PDA

View Full Version : Any plans on Jive desktop application?

signor_rossi
2008-02-01, 02:44
Compiled Jive on my debian box and it seems so much snappier than the web interface, so a desktop Jive application with control buttons and rearranged interface would be very nice.

Bye, signor_rossi.

slimpy
2008-02-01, 02:48
I think there are plans to replace Softsqueeze with a jive based application.

-s.

mflint
2008-02-01, 04:20
I think there are plans to replace Softsqueeze with a jive based application.

-s.

Oh - I'd be disappointed if SoftSqueeze goes away, as it was instrumental in my decision to buy the first SqueezeBox!

Making a jive-based application more widely available is a good idea, but it would be better as a companion to SoftSqueeze, not a replacement.

Matthew

rtitmuss
2008-02-01, 04:38
Oh - I'd be disappointed if SoftSqueeze goes away, as it was instrumental in my decision to buy the first SqueezeBox!

Making a jive-based application more widely available is a good idea, but it would be better as a companion to SoftSqueeze, not a replacement.

Yes, we do have plans to release a desktop version of the Jive software, it will be called SqueezePlay. At the moment we are all working hard on getting SqueezeCenter 7.0 and the Squeezebox Duet ready for release, work on the desktop version will start after those products are shipping.

We will be adding audio playback to SqueezePlay, so it will be possible to use it as a replacement for SoftSqueeze. That said SoftSqueeze won't be going away, it is an open source project and people will always be free to use it.

Richard

Zaragon
2008-02-02, 07:01
I'm glad softsqueeze isn't going away. I think it works great as a way to try out the interfaces on the SB3, transporter before buying and I have found it really useful for my wife as she can use it on her PC and it has identical controls and functionality to the hardware one. No retraining necessary :)

NFLnut
2008-02-02, 20:50

Same here. I was intrigued with the SB3, and thought seriously about checking into it, but about five minutes after installing and playing around with Softsqueeze I placed my order.

Softsqueeze is an elegant way of not only playing Squeezecenter music on a remote computer, but is a great demonstration of just what the SB3 can do. Since you can't walk into Worst Buy and see one in the flesh, it's definitely a plus!

peter
2008-02-03, 05:01
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 19:50:59 -0800, "NFLnut"
<NFLnut.346rxn1202010901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> said:
>
> mflint;264623 Wrote:
> > Oh - I'd be disappointed if SoftSqueeze goes away, as it was
> > instrumental in my decision to buy the first SqueezeBox!
>
> Same here. I was intrigued with the SB3, and thought seriously about
> checking into it, but about five minutes after installing and playing
> around with Softsqueeze I placed my order.
>
> Softsqueeze is an elegant way of not only playing Squeezecenter music
> on a remote computer, but is a great demonstration of just what the SB3
> can do. Since you can't walk into Worst Buy and see one in the flesh,
> it's definitely a plus!

Just as I intended it to be ;)
Very well done indeed by Richard!

Still, there's no reason the Jive desktop, sorry Squeeze Player,
couldn't perform the same try-before-you-buy function for the
Duet/Controller combo. I wonder if we're going to see a small
rectangular black box with a colored led on our desktops ;)

Regards,
Peter

peterw
2008-02-03, 09:47
Still, there's no reason the Jive desktop, sorry Squeeze Player,
couldn't perform the same try-before-you-buy function for the
Duet/Controller combo. I wonder if we're going to see a small
rectangular black box with a colored led on our desktops ;)

SoftSqueeze is absolutely critical for developing plugins and SC modifications for non-Receiver players. If there's no major change in the non-Receiver players or SlimProto, there's little reason for anyone to update SoftSqueeze. But if there's new hardware that uses the IR/VFD UI, SoftSqueeze must be updated for that.

I'm sure Richard et. al. know this by now, but I really, really don't want to see the IR/VFD model replaced by Jive/"SqueezeOS". I guess the market may largely determine what happens -- if the SB3 and Transporter continue to sell well, hopefully Logitech will see the wisdom of not abandoning the IR/VFD model.

I do like the Jive/SBC UI, but I think it is best as a complement to the VFD players -- the SBC is really nice for creating playlists without "taking over" the display of the Squeezebox so the others in the room can still see what's currently playing, and don't have to follow every darn move of the SBC user. This is especially true since the SBC uses a scroll wheel -- scroll wheel UIs like the iPod naturally tend to "overshoot" often, and the only thing worse than having to use a UI that overshoots (down, down, down, oops, up) is having to watch someone else work with such a UI. I do wonder if Logitech is planning a Squeezebox4 that looks like a digital picture frame, runs Jive, and uses a simplified remote whose IR codes are not processed by SC7. I hope not, as I think watching someone "drive" such a thing would be like watching someone reconfigure a media server on a big HD TV -- not fun.

jason3fc
2008-02-20, 14:55
I like the prospect of Squeezeplay acting as another controller, in basically the direct opposite of what the last poster said, I'd be interested in squeezeplay I could run on the PC hooked up to my TV and have it act as another SQueezeBox I could sync and control not only on the machine itself, but also with the Duet controller. Would this be possible?

schatzy
2008-02-20, 15:10
I think SqeezePlay could be very useful as a application for touch screen use. Just have a small 10" - 12" touch screen on the wall and use that as a control for a duet or squeezebox. From the pictures in the Wiki it looks like it would be very easy to use.

bhaagensen
2008-02-20, 15:45
... watching someone "drive" such a thing would be like watching someone reconfigure a media server on a big HD TV -- not fun.

Haha, nice analogy! At least one would need the biggest bucket of popcorn ever seen to hide in. I've never understood the whole everything-is-best-on-a-40in-HDTV thing, nor for that matter that things always must be shown in hi-res full color rastergraphics.

Anyway the point is, the Controller is nice, but the VFD covers basic usability need extremely well, so I think it is a good idea to keep it.

B.

Mark Lanctot
2008-02-21, 06:51
I like the prospect of Squeezeplay acting as another controller, in basically the direct opposite of what the last poster said, I'd be interested in squeezeplay I could run on the PC hooked up to my TV and have it act as another SQueezeBox I could sync and control not only on the machine itself, but also with the Duet controller. Would this be possible?

Since the SBC talks to SqueezeCenter, yes.

signor_rossi
2008-02-21, 08:09
I think SqeezePlay could be very useful as a application for touch screen use. Just have a small 10" - 12" touch screen on the wall and use that as a control for a duet or squeezebox. From the pictures in the Wiki it looks like it would be very easy to use.

Had something like that in mind when I asked ;) To be precise it was my Nokia770 with its' 4" screen. Already tried with VNC, but that was somewhat slow. But for "wall" you wouldn't just need a display, you would need a computer too (be it a panel PC or a display with a Thin client), and such setups would be quite expensive. :(
I am quite curious how the Jive app for bigger displays will look like though, and how much configurable (if at all) it will be.

Bye, signor_rossi.

schatzy
2008-02-21, 09:43
But for "wall" you wouldn't just need a display, you would need a computer too (be it a panel PC or a display with a Thin client), and such setups would be quite expensive. :(

Already have the computer and wiring done to support a monitor in the wall so just need the touch screen. Prices are coming down now less than $400 for a 10" or here for less than $300.00
http://www.thenerds.net/MIRACLE_BUSINESS.Miracle_LT10B_LCD_Monitor_104_800 _x_600_75Hz_25ms_0264mm_3001_Black.LT10B.html?affi d=1&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=07-46783220-2&affid=3

Also see this thread where some one is already doing it with at the time of posting using a custom interface. They posted Pictures.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16775

And at least in SS6.5.4 there was a touch screen skin incorporated. http://127.0.0.1:9000/touch/

Have not tried this on SC7 yet but i can hope

Schatzy