PDA

View Full Version : Static spark to transporter knob and displays whacked out

2eleven
2008-01-29, 20:15
Walked over to the TP today, reached for the knob and got a friendly static shock (probably from walking around on my carpet beforehand). This made both displays shift to the left with garbage filling in the void at the right side of the displays. Unplugging and replugging in the TP fixed the displays, and everything seems fine, but I wanted to get some reassurance that I haven't damaged anything. The ESD training at my company makes it seem like doomsday if electronics are subjected to sparks...

Thanks,

John

seanadams
2008-01-29, 21:12
You haven't done any permanent damage. It sounds like the ESD caused a glitch on the interface between the display and the processor, which put them out of sync. They're re-synced on reset.

If ESD is a significant problem in your house, you may want to ground yourself by touching the chassis first, as this is a shorter path than through the knob. But in any case this is the first report we've had of any functional issue so it may have been a one-time fluke.

zanash
2008-01-30, 03:43
how about grounding the chassis of the unit to earth ?

or even the carpet ?

interesting notion

iPhone
2008-01-30, 09:44
The ESD training at my company makes it seem like doomsday if electronics are subjected to sparks...

Thanks,

John

Hello John,

ESD is mainly a concern of ICs/circuit boards that are uninstalled or being handled. Most ICs once installed in equipment only need to worry about a nuclear blast (EMP) or lightening.

My Media Room is in the basement which is carpeted. We have a whole house dehumidifier that never lets the humidity get above 35%. With the heat running in the winter, humidity gets well below 20% (lots of static) so anybody walking in the basement is in for a shock when touching any light switch or home electronics.

I installed an ESD Static Strap plug-in (I am an RF Engineer, so I had one laying about) beside my In-Wall equipment shelves. I touch the female banana inlet to discharge the built up static before touching any of my equipment. This is not really to safeguard the equipment but more of a time saver for me. The main thing that happens if I touch equipment first is that my HT Processor will turn on or any equipment with a clock or memory setting resets to zero or their default. Then I have to reset the time and reprogram my components.

The equipment in the living room is on a metal Stand Design equipment rack. I have grounded the rack, so I touch it first.

Again this is only a time saver. As long as your equipment is not open so that you could touch ICs directly, finished consumer equipment is fairly immune to personal static discharge. You could touch a wall switch or outlet screw below touching your gear. The easiest thing to do is touch your amp first because most amps have a 3 prong plug on them. ZAP!, you’re discharged with no Transporter issues.

seanadams
2008-01-30, 09:52
how about grounding the chassis of the unit to earth ?

It is already, or at least it should be. It would be a good thing to check that the ground pin on your wall outlet is properly wired.

The idea with touching the chassis first instead of the knob is that it will have the shortest possible path to ground, and thereby be less likely to travel through any electronics. Also I just realized that since the chassis is anodized, the only place where you could get a proper path to ground would be on the steel handles.

or even the carpet ?

Probably there is not much you can do there, short of replacing the whole carpet.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-30, 10:57
erm...surely the case is grounded (connected to mains earth)? I've never seen properly grounded equipment display this behaviour with ESD, but if the ground connection isn't good/there...
(I guess the TP knob might be a special case?)

2eleven
2008-01-30, 11:10
erm...surely the case is grounded (connected to mains earth)? I've never seen properly grounded equipment display this behaviour with ESD, but if the ground connection isn't good/there...
(I guess the TP knob might be a special case?)

The chassis is grounded, and my 3 prong outlets are properly grounded. I think the knob may not be directly mounted to the chassis (or maybe the mount doesn't couple the ground), so the ESD travels through the knob to the internal components on it's way to ground.

John

Phil Leigh
2008-01-30, 11:28
The chassis is grounded, and my 3 prong outlets are properly grounded. I think the knob may not be directly mounted to the chassis (or maybe the mount doesn't couple the ground), so the ESD travels through the knob to the internal components on it's way to ground.

John

That's what I suspected. Should the knob not be grounded as it is an exposed metal element and could become live in a fault condition (since the the TP has an internal mains level supply)?

tomjtx
2008-01-30, 13:27
Shouldn't this problem be moot.
After all it's long been known you should never touch the TP, always use the remote.

Body oils have a negative reaction at the quantum level to the TP even if only touched on the chassis, let alone the knob!

Touching will create negative quantum energy which can only be ameliorated by bybee quantum purifiers.

And replacing the TP knob with a Maple knob.

I have all this for sale, BTW. PM if interested.

Phil Leigh
2008-01-30, 13:30
Shouldn't this problem be moot.
After all it's long been known you should never touch the TP, always use the remote.

Body oils have a negative reaction at the quantum level to the TP even if only touched on the chassis, let alone the knob!

Touching will create negative quantum energy which can only be ameliorated by bybee quantum purifiers.

And replacing the TP knob with a Maple knob.

I have all this for sale, BTW. PM if interested.

I'm not falling for your Maple Knob. It wooden make any difference...

tomjtx
2008-01-30, 13:36
I'm not falling for your Maple Knob. It wooden make any difference...

LOL, very nice

zanash
2008-01-31, 00:25
I assume then that you advocate the self grounding regime for sb3 users ? as that unit does not have an earth conection....

as an aside

fortunately were not afflicted by carpet anymore due to static allergies dust retention etc ....

once removed my wife cough got better and the hifi sounds better as we had sound barrier foam fitted under the laminate flooring