - or can it - is this a standard tag? It'd be useful for getting at recently acquire tracks as opposed to those that happen to have been added most recently.

SlimServer uses the date that a file was last modified for sorting New Music. Normally, when you move files or copy them from place to place they maintain the last modified date. When you rip a CD and encode the file, you're creating it new and the last modified date should be when you ripped it.

If at a later date you tag the file using some tagging software, the last modified timestamp will generally be updated. Some taggers let you maintain the old timestamp so that when you fix or add new tags to existing files you can keep them from bubbling to the top of New Music.

You can also get creative if you have software to modify the last modified date and times, and set them to whatever you like.

gandt
2008-02-06, 04:52
I imagined that maybe some ripping tools automatically wrote a tag that meant "date ripped" and then wondered if that could be accessed by slimerver or any of its plug ins. FWiW mine are pretty much all ripped by Jriver Media Centre which does have "date imported" as a library tag but i dont know if thats a "standard" tag for the likes of slimserver to read...

graham

verdemar
2008-02-25, 05:48
Wouldn't it be more correct to use the created timestamp to select "new music"?

I find it kind of irritating that the "new music" list is full of music that I recently retagged, but that has been in my library for ages.

Secret Squirrel
2008-02-25, 05:59
Wouldn't it be more correct to use the created timestamp to select "new music"?

I find it kind of irritating that the "new music" list is full of music that I recently retagged, but that has been in my library for ages.

Verdemar,

I had the same issue, but read a couple of posts in the past that tell you to change a setting in your tagging software to not change the file date when updating tags. It seems as most tagging software has that option. MP3Tag definitely does and made all the difference for me.

HTH,

SS

Robin Bowes
2008-02-25, 06:02
verdemar wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more correct to use the created timestamp to select "new
> music"?
>
> I find it kind of irritating that the "new music" list is full of music
> that I recently retagged, but that has been in my library for ages.

So, don't modify the timestamp when you update the tags.

R.

verdemar
2008-02-25, 06:11
Yes, the problem is that my tagging software won't allow it (and they will not implement it as it is incorrect behaviour). Which is true, I guess. I'm using MusicBrainz Picard.

I found a bug for this issue, so please vote for it if you have the same problem.

Edit: the bug here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1330

Robin Bowes
2008-02-25, 07:34
verdemar wrote:
> Yes, the problem is that my tagging software won't allow it (and they
> will not implement it as it is incorrect behaviour). Which is true, I
> guess. I'm using MusicBrainz Picard.

It's not incorrect behaviour. It's not correct behaviour either. It is
down to the user to choose. Some people might want to leave the
timestamp, others may not.

I suggest that MusicBrainz are being rather dogmatic in insisting that
you can't have the choice.

R.

SilverRS8
2008-02-25, 08:53
Yes, the problem is that my tagging software won't allow it (and they will not implement it as it is incorrect behaviour). Which is true, I guess. I'm using MusicBrainz Picard.

I found a bug for this issue, so please vote for it if you have the same problem.

Edit: the bug here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1330

Tag & Rename lets you choose wether to update the timestamp when changing tags or leave it as is was.

Personally I miss an option sorting by date when viewing i.e. files in the music folder. That way it would be easy to find out what the newest music is even when its not anymore in the 'new music' list.

Frank

slimpy
2008-02-25, 09:43
Tag & Rename lets you choose wether to update the timestamp when changing tags or leave it as is was.

Personally I miss an option sorting by date when viewing i.e. files in the music folder. That way it would be easy to find out what the newest music is even when its not anymore in the 'new music' list.
Just set the "New Music Limit" in server settings to something like 99999 and everything will always be in the new music list.
At least until you reach 99999 albums, of course ;-)
Btw, this only works for the web and SB interface. The number of items on the controller's new music list seems to be fixed.

-s.

verdemar
2008-02-25, 10:59
verdemar wrote:[color=blue]
I suggest that MusicBrainz are being rather dogmatic in insisting that
you can't have the choice.

You sound like the more pragmatic type ;-)

I agree, but I also believe it would be more appropriate and coherent if the "new music" was actually reflecting the new files, rather than last modified files.

water
2008-05-20, 12:37
SlimServer uses the date that a file was last modified for sorting New Music. Normally, when you move files or copy them from place to place they maintain the last modified date. When you rip a CD and encode the file, you're creating it new and the last modified date should be when you ripped it.

If at a later date you tag the file using some tagging software, the last modified timestamp will generally be updated. Some taggers let you maintain the old timestamp so that when you fix or add new tags to existing files you can keep them from bubbling to the top of New Music.

I'm really surprised at how bad Slim has implemented this. It's clearly very bad behavior for a piece of software to decide that "modified date" should be interpreted as "added date" when "added date" actually exists for the purpose of specifying the date the track was added to the database. And just for the record, "modified date" is there to tell when a track was - dramatic pause - modified!

Does anyone know of an easy way to hack this in the code? (I'm really fed up with old tracks & albums showing up in the "new" list just because I've corrected some tags...)

:water

sebp
2008-05-20, 14:52
I'm really surprised at how bad Slim has implemented this.
They did it the way they could, since there is no standard tag for handling the "date ripped" information, and some file formats don't support tags at all.
One could imagine adding a DB field to hold a kind of "first time scanned" date, but this would vanish on full rescans.

Even if your tagging software doesn't support file mtime preservation, you can find some tools that will just take care of it.

erland
2008-05-20, 15:24
Does anyone know of an easy way to hack this in the code? (I'm really fed up with old tracks & albums showing up in the "new" list just because I've corrected some tags...)

The TrackStat plugin will remember the "modified last" time from the first time you've added a track to the SqueezeCenter library. However, it won't today modify the times in the standard SqueezeCenter database tables, so you will need to use the Custom Browse plugin to get a "New Music" menu that works as you like after you've installed TrackStat.

This won't solve the current times for the files in your SqueezeCenter library, but it will make it work correctly in the future when you change/add files.