PDA

View Full Version : Great news! I finally bought an amp ! No poll.. ;-)

EnochLight
2008-02-03, 10:05
After countless (what would seem) years of searching for that perfect micro-amp to complement my livingroom Squeezebox, I broke down and decided to get an AudioSource Amp 200. (http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-Amp-200-High-Current-Amplifier/dp/B0006VHZHO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202057398&sr=1-4)

Due to its small size, for a while I was actually leaning towards a T-Amp, but the anemic wattage just didn't sit well with me (especially seeing as how my listening area is fairly large and most of my preferred listening embodies a lot of pop music).

So I decided to throw in the towel and get a regular sized amp and throw it behind the couch out of the way. Hence, no need to worry about amp size anymore! ;-P Besides, that's where my subwoofer hides so it's not like I don't already utilize the space. I will be using it to drive a set of Bose Acoustimass 5's.

So with AudioSource's Amp 200 (http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-Amp-200-High-Current-Amplifier/dp/B0006VHZHO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1202057398&sr=1-4) I have solved my amp issue... well, at least most of the requirements. Good wattage (80 watts RMS x 2), and auto-sensing on/off... but what about a little tone control?

Anybody know of any micro-sized equalizers out there?

*ducks and hides*

[UPDATE]

I just bought an EQ to add to the signal chain. I found this affordable piece of kit from Behringer called the FBQ800 (part of their mini line). It's just large enough for my Squeezebox to sit on top and only consumes 7 watts of power, so if I leave it on, no big deal. It's only 9 bands but right now I'm only using 2 bands in the form of an integrated bass/tone knob on an old Onkyo. Looking forward to setting this up this weekend! Wahoo!

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-03, 10:19
I will be using it to drive a set of Bose Acoustimass 5's.

*ducks and hides*

<grabs a bag of popcorn and waits for the show>

EnochLight
2008-02-03, 10:26
Originally Posted by EnochLight "I will be using it to drive a set of Bose Acoustimass 5's. *ducks and hides*"
<grabs a bag of popcorn and waits for the show>

LOL, yeah I know. Those Bose are an acquired taste, I suppose. That said they do sound halfway decent though, and look great while doing so.

ModelCitizen
2008-02-03, 13:15
most of my preferred listening embodies a lot of pop music
There is obviously no hope at all then.
:=}

MC

EnochLight
2008-02-03, 14:28
There is obviously no hope at all then.
:=}

MC

Now now, no need for that. What's "pop" in my household would not qualify as "pop" anywhere else in the world. Trust me. ;-)

haunyack
2008-02-03, 14:47
What's "pop" in my household would not qualify as "pop" anywhere else in the world.

+1

SuperQ
2008-02-04, 01:09
According to many, a 9 band EQ is nearly useless for any kind of corrections, and may cause phase problems. You're better off using the Inguz correction/EQ server plugin.

Phil Leigh
2008-02-04, 05:24
See the thing is...you wouldn't need that EQ if it wasn't for those Bose's (runs and hides behind sofa...aargh it's full of amp and subwooofer!)

msherman
2008-02-04, 06:10
Phil Leigh wrote:
> See the thing is...you wouldn't need that EQ if it wasn't for those
> Bose's (runs and hides behind sofa...aargh it's full of amp and
> subwooofer!)

At least his stereo is safe from Daleks...

- Marc

EnochLight
2008-02-04, 21:47
According to many, a 9 band EQ is nearly useless for any kind of corrections, and may cause phase problems. You're better off using the Inguz correction/EQ server plugin.

Meh.. I'd take that with a grain of salt. The only reason a 9-band EQ would be useless is if the bands overlapped - that's what causes phasing. The EQ I purchased does not overlap frequencies.

Be that as it may, the Inguz plugin is neat and all, but does not work for audio streamed over SqueezeNetwork - where I spend at least 75% percent of my time. Thus, I am forced to use a hardware EQ.

EnochLight
2008-02-04, 21:49
See the thing is...you wouldn't need that EQ if it wasn't for those Bose's (runs and hides behind sofa...aargh it's full of amp and subwooofer!)

You see, this is why I didn't post this in the Audiophile forum, because I knew that even mentioning that I was using Bose as my speakers would cause all of these cute comments.

;-P

Funny though, I wonder why all of the hostility towards Bose? I've heard much worse; the Acoustimass sound better than most others in their price/design range...

haunyack
2008-02-04, 21:59
You see, this is why I didn't post this in the Audiophile forum, because I knew that even mentioning that I was using Bose as my speakers would cause all of these cute comments.

;-P

Funny though, I wonder why all of the hostility towards Bose? I've heard much worse; the Acoustimass sound better than most others in their price/design range...

Don't worry about the snobs...it's fashionable in so called "audiophile" circles to be a Bose basher.
Those elite individuals would tell you "it's about the music.. if your happy with the sound" ... blah blah blah - veiled hypocrisy.
You know...sheep mentality and all - people like to feel they belong.

The bottom line is that it is YOUR system, not theirs.
Enjoy the music despite the nay-sayers.

EnochLight
2008-02-04, 22:06
Don't worry about the snobs...it's fashionable in so called "audiophile" circles to be a Bose basher.
You know...sheep mentality and all - people like to feel they belong.

Thanks for that - I was starting to feel like I had some sort of mental disability just for purchasing them. ;-) That said, they really do sound good, and look good while doing so. Hell, I'm happy with 'em. I'm 37 and have been using all sorts of speakers since I was old enough to buy my own in the mid-1980's, so it's not like I don't have experience in speaker judgment.

Sheep mentality indeed!