PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Directories Scan

jordi.c
2008-02-03, 05:51
Hi,

I have two harddrives which should be scanned by SlimServer.

One harddrive is in my NAS (Thecus) this harddisk is based on Linux.

The other harddrive is in my Windows system (NTFS file system).

I read other threads. These topics gives as solution placing a shortcut. However this ain't working for me.

I placed the shortcut in the root of the Scan directory of the NAS.

JJZolx
2008-02-03, 13:05
I have two harddrives which should be scanned by SlimServer.

One harddrive is in my NAS (Thecus) this harddisk is based on Linux.

The other harddrive is in my Windows system (NTFS file system).

I read other threads. These topics gives as solution placing a shortcut. However this ain't working for me.

I placed the shortcut in the root of the Scan directory of the NAS.

On which system is SlimServer running?

What I recommend is creating an empty local folder on the SlimServer machine and setting it as your Music Folder in SlimServer. Then place shortcuts to each separate music location into this folder.

The key to making the shortcuts work correctly is that they must be from the viewpoint of the SlimServer machine. If you create shortcuts from a different machine on your network using drive letter paths, then they'll very likely be wrong on the server itself. On a Windows system you can edit a shortcut by right-clicking and examining the Properties, then editing the Target as needed.

Avoid using mapped drive letters for any network folders. Use UNC paths instead. http://www.uwplatt.edu/oit/terms/uncpath.html

jordi.c
2008-02-03, 13:23
On which system is SlimServer running?

What I recommend is creating an empty local folder on the SlimServer machine and setting it as your Music Folder in SlimServer. Then place shortcuts to each separate music location into this folder.

The key to making the shortcuts work correctly is that they must be from the viewpoint of the SlimServer machine. If you create shortcuts from a different machine on your network using drive letter paths, then they'll very likely be wrong on the server itself. On a Windows system you can edit a shortcut by right-clicking and examining the Properties, then editing the Target as needed.

Avoid using mapped drive letters for any network folders. Use UNC paths instead. http://www.uwplatt.edu/oit/terms/uncpath.html

Ok, I did not try to make one folder and place there shortcuts to both sources.

SlimServer is running on the Linux based NAS. Can my NAS scan for NTFS based filesystem?

JJZolx
2008-02-03, 13:42
SlimServer is running on the Linux based NAS. Can my NAS scan for NTFS based filesystem?

Have you created a share on the Windows system? I don't think you can use a Windows shortcut, though, since the server is running on Linux. Instead, you'll need to create a symlink to the Windows share.

funkstar
2008-02-03, 16:22
Ok, I did not try to make one folder and place there shortcuts to both sources.

Why do you want to do it like this Jordi? it really isn't going to be easy.

These are the rough steps, I can't tell you the specifics, I know what to do, but not how to do them :)

1. Turn on file sharing in windows and share the drive with the music to the rest of your network.
2. Install the SSH module for the N5200.
3. Install an SSH client on the PC.
4. Create a symlink to the windows share on the N5200.

This *should* work. I would't want to do it this way though (even if i did know how)

jordi.c
2008-02-03, 16:26
Why do you want to do it like this Jordi? it really isn't going to be easy.

These are the rough steps, I can't tell you the specifics, I know what to do, but not how to do them :)

1. Turn on file sharing in windows and share the drive with the music to the rest of your network.
2. Install the SSH module for the N5200.
3. Install an SSH client on the PC.
4. Create a symlink to the windows share on the N5200.

This *should* work. I would't want to do it this way though (even if i did know how)

Hi Funkstar,

The reason is I have a lot of music not sorted out on my windows pc.
Now my NAS is full I thought I can play these files by creating a shortcut.

However I see it is not as easy by just placing a shortcut in folder A locating to folder B, I'm not going to do this with my music files.

Now I have another good reason to expand my RAID array heheeh.

funkstar
2008-02-04, 10:27
Yeah i think thats the best idea :)

If it was the other way around, running SlimServer on your PC, it would be pretty easy to just create a shortcut to the share on the N5200 and get SlimServer to scan that too.