PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Loses Connection with SlimServer

jeffmeh
2008-02-04, 09:28
One of my SB3s keeps losing it connection with SlimServer. There is no regular pattern, but it probably happens about once every day and a half. The screen will go blank. When I hold the left arrow on the remote and go back into network setup, it finds the wireless network and connects, but fails to connect to SlimServer (the screen goes blank again). To get it to reconnect to SlimServer, I have to power cycle the router.

The other SB3s on the network do not have this problem. I have tried both dynamic and static IP addresses and each experience the same problem. I even temporarily ran an ethernet cable to the SB3 (I put the SB3 within 6 feet of the router) and connected to SlimServer fine using the ethernet network setup. But when I switched the network setup to wireless (same location, ethernet cable still installed), it could not connect to SlimServer without resetting the router.

From my testing I can conclude the following:
1) It is not a typical wireless flakiness issue, because the SB3 finds and connects to the wireless network without any problem
2) However, it is wireless-related, because it does not occur with ethernet
3) It is not a general problem with my network, because the other SB3s are fine
4) It appears to be a problem with the SB3 itself.

I am running SlimServer 6.5.1 on an Infrant ReadyNAS X6, connected throuth ethernet to a Belkin Pre-N router. The SB3 is connected wirelessly, with WPA encryption and MAC filtering, and is running firmware 81.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

maggior
2008-02-04, 11:57
To ensure that it isn't an issue with either the SB3 or the location of it, can you swap the problematic SB3 with one that has been working fine? If the problem stays with the location, I think you might have a reception issue at that location. Though it's odd that rebooting the router rectifies the problem.

Regardless, I think it is a good experiment to try, especially since you have the luxury of having multiple SB3s to work with.

jeffmeh
2008-02-04, 19:36
To ensure that it isn't an issue with either the SB3 or the location of it, can you swap the problematic SB3 with one that has been working fine? If the problem stays with the location, I think you might have a reception issue at that location. Though it's odd that rebooting the router rectifies the problem.

Regardless, I think it is a good experiment to try, especially since you have the luxury of having multiple SB3s to work with.

I have the problematic SB3 within 6 feet of the router to see if the issue reoccurs. If it does, then I will rule out a location problem.

jeffmeh
2008-02-05, 12:45
In the meantime, any ideas as to why power cycling the SB3, or going through network setup, does not get it to reconnect to SlimServer, while power cycling the router does?

Siduhe
2008-02-05, 12:48
Do you have static IPs for each of the SBs, or does your router dole them out each time via DCHP? Could be an ip conflict with an existing bit of equipment - would certainly explain why a router reboot sorts it out, but not an SB reboot.

I would try allocating a static IP to the troublesome SB outside of the DCHP range of your router - so if your range is 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.100, make the SB 192.168.0.101.

Zaragon
2008-02-05, 13:11
I've had problems in the past where the Access Point wireless signal has severly degraded for no apparant reason and it has taken either a power cycle or cycling the radio to recover it. That would give similar symptoms though this may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

jeffmeh
2008-02-05, 13:31
Do you have static IPs for each of the SBs, or does your router dole them out each time via DCHP? Could be an ip conflict with an existing bit of equipment - would certainly explain why a router reboot sorts it out, but not an SB reboot.

I would try allocating a static IP to the troublesome SB outside of the DCHP range of your router - so if your range is 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.100, make the SB 192.168.0.101.

I already use a static IP for this one (I have tried both dynamic and static and the problem persists). The irony is that the trouble-free SB3 still uses a dynamic IP address.

jeffmeh
2008-02-05, 13:34
I've had problems in the past where the Access Point wireless signal has severly degraded for no apparant reason and it has taken either a power cycle or cycling the radio to recover it. That would give similar symptoms though this may or may not have anything to do with your problem.

I would expect that type of problem to affect the other SB3s and wireless computers around the house, but that is not happening in my case. Strange indeed.

jeffmeh
2008-02-05, 17:52
Yet another clue: When the SB3 fails as described and cannot connect to SlimServer, if I go into SS with the web UI I see that SS thinks that the SB3 is still connected. I can even start/stop/control the music selection in SS, although obviously nothing really plays.

Does this shed any additional light?

jeffmeh
2008-02-14, 05:40
Well, I switched the locations of the two SB3s. On day 6, the problematic one lost connection with the SlimServer again. I guess I need to contact support.